Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2010, 06:43 PM   #21
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
Correcting the problem of the location of the switch, was the first major change
I did to our Monty when we got it in June of last year. Turn the power off to the water
heater. Remove the outside door to the water heater compartment. Then carefully pry
out the little black rocker switch with the pin in it. I removed the switch and threw it away.
I then connected in 30 feet of the same size wire and used crimp on connecters and applied
heat shrink. Then fed all of the wire back into the little hole in the metal face of the water
heater. Next remove the trim panel around all the water valves in the convenience centre. I carefully measured and with a long small drill, I led the double pair of wire up from the basement, in under the entertainment centre and then into the hollow wall on the left side
of the steps going up into the bedroom. Mark a location for the the installation of a regular
house hold 110 volt switch. ENSURE that the location will not conflict with the closing of
the sliding pocket door. It is now very easy for the dear wife or myself to turn the heater
on or off during the day, and most importantly when packing up and going on the road, and also to ensure it is off when draining the heater, or before pressurizing the system
when first hooking up. It seems a shame that Keystone builds a really lovely fifth wheel, and then installs a tacky little switch on the outside of the unit.

klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:14 AM   #22
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Our water heater is conveniently located under the kitchen sink and it was easy to access the wires coming from the breaker. I disconnected those from the heater and ran them to a switch with a light and then back down to the heater.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #23
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Gang,
Just a small suggestion. If your water heater electrical switch has a pin in it, take a small length of cord and tie the pin to one of the screws inside the water heater outside cover. This way the pin will always be in a place easy to find. It will either be in the switch to use propane only, or out to use electrical. BTW, our unit is 2009 and has both inside, lighted one on control panel right by the propane heater switch, along with the switch inside the heater outside cover. Isn't this forum great. Look at all the help you received. :-)
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #24
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
It is real easy to burn up your heater element if you park your rig next to your house and run an extension cord to your trailer for whatever reason. I did it one time and hope I remember to turn off the electric heater switch from now on. For a long time I only heated water using gas.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #25
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
Still in storage but, I believe we have both gas and electric inside also.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #26
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I have a 2980RK with the hot water heater right below the kitchen counter top. I just found the hot wire feeding the outside switch and spliced a 20 amp lighted switch into the circuit and installed it in the wall as shown. I just leave the outside switch on all the time as the wall switch controls the heater element. The lighted switch helps remind one to turn it off as needed. I would recommend a 20 amp switch as these elements pull a boat load of electricity.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #27
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Would someone be able let me know where the t-stat maybe located. I have a 3400rl 2008. I have checked my heating element and it is good but the breaker keeps kicking out every 24hrs or so. Leeds me to believe that it is the t-stat
Thanks
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #28
gar&lin
Established Member

M.O.C. #12171
I was looking through my RV information package for the 2008. There is a pamphlet for the heater in the package, it includes an electrical drawing of the heater. I did note the stat on the drawing.
gar&lin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #29
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If the water heater is kicking the breaker, I would strongly suggest checking the wiring connections at the heater itself. Ours was doing that and it turns out a loose connection had melted a wire nut which in turn was shorting out the hot wire. When a breaker is kicking, chances are it is wiring related.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote