Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
OldRetiredMSGT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8879
Travel to Alaska

I have searched this Web Site for hours and have not found anything about ones travel to ALASKA. Surely there must be a topic someplace in this Form where members have vented steam or bragged about their adventure..
I want to plan a trip next summer and would like to hear from those that have made the trip. Pleasant Trips as well as Horrow stories. I don't want to blow a lot of money or try to impress anyone with my itinerary. We want to stay at Military Campgrounds as often as possible. (Cost and Security)

I am no whiz on posting to this Form so bear with me.

OldRetiredMSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
The first thing I would recommend is getting the latest issue of "Milepost". Can be obtained through Amazon and other book sellers. This has everything you need to know about routes, services and special places to see.
We did the trip up as far as the Yukon two years ago planning to crossing into Alaska from Dawson City, over the "Top of the World Highway". Got back from a trip on the Dempster highway and met a group that had just come in from Alaska on that route. It was slow, rough and most of them had parts falling off..
From Dawson Creek the Alaskan Highway was smooth rolling. A few construction sites and occasional frost heaves (when you see the centerline getting wavy, slow down, frost heave ahead)
We had an excellent trip, stayed in many different types of campgrounds and never had any security problems. Cost wise, things ain't cheap up there!! Fuel is expensive as are most of the basic necessities.
Fantastic country, people and scenery. Enjoy the trip!
gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This is where the "Search" tool is your friend. In the upper right corner are numerous clickable links, "Search" being one. After you click on it, a screen pops up where you can enter words you want to search on. I entered "Alaska" (w/o the quotes) and got 134 current topics where that word appears. If you check the "Archived Posts" (these are postings older than 180 days or so) check box before doing the search, you will get back another 1,131 topics. You may want to add additional search words to reduce the amount of topics returned.

There is a ton of historical information about MOC member's experiences in Alaska.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
There have been a few posts about Alaska planning and completion. Most replies will include what gypsies2 says. Acquire a "Milepost". This is a book that contains just about every business route, street lamp and stop sign while traveling on the throughways of Western Canada and all of Alaska. It is incredibly detailed and you'll appreciate that fact when you get there. It is edited and reissued every year so that the data is pretty accurate. A web search of "Alaska Milepost" and you will find the Amazon links showing a cost of about $30 but will be money well spent.

I have been on parts of the road three different times through British Columbia, Yukon Territory and the Eastern and Southeast parts and ports of Alaska. It's been incredibly different and beautiful each time.

Use the search function with "milepost" and you will find at smaller list of three lengthy forum topics under "Have MOC Will Travel" with lots of information. That's only a start - as mentioned there are hundreds of posts about Alaska including the archives. The Milepost will be mentioned a lot. If you have any other specific question to ask, please do.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
In Anchorage, a stay at Ft Richardson Fam Camp will be a good surprise. I didn't care much for the Elmendorf one, No sewers, but Ft Rich was great. The right price also.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
This should help: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=35993
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:29 AM   #7
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
There are several MOCers that have written blogs of their adventures in Alaska.

Our is http://birdingrvers.com/. Look at our postings for June to October of 2008.

I am sure others will be along to give you the URLs for their Alaska blogs.

1. Buy the Milepost
2. Buy the Alaska Tour Saver coupon book.
3. Don't belive the horror stories.
4. Slow down and the if the road is rough slow down some more..
5, Have a great time.
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:36 AM   #8
OldRetiredMSGT
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8879
Thanks everyone.....I just knew you'll would come through. Sure hope they have another session on the subject at the Fall Rally. Still trying to warm up my wifes feet!!!
See ya
OldRetiredMSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:56 AM   #9
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OldRetiredMSGT

Sure hope they have another session on the subject at the Fall Rally. Still trying to warm up my wifes feet!!!
See ya
As someone who has been to Alaska 4 times and can't wait to get back. I am curious as to why your wife is reluctant to go to Alaska. The trip up is miles of breath taking scenery and Alaska itself is paradise.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #10
packwood2
Established Member

M.O.C. #10343
Send a message via MSN to packwood2
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by OldRetiredMSGT

I have searched this Web Site for hours and have not found anything about ones travel to ALASKA. Surely there must be a topic someplace in this Form where members have vented steam or bragged about their adventure..
I want to plan a trip next summer and would like to hear from those that have made the trip. Pleasant Trips as well as Horrow stories. I don't want to blow a lot of money or try to impress anyone with my itinerary. We want to stay at Military Campgrounds as often as possible. (Cost and Security)

I am no whiz on posting to this Form so bear with me.
packwood2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:13 AM   #11
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Frank, tell your wife that this is a piece of cake. DW and I traveled to Alaska in '06. We gave the DW's mother the option of a trip. As a lark I added Alaska and that is the one she picked. She had a great time and is still talking about it. By the way did I mention the MIL was 78 at the time and had back problems. Just take your time and enjoy the scenery and wildlife.

We took the AlCan HWY from Dawson Creek to North Pole. You have gotten good advise so far. Any specific questions feel free to PM me.

Have a great trip.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote