Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2018, 05:41 PM   #1
Lconover

M.O.C. #22134
Water leaks thru AC returns

Is anyone having problems with water leaking into the trailer trough the AC returns when it rains? If so, how did you fix it?

Lconover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
If it is a Blizzard there are a lot of posts here that will explain the problem and the correction. There is a service bulletin will help. Search for Blizzard.
Butch & Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #3
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Here is the bulletin I referenced.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...79726-2280.pdf
Old 07-05-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Lconover

M.O.C. #22134
Yes it is a blizzard. We did find some unused drilled holes but apparently not all of them. Honestly, why would someone who sells a trailer leave these holes unplugged. Kind of stupid to me and poor quality.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #5
Mark Stueck
Established Member

M.O.C. #18844
Send a message via AIM to Mark Stueck
took 3 visits but finally got water from return air vents FIXED. take covers off roof air and grill and filter off return ducts. Use your phone to view up the duct and you should see all the way thru. Mine looked OK with just a look at the ends of the duct. But almost completely collapsed in the middle ( VERY LITTLE ) air getting thru. needed to insert piece of 1 inch PVC from each end and the duct opened all the way to the middle. What was happening was the unit was trying to suck air thru the duct and could NOT get enough. In doing so it was sucking air thru the drip pan drain hole not allowing the unit to drain, It sucked enough water to enter the return ducts.
Mark Stueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #6
kench
Established Member

M.O.C. #18135
Hello We as Montana owners will use the phrase " stupid and poor quality"

quite often when referring to the Keystone folks..... just sayin
kench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:03 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
Originally Posted by kench View Post
Hello We as Montana owners will use the phrase " stupid and poor quality"

quite often when referring to the Keystone folks..... just sayin
To be fair, you'll notice that this is a Hearland bulletin. Keystone may not be a lot better, but they certainly aren't worse. Just ask my friend who bought a much more expensive rig and had his cabinets fall off the wall holding the same stuff he had in his cabinets in the Monty.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 AM   #8
Lconover

M.O.C. #22134
Trust me. We owned a prowler by Heartland before this. Got rid of it before a year was up. The walls literally split at the seams among other issues and they would not stand behind their product. By no means am I bashing Keystone but Montana is far better than the heartland product as far as workmanship goes. We just want to find out why the AC is leaking.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #9
Lconover

M.O.C. #22134
Mike you said after three visits. My husband did what you said and today the AC returns still leaked even without the AC running. We are at a loss. We live in NJ and have zero confidence in our local RV repair places (camping world). Any suggestions?
Old 07-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
kench
Established Member

M.O.C. #18135
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
To be fair, you'll notice that this is a Hearland bulletin. Keystone may not be a lot better, but they certainly aren't worse. Just ask my friend who bought a much more expensive rig and had his cabinets fall off the wall holding the same stuff he had in his cabinets in the Monty.
OOps Sorry I thought I was on the Montana Owners website.....Happy Camping
kench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #11
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
This problem has been known to both Keystone and Dometic for at least 2 years (since we bought our HC) I had to explain it to my service guys. Lack of sealant around the mounting bolts, and insufficient drain holes outside the perimeter of the roof gasket. Interesting that they are still shipping them from the factory with the same defects 2 years later and that the service guys are still ignorant.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:35 AM   #12
Pathfinder75
Established Member

M.O.C. #19500
Had our High Country back to dealer twice. 1st repair (1-month in shop) the did the seal hole repair but no change in return air vent leak (only in rain, we never felt leak had anything to do with AC running). 2nd repair (2-month at shop) they replaced complete Blizzard unit with same model (was told housings were defective, still not sure why the mechanical portion had to be replaced if plastic housing was a fault). This seemed to fix issue since September 2017 and have been in rain many times so hope problem is gone for good.
Was told that the base gasket will age and need replaced in time so I monitor vents when we have rain so I hope to catch a leak if this gasket should leak in future.
I'm not sure they really know how to fix they just throw another repair at it to see if it does fix it. Best of luck with yours.

2017 Montana HC 353RL - Sailun S637's, Progressive EMS-HW50C
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC 6.7L SRW LB, B&W Companion OEM puck mt.
Pathfinder75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #13
MidMOTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20688
Remove top ac cover 4 #2 Phillips screws
Tighten 4 13mm bolts to compress neoprene gasket
Replace cover
Mine were only finger tight on rear unit.
Done on advice of a friend who had the leaky returns.
Hope this helps.
2017 F450 DRW KR 4x4
MidMOTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #14
Lconover

M.O.C. #22134
Unfortunately we have no faith in our local repair at camping world or other. They too hold onto the trailer for weeks or months and I don’t really think they know what they’re doing. We did not buy the camper to sit at camping world for repairs. And they are not interested in reimbursing us for down time. My husband is handy so he took advice from many on this blog and thanks to everyone he removed the mounting bolts put clear silicone in the holes and tightly replaced the bolts. So far so good.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #15
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
ac water leak

has anyone checked to see if they had a sag in the roof by the living room AC? mine did , it was a HC 310RE . It was bought as a holdover this spring (2017 model year) it made a trip to Florida and back and ended up having many issues with it, but one major one was the roof sag 1 and 1/2 inches under the AC unit . the water puddled around the ac on the outside. it was still under warranty but the factory rep looked at it and said it was a acceptable industry standard, other words they don't want to pay to have it fixed. The issue was that there was no roof trusses by the sides of AC unit to support it. The dealer went at bat for us and said it was not acceptable especially up here in heavy snow country, and fought with Keystone and did get it covered. They fixed it and its rugger than originally. The rep said all the newer MONTANA'S are designed that way. Just something you might want to check. take a string and go across the interior ceiling from wall to wall is the best way or get on the roof with a straight edge.
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 01:17 PM   #16
slb714

M.O.C. #19409
Check your housing cover, I had the same problem. My housing cover where the top housing meets the bottom housing was not lining up and the bottom was sticking out letting the rain water inside. I could not get them to line up properly, I ended up sealing it all the way around with gorilla tape hadn't had a problem since
slb714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:27 PM   #17
Chrissy15

M.O.C. #28923
I have a Montana and we are having same issue with leaking AC vents.
Chrissy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 03:18 PM   #18
Butch & Kathy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy15 View Post
I have a Montana and we are having same issue with leaking AC vents.
Here is the link for the service bulletin.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...79726-2280.pdf

What year is your Montana? Dometic may have fixed this in later models…
Old 06-09-2021, 03:41 PM   #19
Chrissy15

M.O.C. #28923
Angry

It is a 2020. Not only are we having leaks from AC vents, we have had water leak from water hose for ice cube maker, which must have been a slow leak as it caused some mold to grow. We have a leak from the faucet in the bathroom. this is just this year so far. Last year, about 2 weeks after delivery, the auto leveler broke, the radio didn't work and we had a torn up gasket on a storage door.

Besides the major water leaks, this year, we had to replace a dead battery, we had no heat for the first few weeks (we are in the mountains of NH), turns out we needed a new sail switch, thern the water leaks. Every day something else pops up as either leaking, broken or malfunctioning somehow.

We have an extended warranty, and each time we have something fixed, we pay out of pocket. Once all is fixed we will submit the bill to Pete's RV and pray they can pay us back.

As far as the AC leaking from vents inside, it is definitely coming from rain. We placed a tarp around the bottom of the ac unit in hops it would stop the rain coming in, but that didn't work. We have a repair service coming in a week.

Now, this is a new camper. We haven't even had it for a year. Last year, we had issues within a few weeks of delivery. Now, these issues this year. We feel we bought a LEMON! Let me just say, that we did expect to have a few minor hiccups last year, however not to the extent that we did. Now, this year, we have major issues including mold that will need to be cleaned up.

We have talked with Pete's RV and they said they "feel for us". THe best they can do is suggest that we get it all repaired, and submit receipts and pictures to hopefully get money back.

We bought a Montana as we heard great things about it. With the amount of money we paid, we never in a million years thought we would be dealing with all of these issues and frustration.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!
Chrissy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #20
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
We have a 2020 MHC and the AC leaked just like yours. It was an easy fix as the service bulletin points out. I thought it was rain at first and saw the SB, after that was done, no more issues. All your issues have to do with components purchased and installed by Keystone, not that uncommon. My experience has been that after a year or so you work out all these little issues and things go a lot better.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote