Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
tire rating (lonnie,others?)

OK, I don't NEED tires right now, but will sometime in the not too distant future. I have tacomas on the monty now. I've read the threads on monty tires, and have come away pretty much scratching my head even more.
So...is it possible those with "extra" experience (is that right?) maybe give a listing of say the top three tires for a monty?
puhleeeaaasssseee?
Bill

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #2
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
If you go here http://www.tirerack.com/ there are user opinions on tires.

I don't know if there are opinions on trailer tires though.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Wild Horse, what is the GAWR of your trailer?
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I'd have to check, but I think loaded up 14K? it's a 3650rk
Old 06-13-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Lonnie, I ran over and checked...I have 6K axles.
Bill
Old 06-15-2010, 03:14 AM   #6
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
well, I was expecting a bit more in the reply department, but...

I spent quite a bit more time researching and ended up with my short list of two.

Bridgestone duravis and Michelin XPS...alternates are goodyear 614's and BFG commercial T/A's.
Bill

Old 06-15-2010, 05:00 AM   #7
royando
Established Member

M.O.C. #9021
My list is the same as Wild Horse:
Michelin XPS rib $245 at Tirerack.com
Bridgestone Duravis R500HD $176
Should the Michelin LTX M/S 2 for $179 be concidered (or some other Michelin)?
royando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #8
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Good question Dick.....I looked at the load ratings on pretty much all the michelins and the ltx m/s2 rates up there like the xps rib. It may be a structural/construction issue. Maybe Lonnie can chime in on this.
Bill

Old 06-15-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Commercial T\A's and so far very pleased. I believe it even tows better than it did with missions. Seems to track straighter and appears a smoother ride for the camper.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Sorry for the lengthy delay in answering you Wild Horse. No excuse, just have too many irons in the fire right now.

With 6000 pound axles, either one of your 2 choices will work. I prefer the Bridgestone over the Michelin XPS, but only because of the price. The Michelin XPS is definately the better tire though with all steel construction. That being said, I have installed around 75 of the Bridgestones and 12 of the Michelins on trailers in the last 3 years, and have had no problems with any of them.

The Michelin LTX M/S2 is not an all steel tire like the XPS, and it's not a heavy duty commercial tire like the Bridgestone Duravis or the BFG Commercial T/A. The load rating is the same, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
No sweat Lonnie, don't get burned on all them irons ! Thanks for verifying this for me/us.

When I started looking/researching trailer tires, I figured no big deal...well, that couldn't be further from the truth. I now think tire research is about the most important factor in rv'ing.

Thanks again,
Bill
Old 06-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #12
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I've got the Duravis 500s, and they are doing fine. Plus much cheaper than the GYs or Michelons.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #13
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wild Horse

No sweat Lonnie, don't get burned on all them irons ! Thanks for verifying this for me/us.

When I started looking/researching trailer tires, I figured no big deal...well, that couldn't be further from the truth. I now think tire research is about the most important factor in rv'ing.

Thanks again,
Bill
I wouldn't be such a big deal if the manufacturers would stop cutting corners by putting the cheapest tires they can find on RV's.

Cheap appliances is one thing-cheap, unreliable running gear and tires is quite another!
Old 06-16-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
FastEagle
Established Member

M.O.C. #10291
Maxxis ST235/80R16 LRE would be a good upgrade from a reliable company. A nice increase in load carrying capacity would be a plus.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:01 AM   #15
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Ok gang. This tire thing seems to get opinions from everyone so I decided to get an answer from a long time expert in the field of tires.

Barry Smith's bio is posted as well as his answer to my two questions.

Here us a link to his answers.

http://www.allexperts.com/user.cgi?m...54&qID=4955944

This link is good for 3 days.
Old 06-19-2010, 03:21 AM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
ARJ, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Old 06-19-2010, 03:25 PM   #17
FastEagle
Established Member

M.O.C. #10291
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

Ok gang. This tire thing seems to get opinions from everyone so I decided to get an answer from a long time expert in the field of tires.

Many will misunderstand information provided by Barry Smith. In the quote you have referenced Barry has misrepresented the ST tire by how he described the passenger aspect of the tire. Nowhere in the DOT standards is the ST tire restricted from carrying passengers. Read what it says on your tire if you have them. It says “for trailer us only” - depending on manufacturer. Why? Because that is the particular axle it is exclusively designed to support. There are still 22 states that allow passengers to ride in RV trailers while being towed down the highways.

Notice when Barry describes the reserve quality of the LT tire he refers to the vehicle manufacturer as the chief provider of this reserve. Check the placard on your truck, car or SUV and you will find it there. It’s not built into the tire. A tire with a maximum load carrying capacity of 3000# has no reference to any higher reserve capacity.

Numerous posters in tire threads will jump right on the RV trailer manufacturers bandwagon by going to lower load capacity tires when selecting replacements. Here is a rule of thumb equation I use when determining the strength of my replacement tires. I actually know from numerous trips to the scales what my average GAW is. I take it, 11,500# and multiply by 1.2 then divide by four. That’s the minimum load carrying capacity I will accept for my replacement tires. It’s very close to what the automotive manufacturers provide as their so called reserve.

FastEagle
Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 PM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Old 06-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FastEagle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ARJ

Many will misunderstand information provided by Barry Smith. In the quote you have referenced Barry has misrepresented the ST tire by how he described the passenger aspect of the tire. Nowhere in the DOT standards is the ST tire restricted from carrying passengers. Read what it says on your tire if you have them. It says “for trailer us only” - depending on manufacturer. Why? Because that is the particular axle it is exclusively designed to support. There are still 22 states that allow passengers to ride in RV trailers while being towed down the highways.

Notice when Barry describes the reserve quality of the LT tire he refers to the vehicle manufacturer as the chief provider of this reserve. Check the placard on your truck, car or SUV and you will find it there. It’s not built into the tire. A tire with a maximum load carrying capacity of 3000# has no reference to any higher reserve capacity.

Numerous posters in tire threads will jump right on the RV trailer manufacturers bandwagon by going to lower load capacity tires when selecting replacements. Here is a rule of thumb equation I use when determining the strength of my replacement tires. I actually know from numerous trips to the scales what my average GAW is. I take it, 11,500# and multiply by 1.2 then divide by four. That’s the minimum load carrying capacity I will accept for my replacement tires. It’s very close to what the automotive manufacturers provide as their so called reserve.

FastEagle
Like Ron White says "There aint no cure for stupid".
Old 06-19-2010, 07:04 PM   #20
FastEagle
Established Member

M.O.C. #10291

[/quote]

Like Ron White says "There aint no cure for stupid".

[/quote]

Yep, Barry does say some funny things.

FastEagle