Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
50A 34560 Surge Guard

Camping World had these for $239.00 with free shipping. To good to pass up. I did an MOC search for installation, but came up blank. How difficult will the install into a 3750FL be? I swear there was a posting with photos in the past, but could not find it.

Thanks in advance.

boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Bingo had pictures of his. The hardest part was getting to the breaker box. I didn't take pictures of mine, but I never cut the factory cable. If you do that, all you have to do is find a suitable mounting spot, cut and strip the cable. Directions were clear and I thought easy
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #3
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
I have a 2012 3750FL. It took me about 2-3 days to install my surge guard and remote panel.I took my time to decide where and how I wanted to install it. I wanted easy access to it just in case it failed and I had to replace it or if I was on a trip and couldn't replace it I could remove it from the system till I could. I also didn't want it inside the RV. I decided the best place would be in the pass thru storage compartment because it was close to the power center and due to the weight of it I needed something strong to mount it to . I mounted it in the center of the compartment on the ceiling(the plywood flooring) in between the 2 aluminum floor supports. This way it was recessed and protected from being hit by anything I slide across the compartment and the plywood floor is stong enough to support the weight. I installed the remote panel right above the thermostat by the forward entry door. The install was a bit of a PITA. Here's the quick version of the install. I had to removed all 3 sections of the aft wall (the long center section and the 2 smaller one on each side) in the pass thru storage compartment for access. I removed the wires feeding the main 50A breaker and conected them to the input side of the surge protector. I ran new wire from the load side of the surge protector to the 50A breaker. To install the remote panel I cut a square piece out the paneling above the thermostat. I snaked the phone wire for the remote panel down the side and into the storage compartment to the surge protector. Sorry I don't have any pictures to post. When I get a chance I will take some and post them.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Just ordered a Progressive Industries 50Amp hard wired surge protector from Amazon. Should get it in a week or so. I removed the rear wall in the storage compartment under the trailer and it looks like the main cable runs from the back of the trailer along the belly and comes up under the interior stairs and then runs to the main panel. I'll cut the cable where it comes up under the stairs and insert the surge protector. There is a plywood floor for mounting and being close to the stairs I can mount the little monitor on the inside of the stair riser so I can see it from the inside of the trailer.
Sound simple and should take less than an hour. That being said simple projects like this usually take a day or 2 with lots of blue smoke.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 03:20 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
On our 3750FL, I mounted our Progressive Industries 50 behind the first basement panel on the left near the front door. We had a remote read-out and this allowed the read-out to be placed in the coat closet. If we have wifi at the rally in Tennessee (arrive Wed), I will post some pics of the install if it will help. I am limited to iPhone currently and pic posting is a pain. I will add that we also had the built-in transfer switch which comes with the on-board generator but the installation should be similar.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:07 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I mounted my Progressive Industries hard wired unit behind the removable panel on the right side of the storage compartment. I found I had plenty of extra cable from the back main plug to the distribution panel so rather than mounting near the panel and adding additional wire I cut the main wire.
I mounted a piece of plywood to the aluminum framing and mounted the unit on this. My model is more difficult to mount than the one you have purchased as everything has to fit in the box provided, a little more difficult with these heavy wires.

I did not want to make additional holes in the panel for mounting the remote monitor so I took the thermostat off and ran the wire up the same hole used by the thermostat. This allowed a mount with only the two small screw holes and is in a perfect spot to observe what is going on.

Total time for my install was about 3 hrs, make sure all your connections are "tight". Good luck with your install.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 03:21 AM   #7
boje
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8761
Thanks all....much appreciated.
boje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 04:03 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I went through the pain of installing a hard wired surge guard on the last 5er and want to postpone that agony for at least this year.

Wondering if anyone has any experience with the low end TRC portable unit. The CG where we are spending a bunch of time this year is in the Adirondacks and has supplier (National Grid) problems. Our trailer, being new needs some protection. The part is a Model 44270. I'm aware of its limitations, but am really concerned with just basic protection right now: http://trci.net/products/surge-guard...urge-protector

EDIT:
On second thought - I'm just going to do the 'pain'instead!!!!
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 06:23 AM   #9
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

If you have a generator ready unit with no generator you defiantly want to wire that unit near the breaker panel. That way if you decide in the future to install a front 50 amp power receptacle your line conditioner is still in the circuit when using the front power receptacle.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Finally got my PI EMS installed and just in time as we head to Az in 2 weeks. I took the door side rear panel in the basement off and cut the cable. The installation went well but if they could make the box 1" bigger it would sure help. The wires are so stiff they are hard to manipulate in the tight space. The unit is installed right below the stairs so I installed the remote display on the wood grate of the stair riser, running the cable between the wood slats on the grate in the riser. Worked well and display will be easy to see from the kitchen and l/r.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote