Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 AM   #1
wanderer1

M.O.C. #7760
Low lp pressure

We have a 2007 2599rl. Near the end of our NY camping season my wife was fixing dinner when she said we ran out of gas. I turned off the curb side tank and switched to the drivers side tank and nothing. Thinking that both tanks were empty I removed the drivers side tank and found it was full. I did some checking and found a sharp kink in the hose connecting the black pipe to the main regulator. I put the full tank in the curb side and she finished dinner with no problem.

Replaced the kinked hose with a new one from the dealer. Checked for leaks all around and then found that I had great pressure when stove was first lit but pressure dropped to about half in about 30 seconds. A plumber friend and I checked the whole system, no leaks, no blockage in the line.

He suggested a new main regulator.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ed

wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
You might want to check this other thread currently going. Seems to be some similarities here.......

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=33370
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
wanderer1

M.O.C. #7760
Thanks for the tip.

I'm a newbie here. Should I post my problem on that thread?

Don't know how to do that.

Thanks again,

Ed
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ed, do you have the same problem regardless of which side is being used?

If the problem is just when propane is coming from one side, maybe this will help. Your rig probably has the main regulator on one side. On the other side there is a small red regulator (was on ours, anyhow). Those little regulators are intended to keep you from locking the tank valve by opening the valve too quickly. When you do that, propane rushes out to go across to the regulator and the tank valve thinks you have a leak. So it locks the valve and there is no flow. If that happens, take the tank out, turn it upside down for a few minutes, then reinstall it.

That little red regulator has been problematic for many of us. After two replacements going bad and causing the problem you described, I tossed that red regulator in a drawer. I went to Ace Hardware and got an adapter. Neither Lowe's nor Home Depot had what I needed. The adapter has a different size on the female side than on the male side. I took the red regulator with me to match the sizes. I then put the adapter in place of the red regulator and no more problem. I do have to remember to open the tank on that side slowly to allow the pipes to fill at a slow rate, then open them all the way. But we have no more pressure problems.

If your problem differs, then never mind.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote