Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
mitch

M.O.C. #9594
tire's and stems

my first question is what are some of the trouble with tire's and stems on my 06 they have verry few miles on them but i already have had problem's on older camper's with tire's that look good ,any advice on when to replace them.

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The recommendation for tires is that they last about 5 years then will start to age regardless of the mileage. Most vehicle tires wear out from use before the 5 years.

Aging out is a common problem with trailers because they sit for so long even though the tread looks good. In your case it seems your vehicle sits for long periods and the tires are not used very much (low mileage) and this can occur. Stems can fail for all kinds of reasons, many times because the right stem is not used (low pressure stem for a high pressure wheel, for example). Many members here opt for the metal stems which are much stronger than even the rubber high pressure stems.

To check for the age of your tires, look for the DOT code. The last 4 digits are the date code (2 numbers for the week and 2 numbers for the year). The DOT code MUST have 8 or more digits. If you see a DOT number with only 4 digits, then look at the other side of the tire for the longer more accurate code. A DOT code with only 4 digits is an ABBREVIATION of the correct DOT code.

Here's a sample link on how to read the DOT code:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
If they are Mission tires, you may want to replace them at you earliest convenience. We also have gone to all metal valve stems.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree with Dave. I have always changed out my RV tires around 4 or 5 years even if the tread is good.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:32 AM   #5
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
We have put 8,500 miles on our 2006 Mountaineer, purchased at the end of 2006. Most of our trips have been under 400 miles until this year we pulled 2,300 on three week trip. We were less then 300 miles from home and I started getting concerned with a couple of the tires which seemed to have bubbles. Spent the weekend in a campground waiting for Monday so we could get tires. While in the campground a third tire problem, it was only touching the ground in the center of the tread. Replaced all four to get home. Since I checked tires with a temperature gauge and visual inspection almost every time I stop for fuel or the night how come three at the same time and one while camped?
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 AM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cyrus

Since I checked tires with a temperature gauge and visual inspection almost every time I stop for fuel or the night how come three at the same time and one while camped?
I think they talk to each other - probably in Chinese - and when the time is right (they are on their own secret time schedule), the "leader" - and who knows which one that is since they all Missions look alike - says, "NOW!" And they all fail...

Just my theory...

Don't you just love conspiracy plots??? I guess I need to stop watching those movies...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535

dsprik,
Sounds like you have hit the nail on the head.

I have read about all the tire problems you guys have had and felt lucky since my only problem was with valve stems. Tire shop that changed them said they were the wrong stems and could not handle 80lbs.

I guess I was lucky in catching the tire/tires problem before they blew and did damage the camper. Nice that three decided to fail at the same time rather then one a day or one a trip.

Look at the bright side!

When I got the Goodyear Marathon tires I figured they were made in USA but no, made in China.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Cyrus, just a reminder that the recommended time to check the tire pressure is when the tires are cold. When you check your tires during a trip, all you can check is that they better higher than the recommended pressure because they will gain some heat and expansion. The ambient temperature might have an affect as well.

A tire expert in the MOC might come along and better describe the affect of measuring tires when they are cold and how to adjust the pressure based on the current temperature. And what to watch for when measuring the tires when they are hot.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote