Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
360 Sanitation Vent

Years ago, when still a kid and traveling with my parents, we always had a terrible smell in the trailer when we stopped for the evening. If the trailer was parked for more than a day, the smell disappeared. I think the problem was holding tank odors that were pushed down into the rig by the wind as we traveled.

To avoid that situation when we hit the road, I've been looking at various vent caps that supposedly work to pull those odors up and out of the vent pipe as you travel. So far, the one that gets the best reviews from users is the "RV 360 Sanitation Vent" that sells for anywhere from $23.99 to $39.00 and up.

Have any of you had experience with the 360 Vent, or are you using another one that you like? The ease of installation is important for me, too. I value your opinions--you are the experts!
Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I have used this product for two seasons I can say I am very pleased with the cheap improvement.
It won't eliminate the need to take care of the black tank, but it really helps a lot. Well worth the money.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

Don't take your 5er to Bish's RV for the install. You might not get it back in time for the Spring Rally!

Sorry! Just couldn't resist that one.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Ha ha--NOT funny, KTManiac! Actually, we will do the install ourselves. The ad for the product and the "actual consumer reviews" say it's easy to add, but that could be relative to the RV owner's experience and willingness to clamber around on the roof of the rig.

We still have a trip back to Bish's to get a new window for one slideout and new rails or tracks for that heavy couch drawer that seems to spend more time hanging cockeyed that staying shut, even with nothing in it. You can imagine how NOT funny it was to be standing in our rig, going through the checklist a service tech, and find out that the window didn't get ordered and the drawer was still lopsided.

We WILL be at the rally in June. We might be missing a window and couch drawer, but we'll be there!

Carolyn

Old 04-17-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I do feel your pain about the incredible ordeal you have been through in the past, and you have exhibited more restraint and tolerance than a Saint. I admire your attitude, I would have gone ballistic in similar circumstances. I apologize to you if my attempt at a little humor has truly offended. Looking forward to meeting you guys at the rally, that is, if we make it. My wife has just been through a surgical nightmare, and I literally had a heart attack with a stent put in during the middle of it all on Easter Sunday. Yeah, we're quite a pair right now!
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:49 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ours is not the "RV 360 Sanitation Vent"but works on the same principle. I purchased it in Quartzite several years ago. It's one of those vent covers with wings that turns according to the wind direction and draws odors out of the black water tank. It must work because we don't notice any odors in the rig after traveling, or when sitting still either.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have one from C.W that must be similar to Orv's. Self installed and If I can do it it is a simple install. It also must work as we have never had a odor..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:01 AM   #8
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Hey, KTManiac--I thought your reply was funny! Don't think for a moment I was offended. I have a fairly wicked sense of humor; it's pretty hard to offend me, so don't you stop being funny.

I'm praying for good health for you guys because I want you to get to the rally. You have been through an ordeal. Bet you'd rather have had Easter eggs than a heart attack. What terrible irony--a heart attack on Easter. Sounds like you're on the mend, as is your wife, I hope.

SEE YOU at the rally (the power of positive thinking). We WILL see you at the rally. Bring jokes (I even tolerate puns).

Stay well,
Carolyn
Old 04-18-2009, 07:29 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We had one for a while, but it broke, probably an overhanging tree branch got it. I have not replaced it because we just have had any odour problems. Only thing I do is empty the tank when it gets full, no chemicals. My totally unproven theory is that the odour problem we did have was caused by air getting sucked in from outside. I would get one again if we had a problem, but for now I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Installation is fairly easy once you figure out which vent is which. Keep the old vent cover though, in case you need it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Give this one a close look. We have three of them.
http://www.coilnwrap.com/more/Xtreme-Vents.htm
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
DnDatGrdJct
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7686
We also have the one that bigmurf refers to. Works great and very easy to install.

Would recommend that you make sure there is room for it to turn before ordering. We have one vent that is too close to something else on the roof to allow complete rotation.
DnDatGrdJct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 10:46 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The one bigmurf refers to is like the one we have.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
We have three of the Xtreme Vents like Bigmurf
BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
I just installed the Cyclone by CAMCO for 19.00 this past week. It worked great and all the odors are gone. The only thing is is was a bit windy this week so it may have been an unfair test of it. I looked at the Extreme vent and I am going to switch the Cyclone to one of the grey tanks and put an Extreme on the black vent. The Extreme is much better built and seems to like it would require less air flow to make it work. When I made my purchase this week I had not heard about the Extreme vents so I was leary to spend 49.95 for something I knew nothing about. So I thought I would try the cheaper one.