Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Workamping
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2006, 02:38 AM   #1
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Leaving this place precipitously

Some will remember Kevin and I saying that we would be working as assistant managers at the Shelby Mansfield KOA till October. Saying how great it was going to be learning the ropes of the KOA system etc etc. Learning to run the office and be more marketable to KOA.
Well lemme tell ya!
We were told that. We were also told there was going to be cable TV here, and that we would have a 50 amp site (I insisted). We were also told that I would be working in the office, learning Kampsite and store management.
Even though the woman who trained me says I picked it up faster than anyone she's ever trained, I have spent a grand total of 8-10 hrs working in the office. The rest of the time... for minimum wage mind you, Kevin and I have been doing either highly technical work (such as installing the fabled cable system (In the other campground, no the one we are in... there will be NO cable here), or doing all the electrician work the owner could find for Kevin to do. Kevin even chipped a tooth the other day with the needle nose pliers trying to strip some OLD OLD romex wire that he was brought to do repairs with (this romex has the sheath all around EACH of the interior wires, to tell those of you in the know how old). As he was pulling and tugging... WHACK
When we aren't doing that, we have been digging ditches, chopping firewood, schlepping a semi load (Literally) of mulch, rug doctoring a 3500 sq foot banquet hall floor, and to top it all off... I was sent to do maid service on a personally owned rental house of thiers day before yesterday.
Our mail forwarding service sent a package on the 5th.. we haven't got it, and THEY haven't gotten it back, which tells me that the owner disposed of it!
We are sore, and sick and tired of working like indentured servants for minimum wage and the ABSOLUTE WORST site we have ever had to occupy. 30 Amps only, barely long enough for the 3295 (have to park the TV cattywompus in front)our awning almost touches the trailer next door, and our view consists of the back of thier trailer, and the sewer hooks. This palace is convieniently located right behind the store, and between the pool, the basketball court (till ten or 11 on weekend nights with the crash of balls on the back stop), and the playground.. (last Sunday, the screaming started over there at 10 after 7.
We have discovered that it is 100% about the bucks for these people. The owner even bragged to me about how he threw the family out of that rental house last fall because they had struggled to make the rent, and he didn't want to have to worry about whether they could pay the heat. (I'm sure he threw them out just early enough in the fall to bypass the law that says you can't throw small children out in the winter.
Yesterday, we were told we can no longer use the carts to run around the campground, but must instead walk everywhere we go (I'm sure this is becuase the owner's wife saw me stop at MY trailer to pick up trash on my round of trash picking the day previous). It's a horrible situation, and we will be leaving by the end of the weekend.

Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:47 AM   #2
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Gosh, I am so sorry that things aren't working out for you. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by moving on. Hopefully you will find some other camp that will be up front with you and appreciate your hard work.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:00 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I have to give you credit, you gave them a chance. I think you lasted longer than I could, I'm not one to spread mulch at my own stick house, let alone that much! I would probably get in touch with KOA personel and vent my feelings. Good luck at your next CG, I'm sure it won't be that bad again.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:21 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
WOW, some adventure in workamping. Almost sounds like Lorraine and I at Robin Hill Campgrounds here in PA. Our site was fine and we did have cable TV but the rest of the story is very similar to yours. 2 campgrounds we are better off staying away from.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:19 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Here is hoping you two find better digs!! Good luck!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:24 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Sounds like a wise decision to leave. Hope your next experience is much better.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:03 AM   #7
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
What a mess! I'm sure most others are not that way. Good luck in future work.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Reminds me of a situation my ex and I got into when we were first married. We moved quite a distance, certain things were promised, and we lasted one night once we arrived and saw what reality was. Hope your next experience is more successful.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:34 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I hope this does not stop you from trying again. We have talked to so many people who workamp or act as hosts. They all seem very happy. Remember KOA CG are privately owned so you can't judge all by one.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:40 AM   #10
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Thanls guys for all your uplifting words of encouragement. As a card carrying Value Kard holder. it is my intention to contact KOA corp at Billings and tell them, not only has the poor treatment of us resulted in the loss of good workampers at this park, but it has also caused me to seriously doubt the KOA ethic and make me spend my travelling nights ANYWHERE else but a KOA. (I'm hoping that carries more weight than some schlepper workamper complaining they weren't done right by. Also will mention that I told ALL my friends at MOC and else where about how KOA treats the help.)
Old 05-19-2006, 07:28 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
let them know that we will toss our KOA card or not depending on what we hear from you. Do none of the work laws appply to KOA Campgrounds.Like the FLSA (fair labor standards act) There are Federal and State laws that protect the Employee from employers like these folks.Perhaps some of us MOC'ers should zip a E mail to KOA national..We will...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #12
Bill Frisbee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4493
For what it is worth, I have said my piece to KOA, Inc about this sorry story. This is my second "rant" to KOA within the past week. If anyone is considering the Toronto West KOA in their future travels, I would encourage you to look for alternatives. The folks in charge would not even open the gate when I stopped to get information and look at the facilities. Was told I could park my truck outside and walk around ... in the rain. Information about rates was supposedly provided on a sheet of paper inside a kiosk somewhere outside the campground gates. I did not (and will not) bother to look. Of course, this particular KOA won a President's Award in 2005 ... which tells me all I need to know about President's Awards in KOA! That being said, we have had a great time at the KOA in Mercer/Grove City, PA and will be returning there for a prolonged visit in July. As someone said above, every campground is unique unto itself. The fact that all KOAs look alike does not mean much more than that! It all depends on the folks who run the place.

BTW, KOA, Inc did respond to my previous email. Pretty much corporate boilerplate ... but at least it was an response and an acknowledgement that they had received and read my comments.
Bill Frisbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:15 PM   #13
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I'm sorry to hear that too. Rich is on to something, you have the ears of 5600 people here that don't have to choose KOA (sounds like most don't but they don't have to know that). I'd mention it to KOA corporate, can't hurt any.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Sorry to hear that things did not work out for you.....I know that when we visited with you in April you were very unhappy with the way things were going. You lasted longer then John and I would have.
I am sure that you will find a nice campground down the road which you will enjoy working at. My only suggestion would be to visit the campground first and not accept a workcamping job.....sight unseen.
Please keep us posted.
John and I are at the Perryville, MO KOA for two nights, and will be in the Denver, CO area over the Memorial Day weekend. Safe travels. Marge
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #15
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
John & Marge,

Where you going to be in the Denver area? That's home to me, but I'll not be there, I'll be in Cripple Creek, there is a great KOA there, highest in the nation. We take my mom there every year, usually Memorial and Labor Day, she loves to go gambling, well WE love to go gambling.

mac
Old 05-19-2006, 01:29 PM   #16
JLBOZ60
Montana Master

M.O.C. #826
Mac, We are planning on being at the Denver East KOA in Strasburg, CO......... Marge
JLBOZ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:55 PM   #17
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
Believe it or not Rich, these people have told the kids who work here that the law says they "have to clock out for a mandatory 30 minute break" Last I checked, FLSA said only that employers were required to GIVE a 30 minute lunch break (and two other breaks) during an 8 hr shift.... Worst part is, we took a significant pay cut to come here and learn the KOA ropes, and now we really can't afford to leave Ohio. Going to go over to Smithville and see about ground jobs to get back on our feet. We have MANY job offers on workamper right now, but not enough ready cash available to get to any. Up side is.. we will be able to go to sleep at night without a basketball crashing outside. This could really be a wonderful place, but it is marred beyond repair by the owners. Only so much pettiness can be tolerated, and I have never worked for minimum wage before... to be abused into the bargain is outrageous.

PS John and Marge, enjoy your trip... Not all the KOAs are bad to stay at, but I am seeing a troubling trend in what I found in the Workamper regarding WORKING for them.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:10 PM   #18
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
John and Marge,

Never been to that campground in Strasburg so I can't add much, hope it's a nice one for you.

mac
Old 05-20-2006, 10:14 AM   #19
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Thanks for sharing your story. Sounds like we have had exceptionally good luck when we stayed at KOA's. Will make me think twice when choosing the next one.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 11:46 PM   #20
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
The coup de grace occured yesterday when we turned in our stuff and the owner told us that his accountant had accidentally paid both of us what we should have earned together. "we're gonna need to get half of that back"
He also then tried to back pedal on telling kevin that making the pedistal 50 amp was on his time, couldn't understant why I wanted to learn the office rather than be worked like a field hand.
The best part was the deer in the headlights look that SHE got when Kevin walked in and demanded our mail... (she claimed to have no knowledge).
I would imagine under these circumstances that we can kiss our last weeks paycheck goodbye.... but I have been advised by several NOT to give them another thin dime. What would you all do?
Bill F. How did you get hold of KOA corporate?
PS. In the good news side, I found two want ads in the paper, and went too apply at Lehmans Hardware for a job working in the warehouse call center. There was also an ad for a travel representative for AAA. Both would be kind of fun. This situation may force us out of full timing for a while. At least we are near family who WANT us to stay.