Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2016, 06:24 AM   #1
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Odor Problem

I don't, under normal usage, have an odor problem. I usually use what ever chemical is on sale at the time. My problem comes when I am dumping/cleaning the black tank. To be clear...I DO NOT do anything with the toilet itself. The flush valve in the toilet stays closed. Everything I do is from the convenience center. I add water to the tank via the tank flush inlet then open the dump valve. I do this process a few times watching for clear water at the sewer hose. I also back flush the tank where the sewer hose attaches. Again, I never go inside and operate the toilet. During this cleaning process I get sewage odor throughout the rig. The only path that is open for odor is the roof vent, through the tank then out the sewer hose. Nothing internal to the rig. The roof vent is not plugged because I can smell the stinky stuff venting when I am on the roof. The vent is located near the front ac unit. Now I am not sure how the ac unit works but when running does it draw in outside air ? And if it does, why do I only have the odor when I am dumping/cleaning the tank ?
Thoughts ?

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you don't have any vents open on top, ie kitchen and bath, then your experience would lead me to believe that you have a split top seam on the tank, leaking blade valve that let's poo juice into the belly, inlet pipe issue, or you are getting odors into the attic and ducts via a slightly open ac seal that only let's in highly condensed odors like black tank honey. Happy hunting. John
Old 07-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My thoughts also. While I understand that some people do it, the black tank flush is intended to be operated with the drain valve open. I have seen and heard of some interesting and expensive things happen when the valve was closed and the operator becomes distracted. Oder would be low on the list of issues.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

If you don't have any vents open on top, ie kitchen and bath, then your experience would lead me to believe that you have a split top seam on the tank, leaking blade valve that let's poo juice into the belly, inlet pipe issue, or you are getting odors into the attic and ducts via a slightly open ac seal that only let's in highly condensed odors like black tank honey. Happy hunting. John
No vents are open. If the tank seam was split or a leaking blade valve, I would have odor all the time. This only happens when I drain and flush the tank. If I had a slightly open ac seal wouldn't I get the odor all the time since the tank vent is near the front ac unit ? Again, this only happens when I drain and flush the tank.
Still perplexed.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

My thoughts also. While I understand that some people do it, the black tank flush is intended to be operated with the drain valve open. I have seen and heard of some interesting and expensive things happen when the valve was closed and the operator becomes distracted. Oder would be low on the list of issues.
Although I do not move from the convenience center when I do the flushing and only run the tank flush 5 minutes at a time, I know what you are saying.

Old 07-29-2016, 02:32 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If your fiver has a HepvO waterless Ptrap on the shower ... you might make sure something isn't stuck in it or folded into itself. These don't rely on water to block sewer gas, but a lip seal sort of thing. I know you stated it only happens when you dump, but ... when you dump, you may have both tanks open at the same time allowing black tank fumes up the grey tank line on out the shower or simply getting sewer order up the waste hose from the dump station. This is just a WAG ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:28 AM   #7
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
With a good tank and good input/output, the odors can only go out the drain and out the top vent. That top vent, however, goes through a larger than needed hole on the roof...which is open to the attic...which is open to a wall or two in the rig...which is open to the belly...which is open to the vents under the steps to the bedroom...which is open to the area where the levelers are. The vent to roof seal should be good and not allow odors into the envelope...but keep it in mind. I would first seal off stair vents and furnace floor vents, then repeat your flushing regiment. There are usually some rather large holes in the wall where your sink drain piping runs to get to the sink vent pipe...another area that odor can enter...if you still smell it when you cover the previously mentioned areas. Do you also have the strong odor in the basement...I would assume it to be so, since it shares so much with other areas. And if you had ac running whn you did the flush, what happens when you have them off and flush? As for that shower drain, I got rid of mine as it let grey tank odor into the rig way too much and if you had that tank open during or after dumping black tank, you still have a lot of common pipe for these two tanks to drain out that could transfer odors. Hope this helps you think and find out what is going on with your rig. John
Old 07-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #8
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
This discussion just made me think about my regiment. I normally keep both grey water tank valves open until two days before I break camp. I then close them and let them fill because I use that water to flush the pipes and sewer hose. I believe they were open during my black tank flush. I'll close those valves before my next flush. If that was the problem, then I'll look at the galley and bathroom traps. If that wasn't the problem I'll try shutting off the front ac before flushing.

I don't get the smell in the basement but the basement is cool from the ac. Need to look into blocking all those vents mentioned. AC works great but blocking those vents can make it better.

Thanks for the ideas. I was stymied.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I for one DO NOT leave my gray water valves open while sitting at a site. I go ahead and keep them closed and use plenty of water in the black tank when flushing the toilet. This keeps the "dreaded pyramid" from forming and that really can be a problem if it happens. I used to wait till the stool/toilet burped but do not do that anymore because I feel the black tanks are not made sturdy enough to handle all of that pressure or weight. I normally dump the black tank every 3-4 days and run the black tank flush as you do but close the valve for about 10-12 minutes to get some of the heavy stuff off of the bottom of the tank. The dump valve IS NOT on the bottom of the tank and is about 1 1/2 to 2" off the bottom so there is still solids in the tank when you flush. I then flush the slinky with the galley tank and then dump the shower gray tank water to do a good flush of the slinky. I then close all valves and add Happy Camper to each of the tanks with some water from the faucets or stool to dissolve the powder. This makes the tanks clean and helps dissolve any solids that may go down into them.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #10
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I have also had bad odor in the trailer after traveling from one campground to the next. Almost always dump before leaving campsite and put some water in black tank with deodorizer added. After arriving at next destination we sometimes have sewer smell inside trailer. Don't know why.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:24 AM   #11
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Bigred, try putting a drain stopper or taping over shower drain to see if it makes any difference. John