Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I guess I just expected more

A neighbor has a 3160 that has had an annoying rattling noise in the ceiling around the rear A/C. His dealer was no help in solving the riddle other than installing a piece of foam inside the supply duct???? I told him I'd check it out. I popped the bonnet off the A/C and removed four 5/16" lag bolts and tilted the A/C up and peered inside the ducts ... wires just laying around dancing to whatever song they heard. I fixed that and went on to affixing the A/C back on to the roof. I then realized all that was holding the A/C to the roof was the 4 lag screws ... no wood backing... just the plywood roof sheeting ... no sealant around the lag screws other than a rubber washer under the head of each lag screw inside the A/C frame. At least the old style A/C's were clamped to the roof with long bolts between the inside ceiling, thru the roof, and into riv-nuts in the A/C frame. Silly me ... I just expected more.

PS : This is the whisper quiet systems now in production.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:14 AM   #2
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
That is the way the air conditioners have been installed for several years! It is amazing that there does not seem to be any leak issues. At least, not that I'm aware of.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:44 AM   #3
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
What year is that monty? because I might check that but I have never had the bonnet off, can you tell me what to look for?

Thanks
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:40 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Eagleback ... it was a 2015. When you remove the screws holding the bonnet on, you'll find 4 lag screw heads in the pan of the A/C housing. They screw directly into the roof sheating. They should be chinched down enough to compress the rubber snubbers under the pan, but not to where the pan is touching the roof. The wiring is in front of the evaporator and down inside the return duct. You can't see it unless you remove the sheet metal lid on the evaporator or take the A/C off the roof and tilt it to one side.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds like "Whisper quiet" is only available if you're lucky enough to live next to Diesel Guy. You're obviously a great friend and a good guy to have around!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:40 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I think most of us expect more but seem to get less. You are a great neighbour to have and now a certified Mobile Tech.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:35 PM   #7
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

Eagleback ... it was a 2015. When you remove the screws holding the bonnet on, you'll find 4 lag screw heads in the pan of the A/C housing. .......
Now, that's not the entire, whole truth, and you know it!

.....you will also find a nest of angry hornets, yellow-jackets, or wasps, too.

Before I ever take that damned thing off, I always beat on it with a very long pole to see if I stir up something first. You don't ever want to be up on the roof standing around with a screwdriver in your hand as your only weapon, nowhere to run when several dozen torqued-off A/C cover denizens are after you with a vengeance! ...ask me how I know this.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote