Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
martybea

M.O.C. #7040
Send a message via AIM to martybea Send a message via MSN to martybea Send a message via Yahoo to martybea
Slides, Montana 298RL

I have a 2007 Montana, fifth wheel and I did not have the problems that I am presently experiencing with my slides. It initially began when sliding in, now it's happening when sliding in & out. The sliden commences as req'd, however, the motor shuts down and we have to wait until it's ready to slide in or out,just a few feet. I realize that it is a "path of lease resistance system" however it is frustrating. My dealer's service manager advised me to ensure that the 'valves' were turned all the way out, which I did, Same problem. Possibly a battery problem, shouldn't be, as they are relatively new and removed from th unit when winterized. Any suggestions or similar problems?

Marty

martybea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I'll be interested in what responses you get as we have started experiencing similiar problems. When slides are coming in sometimes they the pump will stop and after waiting a few seconds they will continue to come in. I have not had the problem when extending the slides nor does it always happening when bringing the slides in. I understand it is an overheating problem of the fuse and when it cools everything operates normally.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Mine have been doing this for some time ('06 3500RL). All was okay for about a year, then it started. The bedroom slide never has a problem (it's probably too small and too light). All the other 3 slides have had the same problem. Here's what I've done in the past:

1. Taken it to the dealer and complained. They changed out the autoresetting circuit breaker for "some larger ones". The problem went away for a couple of tries, then returned.

2. Checked the fluid level (how come the dealer never noticed?) and with the slides closed in the fluid should be 1/2" from the top of the reservoir. The fluid was down quite a bit so I filled it to the right level and permanently marked the reservoir so it's easier to check. The slides worked fine for a few more tries, now it's happened again and the fluid is just fine.

3. Lubricate the gears with sliding room dry lube - no affect. Every 6 months I clean and relube, and this has never made a difference.

I've learned to live with it. I keep the switch down or up to open and close the slides until it is finished. The movement does stall for 1-3 seconds before proceeding. The amount of movement varies but the stall time between moves is pretty consistent. The slides eventually get to their correct positions.

One thing I haven't done is sprayed the rubber attached to the RV around the slide room with the "preservative/lubricant" or whatever it's called to see if that friction affects it, but it doesn't seem this should be that bad.

I hope someone has a better answer because this is certainly irritating.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Common problem. The Lippert fix was to wire two 50 amp auto reset automotive type breakers in parallel. I went with two forties, and solved the problem.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I think it sounds like the breaker (auto reset) near the hydraulic pump. I think it is 30 or 40 amp. My dealer said they can go bad every year. So I just carry a spare - they aren't too expensive. I had the exact same problem - slide would move about a foot then pause for 10 seconds, then repeat.
If a new breaker is installed and it still happens, then you may have another problem like a mis-aligned slide or something.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #6
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Same problem here. We just live with it.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Here you go. http://www.lci1.com/LIP/0058.pdf That shows a single 80 amp breaker. Not sure those are readily available. You can accomplish the same thing by putting two in parallel. I think I have the original 50, with a 30 mounted beside it.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #8
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Some things to ponder:
I am no electrician but by adding two circuit breakers in parallel you are doing the same as adding a higher rated circuit breaker?
The lower the voltage the higher the amperage. So if the batteries can't hold there voltage the amperage usage will go up tripping the circuit breaker.
Bad connections will cause a voltage drop and increase the amperage. You have to take into consideration both the positive side and the negative side of the complete system. Most electrical problems are connection problems.
If you have a hydraulic valve that does not completely open that will increase the system pressure causing the motor to work harder consuming more amps.
Undersized wire will cause more resistance and amp draw.
Low fluid level in the reservoir would stop the motion until it received more oil to push the cylinders out farther.
Happily my slides work fine so far! (knocking on wood!)
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #9
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mopar1

Some things to ponder:
I am no electrician but by adding two circuit breakers in parallel you are doing the same as adding a higher rated circuit breaker?
The lower the voltage the higher the amperage. So if the batteries can't hold there voltage the amperage usage will go up tripping the circuit breaker.
Bad connections will cause a voltage drop and increase the amperage. You have to take into consideration both the positive side and the negative side of the complete system. Most electrical problems are connection problems.
If you have a hydraulic valve that does not completely open that will increase the system pressure causing the motor to work harder consuming more amps.
Undersized wire will cause more resistance and amp draw.
Low fluid level in the reservoir would stop the motion until it received more oil to push the cylinders out farther.
Happily my slides work fine so far! (knocking on wood!)
IIRC, a loose connection creates more resistance, thus lowering current draw. BTW, the pump is rated at 100 amps. My pump has 6 gauge wire, plenty adequate to handle 100 amps at 12 volts dc.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Same problem with ours last fall and this spring. Dealer put in a larger fuse and problem solved. i have gone the whole summer with no more stopping issues. I cant remember how big a fuse but I will try to find my service order to see what it was.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote