Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 05:36 PM   #1
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Charging batterys

I have purchased 2 new Trojan T-105 6 volt batterys for our 2018 3731 Montana.I’am connecting them in series for 12 volts.The batterys were charged from the factory and what I want to know is as long as I’am plugged into 50 amp will they stay charged?
I have installed a 50 amp service from my garage and keep it connected all the time when not using.Will the constant charging overcharge these batterys in time?I know I have to maintain the batterys so they don’t go dry.
If I disconnect the 50 amp will the residential fridge drain the batterys or does it only run on 12 volt when connected to the tow vehicle?

Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
#1-You don't need a 50 amp service to your unit to keep the batteries charged up (a normal 15 amp will be fine) get a 50 to 15 amp adapter so you do not have to get the anaconda cord out. 50 amp would only be needed if you were going to use it in place (running the a/c etc.)
#2- as long as you keep an eye on the battery water levels, leaving it plugged in 24?7 will keep the batteries charged and will not over charge them (should have a smart charger)
#3 All though I have never owned a camper with a residential fridge, I would assume that when plugged into shore power it only uses 120 volt a/c power. Make sure any inverters are turned off.

Hope this helps you out.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
I thought the inverter controls charging the batterys?
What would the reason for a smart charger?
Will it interfere with the inverter?
Old 09-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have the same batterys you have in my MH. I leave it plugged up. In 2 years the batterys remained charged and haven’t needed water. I put a converter in it with a smart battery charger. I suspect you have a smart charger in your camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
Jersey Devil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20374
Thanks for the information.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:39 PM   #6
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
I thought the inverter controls charging the batterys?
What would the reason for a smart charger?
Will it interfere with the inverter?
The inverter provides ac current to your reefer when not connected to shore power like when you are boondocking or towing down the highway. Your converter is what charges your batteries and provides 12 volt power to your 12 volt devices when connected to shore power.

Recommend you turn your inverter and reefer off when in storage.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
The inverter provides ac current to your reefer when not connected to shore power like when you are boondocking or towing down the highway. Your converter is what charges your batteries and provides 12 volt power to your 12 volt devices when connected to shore power.

Recommend you turn your inverter and reefer off when in storage.
Ditto to definition of equipment involved

However, I don’t think it is necessary to turn off the fridge if it is a residential. We have two residentials that have run nonstop for many years and I suspect it may actually be harder on them if You Cycle them excessively. I just like having the camper ready to go at any time
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Yes your unit should have a multistage smart charging converter. It will not over charge the batteries.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote