Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2006, 01:54 AM   #21
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I believe that interfereing with US Mail is a federal offense, I might be reminding them of that.

I would not be giving them any money to have worked me that way.

I hope you have good records, I might be talking to someone about what legal means are open to me, and I would normally avoid that tactic if at all possible.

What is the employment bureau at the State level in Ohio??? Maybe they could assist you in recovering lost wages??

Good luck you two.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Try this,,You checked with the local Post office..the mail was delivered where is it?..They need to file a report with the P.O saying it was not delivered.You are filing a FLSA claim. What does your employment contract with that campground say say about your wages... Go to www.koa.com ,,tell them you will see them in court..then get the H... out of there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:33 AM   #23
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Wow, what a story. It takes all kinds to make the world go around but it would go better without some. Good luck getting back on your feet.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Melly B and Kevin, I am so sorry to hear out badly this has worked out for you. As you know, we were hoping to stop by in July to finally meet you two. So please email me where you will be once you know. If we are out of the service center with at least a day to spare before we have to be in Fredericksburg, VA, we will most definitely try to stop by.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:16 AM   #25
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
We are near Smithville Oh. for now (and this may stretch out... Kevin's sis doesn't want us to EVER leave) On Smucker Rd between S-ville and Orrville. I will have to post a pic of the Monty on the old Chickenhouse slab. (It's the best patio site we ever had... just no sewer, or water yet.)
Carol, Kevin and I both have excellent records, we are both retired Law Enforcement. I am rather thinking that they disposed of our mail, KNOW that we know, and we will probably never hear from them again regarding the $$... they are hoping to get off with no one bringing thier practices up to KOA, EPA, FLSA folks, as well as the USPS.... As soon as I get done doing some Schlepping looking for work this AM, I am going to be on the computer...
PS..This park has won presidents awards 3 years in a row... so you know what KOA's concentration is on.... it's all about the Benjamins'
Steve, when you get close, email, and I will tell you how to get here..
For now.. 30 East to the Apple Creek rd exit, and then East on smucker.
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:09 AM   #26
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I meaant, good records of what they paid you and how many hours you worked, and that kind of thing. So you can persue a case AGAINST them!

(snicker) not criminal records! OH, dear!

I am sorry you took it that way! I can see how it happened tho!

As far as the President's Award, OUCH, I will never think of that again in the same way. SIGHH
Old 05-22-2006, 10:54 AM   #27
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
We made a photocopy of the last time card... it says nothing about pay rate... we NEVER recieved any check stubs, just an automatic deposit to our bank acct. (Garry insisted that the acct. was supposed to send them) I suggested that PERHAPS the stubs are in the packet of mail that is mysteriously GONE!
What can I say Carol, I got a cop mentality... when someone says record.... well...
Kevin has made several contacts for Electrician work (including for the city of Orrville) and I have applied at three places.. one a retail store (Aubreys attic) another the Lehman's Hardware Call service center at Dalton, and another the AAA travel center over in Wooster.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:03 AM   #28
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Did you check the record(S) of that slimey owner??? Like in criminal??

Geesh, what a mess, but the new job possibilities sound good!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:14 AM   #29
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I might could, but it would be sneaky for me (an ex cop) to do it, and I would need more than just his name... (I do know his birthday was last Sat, cause his sweet little mother was talking about getting him summer pj's...) I somehow doubt he has an actual criminal background, just a lifetime of assuming that he is waaaay more important than anyone else.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:48 AM   #30
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are even closer to us than you were before..let us know where you settle..there are several C.G's in that area that we camp at...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 05:00 AM   #31
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Sometimes these very bad situations turn out to be the best things that happen to us. Your plans may have been set back a bit, but I'll bet you come out of this experience in good shape. Good luck.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #32
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:[i]Bill F. How did you get hold of KOA corporate?
KOA corporate can be reached via email through

www.koa.com

At the upper edge of the page is the "Contact Us" section. Clicking on there and then (under the General Q&A section) on "Contact KOA,Inc".

It does work and they do respond. There seems to be some fear that gas prices are going to deter some people from travelling and using campgrounds this summer. My guess is that KOA is not interested in having people saying bad things about specific KOAs or about KOA in general.

B
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:16 PM   #33
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I have not been contacted all week by KOA
Old 05-29-2006, 02:50 PM   #34
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
I would report my lost mail to the Post Office and let a Postal Inspector pay a visit to that KOA. Until the mail is in your hands it is still in postal channels even if it is in your mailbox.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:10 AM   #35
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RangerMelB

I have not been contacted all week by KOA
I have received no response to my email either. I am not sure what they can say ... but they certainly ought to at least acknowledge receipt of the message. I suspect the person in charge of responding to email was not briefed on how to handle something like this. What they have on their hands is a significant management problem, not just a consumer complaint. One would hope that telling your KOA story on a significant RV internet forum might generate some sort of reaction or response from KOA corporate management. If it does not, it will tell all of us something about KOA as a company and about the sincerity and motivations of the people who reside behind the smiles and hospitality so proudly presented in their advertising.

Bill
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 03:36 PM   #36
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Here, finally is KOA's official response to the way their name is used, and the people who represent them.

Dear Kevin and Melody,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. As you
know
each KOA is individually owned and operated. Therefore, it would be
inappropriate for us to comment on the content mentioned below.

Regards,
Susan Salveson
HR Coordinator
KOA Home Office
(406)248-7444

A finer piece of corporate non-answer I have never seen. If the campground doesn't make enough money or LOOK good enough, they lose the franchise. Ill useage of seasonal staff doesn't even warrant a comment.
Bill, in order for this to be a management problem, thre has to BE some management going on. There isn't.

Incidentally, we did have ONE piece of our mail show up. it was postmarked at Canton on the 16th of May... and was not postmarked for the RETURN from Mansfield (45 miles away) until the 26th. It came back to my sister in law finally today (2nd). The other one is still gone. Sioux Falls has never gotten it back.

Just as we suspected, we have neither recieved our final paycheck nor anything that remotely resembles proof or paystubs backing up his claim that we were paid too much. I guess we should consider it a small price to pay.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #37
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Have you contacted the labor board?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 04:10 AM   #38
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
No, I havent yet, not too sure what good it would do, but thinking that perhaps OSHA and other agencies need to know about this place.
Old 06-03-2006, 05:18 AM   #39
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
If they did not pay you properly the labor board will make them pay up. Also if the broke any labor laws they will be held acountable for that. After reading your posts I would think it would not hurt you at all to speak with someone at the Labor Board.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:36 AM   #40
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
The mail finally did show up. It was recieved BACK in South Dakota on the 1st. we got it back here on the 5th. Of course it is now full of overdue bills, since it took nearly a month to get it back from them. I will be looking up someone from Ohio Labor to visit with.