Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Earthquakes in Reno

There have been hundreds of minor earthquakes a few miles northwest of Reno in the last few weeks, and I just saw that a warning has been issued that residents should prepare for a major incident, possibly a magnitude 6 or greater.

We are about 60 miles south of that area and have not noticed any of the quakes, which have registered as high as a 4.7 last night. Fortunately, our home is off the valley floor on very stable rock. About 15 years ago we had a magnitude 6.0 about 15 miles from here, and we had no damage. Those people living on the valley floor weren't so fortunate as the sediments liquified and magnified the effect of the quake.

Considering the frequency of the temblors, and the forecast, the people in Renomust be on edge, and I have a great deal of sympathy for them. Fortunately, the majority of the temblors have been below the threshold where we can feel them, but it still has to be unsettling, to say the least.

Sharon and I have discussed some of the basic precautions and actions that we'll take should there be a major quake. Our only utility that must be shut down is electricity. That protects our water supply in case of damage and eliminates any source of ignition. The Montana becomes our shelter, and we have generators and fuel to provide power for several days.

We hope there won't be a major quake, but who knows? At least we've got the resources and have done basic planning for survival.

Have you?

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote