Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 AM   #21
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
My question to some of you is, how do you chain the cord to anything? I have a portable 50 amp Surge Guard, and I bought the locking hasp that locks it to the cord, but where and how do you secure the actual cord with a chain? Wrap the chain around it? Even with a lock that would be easy to unwrap.

washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:05 AM   #22
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Nope, not yet.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 AM   #23
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

My question to some of you is, how do you chain the cord to anything? I have a portable 50 amp Surge Guard, and I bought the locking hasp that locks it to the cord, but where and how do you secure the actual cord with a chain? Wrap the chain around it? Even with a lock that would be easy to unwrap.
I have the portable surge guard also. I chain the surge guard to the power stalk, then lock the cord to the SG with the lock you noted above. The chain goes all the way around the stalk and locks to itself...if tight, the cord cannot be unplugged or pulled out.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #24
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Tom, thanks for your answer! I just couldn't visualize how to chain this thing up. Seems most folks don't have a problem with theft, and in all my years in camp grounds I have never been a victim (other than by raccoons!), but when the SG is over $300 and a new cord $200 or more, I wonder if I am tempting fate?
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #25
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
You can use a long piece of good chain and place it tightly around the power pedestal and lock it with one of the combination type padlocks. Place a 2nd lock tightly around one end of the surge guards and a 3rd around the end of the power cord. Set them all for the same combo! I agree that fellow campers are very unlikely to steal these items, it's petty thieves who cruise through some CGs looking for copper wire to steal. Most of them probably want the quick and easy hit, what we are doing is more to slow them down rather than a true prevention. If they are determined enough they will get it, especially if you happen to be away from the rig. It really comes down to location, this is unlikely an issue at the nicer CGs but we all have stayed at a CG the first and last time where we didn't feel as secure, best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote