Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #1
Kidster

M.O.C. #20123
Kidster

Hello everyone.First time in the site but from what I have seen so far looks like a great site.
I have already learned stuff about my camper I didn't know and hope to learn a lot more.
Not sure if this is the place to ask questions.
I have a 2005 Montana 3500RL with 4 slides.
I have been doing some reading on the site about a/c units and one of my questions are about making my new a/c unit work better.
I read on one site about making sure the air box seal is ok.Not sure what they mean by that and hope someone can enlighten me.
Also a question about adding a second a/c unit in the bedroom.There is a small box in the sealing right beside the roof vent that says something about a/c unit but not the plug I need to plug in a new unit.
The thermostat in the camper shows an option for 2 units.
Any help would be appreciated and thanks for any help.
Ken

Kidster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:49 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! Without a picture this is just a guess, but units that were made to have a second AC usually have a sensor on the bedroom ceiling that tells the thermostat what to do. If there is a vent in the bedroom it may also have the wiring up in there for the AC unit, so you just take the vent out and put the AC in.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:05 PM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Welcome to the forum! Without a picture this is just a guess, but units that were made to have a second AC usually have a sensor on the bedroom ceiling that tells the thermostat what to do. If there is a vent in the bedroom it may also have the wiring up in there for the AC unit, so you just take the vent out and put the AC in.

The sensor looks like a strange kind of bump thing that you may mistake for a miniature smoke detector. Also, there's no 'plug' for a second AC. You have to get both an AC unit and a grill. Depending on the brand, one or the other will have a junction box that you can connect the wiring that will be somewhere near the vent when you remove it, IF your unit was wired for two ACs.

There's also several other things to do to increase the efficiency of your existing (new?) AC. The round ceiling vents stick up into the ducts too far and can be cut down to increase airflow. You can also get a very inexpensive roll of mylar bubble insulation from a big box hardware store and cut pieces to fit your windows. Put them between the shades and glass whenever the sun starts giving you heat gain. And be certain to use the exhaust fan whenever your using the range!
Old 07-06-2017, 02:47 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
They did not have those on a 2005 Montana.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #5
Kidster

M.O.C. #20123
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your input.I will do a little more inspection on whether or not it has the wiring for a second a/c unit.
I will let you know how I do.
Thanks again
Kidster is offline   Reply With Quote