Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2007, 03:53 PM   #1
bulldog402
Established Member

M.O.C. #6927
Refridgerator Running

I have been researching everywhere for an answer so your opinions will be helpfull. Is it okay to leave your refridgerator running on gas while traveling or is it a dangerous practice. The dealer says okay a friend says no. I would like to know as I am taking my first long trip in July.

bulldog402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
It is OK to run the fridge on propane while traveling. There are only two modes for running the fridge-AC or propane- so to keep food while traveling one must use propane.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Mike
This has been discussed and discussed here. You will get two different opinions. Yes and No. We have always traveled with our frig on gas. Never had a problem. This is our 3rd fiver and we have been doing this for many years. One important note, we rarely refuel while hooked up so that can make a difference although there are those that argue even that is safe. In the US there are a few tunnels that you cannot go through with your propane on but there are big signs to warn you. So turn it off, go through the tunnel and turn it back on. You will get more opinions but that is mine.
Happy trails........................and welcome to the MOC
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I believe it's illegal in a lot of states although quite a few do it. If the refer is already cooled down and kept closed it will hold the temperature very well for the day. I've traveled with it on in the past, but with the propane valves open and the chance of severing a line in an accident creating another possible source of fire, or worse, I've recently decided it may not be wise.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 PM   #5
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I used to leave mine turned on gas but we have started stopping for fuel and other places along the way. I get it real cold and put frozen gel packs in the fridge right before we leave. I don't wat to take any chances after the recall even if my unit isn't one of those affected.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is one of those things like, do you have a bedsaver yes or no, Do you have a V tail gate, yes or no, no you do a pull test, yes or no, do you chock, yes or no.We run with it on. That is not to say that it is the safest thing to do.When refueling gas fumes are very heavy and fall to the ground.Our fridge is a long way behind the fueling and on the other side of the camper.I have never first hand seen a fire caused by fueling a camper..I am sure it has happened.It is true that the fridge will hold a low temp for a long time as when our fridge would not work on gas due to a defective ckt board. We would travel 5 or 6 hours and the temp would only be down to 45. We have also seen a propane tank detonate..it is not a pretty picture..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Your propane system is designed to be on during travel. The supply tanks are equipped with high flow shut off valves that activate in the event the gas lines become damaged in an accident, or if the tank is ejected from the vehicle. In addition, each tank is equipped with a Type I Excess Flow Pigtail that automatically shutdowns flow to 10 SCFH or less in the event of regulator rupture or separation of the hose lines on the high pressure side.

You are required to turn off the refrigerator and any other open flame appliances when refueling the vehicle. Once you have secured a safe distance from the fuel vapors, the appliances can be restarted.

Do what you are comfortable with, but shutting down the LP system while traveling is over-cautious. The practice of shutting it down has roots back to the 70s before RV LP systems were equipped with the additional safety devices.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've traveled for a number of years with pull trailers and fifth wheels. It has been and will continue to be that we turn the propane off when traveling. We usually only run for five to six hours and the refrigerator stays cold, only rising about three degrees while traveling.

We had the opportunity to witness a travel trailer that was being towed while the propane was turned on with the refrigerator running. There was a collision and the trailer broke loose from the tow vehicle and then broke into flames when the propane lines broke. There was enough gas in the lines (in spite of the automatic valves shutting off the propane) that was ignited and burned up the rig. So, you do what you want to do and you take the risk. As for me, I've been a witness to damage and I won't take the risk.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Ok number one I’m not trying to get anyone mad…yes we should turn off the propane when refueling, and yes everyone has their own opinions about weather to travel with the propane on, or off and yes we all do things differently. The idea is not have a spark source when we are refueling great. Now how many people have we seen fueling their vehicle and chatting on their cell phones? How many times have you seen people getting in, and out of their vehicle while fueling? If we are to believe what we see on the news about vehicle fires at gas stations because these people build up static electricity getting in and out of the vehicle and then touching something and setting off the static electricity, thus starting a fire weather by cell phones or static electricity?
Ok the big question is how many people do you know that when they shut off their propane actually bleed off the extra propane that is in the line? Yes there would still be enough propane still in the lines unless we have a propane line leak that could in a collision break into flames in spite of the automatic valves shutting off the propane.
I for one have forgot and left the hot water tank running because someone interrupted me when I was breaking camp, and found it later before anything happened, so what I’m trying to say it happens to all of us and all we can do is hope someone is looking over us as we go through life and protect us from our self.

Ok I'm Off the soap box, so lets enjoy the camping season.

The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 02:51 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We always get into these kind of discussions and other than being very informative(Brads information) folks pay no attention. Do we obey the speed limit, do we chock before un hitching, do we have extended warranties,do we use a bed saver or a V tail gate.Do we pull in high winds, do we drive 400 miles a day.We all do things that may not be the safest thing to do and much of what we do may be based on old and out dated information.In the final analysis if we have accurate and up to date information and we choose to say "run with the fridge running) and we understand the risks, same as driving over the speed limit, or not having extended warranty, etc, well then... there will be no surprises or finger pointing if we have to face the consequences of our choice. Such is life...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 03:15 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Amen Richfaa, if only we would constrain ourselves to providing information and personal opinions to enable others to make their own decisions, then we could all reach a happy medium. We should be satisfied with the knowledge that we are relating our experiences to others, not preaching about shoulda, woulda, coulda. Along these lines then: I have always travelled with the propane on and the refrigerator running, and will continue to do so. Our unit is in storage and it takes 4-5 hours to reach a cold enough temperature to store meat, therefore I always prefer to have the refrigerator fully cooled when we reach our destination.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #12
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Oldguard, you forgot to ask how many us have singed our eyebrows lighting the grill or campfire! I bet we can think of a bunch of stooopid things that juust don't seem quite so stupid 'til you look back on them and wonder what ever possessed you do that !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:56 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My posting in this thread was only to provide my experience, not to tell others what to do.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 09:47 AM   #14
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Good and interesting information, Brad.

These things are designed and intended to be operated on propane while travelling. That's what we do...and have been doing since we got our first RV in 1972.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote