Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
Mean Gene
Established Member

M.O.C. #9458
Big Sky purchase question

Hey there all. I am new here, registered awhile back when we first started thinking about a newer RV and then that kind of went by the wayside. I retired from the state fire department last Feb and now we are back in the hunt for a fifth wheel, and the Montana products have always been of interest to us.

We aren't looking to buy something brand new. We currently have a 1992 32' Cardinal with one slide that we have had for a long time. It has a lot of issues, due to it's age, and now we'd like to upgrade a bit. After looking for several months, the floorplan we like the best is the 3295RK, so, I've been concentrating on that model as of late.

This week I was looking online and found a 2004 Big Sky 3295RK about 4 hours from us. It's in excellent condition, not sure of all the options installed, but the general description seemed to indicate it was well equiped. Only one AC unit as far as I know. Talked to the salesman: starting price was $30,000 and he's down to $26,000. Does that sound like a decent deal on face value? We're going to drive north to look at it on Thursday.

It would appear that the Big Sky is the top of the Montana line: correct or not? What's the difference between a regular Montana and a Big Sky? I'm unsure on much as I have not bought an RV for 12 years. I would greatly appreciate some help on this.

Thanks,
Gene

Mean Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Big Sky is indeed the top of the line at Montana. We have a 2009,a bit oveer one year old. The list price with all the goodies was over $90K, and we go it for about $65K. So, right off the bat, $26 sounds good. However, I do not know what the 3295RK went for in 04, nor do I know what depreciation would be. Also don't know how that model stacks up to our 365REQ. I think that is the rear kitchen model, but I don't know length, etc. Finish is a bit different between Big Sky and Montana. Generally Big Sky comes with the double door fridge, and the carpets, cabinets, counter tops, etc, are a higher quality. Perhaps someone out there knows where to look for comparable values.
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
That seems to be a good price compared to other similar 3295RKs for sale, assuming it is in good condition. Lots to look at and check on a used model 6 years old. Would be a good idea to have a written agreement to have anything you find wrong fixed within a certain time frame of the purchase.

Apparently the 3295RK became a regular Montana model (rather than a Big Sky) at some point as a friend has an '08 Montana 3295RK. But now that floor plan has been dropped altogether it appears.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
The 3295 RK was dropped because it had only one recliner. That is what I was told at the factory tour.

I recommend you use one of the new PDI (pre delivery inspection) list and also have the brakes, axles, shackels and spring hangers checked real close.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Mean Gene
Established Member

M.O.C. #9458
Quote:
quote:"I recommend you use one of the new PDI (pre delivery inspection) list and also have the brakes, axles, shackels and spring hangers checked real close."
Where do I get that? I've also been instructed to call Keystone with the VIN number and see if the frame flex fix has been applied to that unit.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:38 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You can go to this MONTANAOWNERS web page and then click on PDIs. This Web page has a wealth of information and should definitely come in handy if you purchase the 04 BigSky.

Here is the link to the PDI lists. There are three. I used the 12 page one. I got to it by clicking on the "Related RV Links" on the bottom of the home page.

We recommend a new buyer notify the dealer that you are using this PDI and send them a copy. It is also recommended to take many hours and live (pretend) in it for that time of the PDI. You might consider letting the seller know and ensure they have no problem with you being there for 8 hours or so. Also you want it hooked up to power so you can check AC and heater and water so you can check for leaks.

Hope this helps.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

The 3295 RK was dropped because it had only one recliner. That is what I was told at the factory tour.
That is the only thing I do not like about our friend's 3295RK. When we visit with them, one of us has to sit in one of the dining chairs. Not very comfortable if you are there very long. Otherwise, a nice floor plan.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:50 AM   #8
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Used retail is $25,890. Used Trade-in is $20,040, so you have about $5000 to play with in your bargining.

I have a 2006 3295RK and have not experienced any serious problems with it.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:04 AM   #9
Mean Gene
Established Member

M.O.C. #9458
Thanks to all...some great information.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:28 AM   #10
Mean Gene
Established Member

M.O.C. #9458
I just got the VIN from the dealer, called Keystone and asked about frame problems, or problems with the unit in general. The guy I talked to looked it up and said it was a clean unit and there was no record of any problems or repairs.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well that would be a good 5er to look at. Very seldom you will find a 5th wheel that hasn't had some type of issues. Get a good PDI. Price doesn't sound to our of line according to the book. Good Luck the Big Sky is a great 5er for the price. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
According to Nadaguides a 3295RK suggested retail ranges from $22,000-$26,000, so the dealer is at the high end of his bargaining. I didn't check the Nada used/trade-in price but Larry's suggestion is probably as low as you can go. Maybe you can have the dealer add the second A/C as part of your deal.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Gene.. You must be asking this same question on that other forum.. I replied over there but this is the right place to ask questions about the montana. I mentioned that this model year MAY have the frame flex issue and you need to find out about that.. Folks here who had that issue can help you on that...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:43 AM   #14
Mean Gene
Established Member

M.O.C. #9458
Affirmative on both forums Rich. I couldn't get this one to come up yesterday when I wanted to ask the question...had to wait until today. I make sure the frame is OK. I appreciate the help.