Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #21
pauljbeaubien

M.O.C. #17649
Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Billhorn, The trim I am talking about is on the exterior of the bedroom slide (at the bottom). There is a square corner piece screwed on each side. The bottom trim piece goes from front to back and has 3 or so screws in the face of it and a bunch up from the bottom. What happens is water rolls down the face of the slide and penetrates between the bottom trim piece and the slide wall and gets trapped in there rotting the slide floor. These trim pieces need to be removed and caulked in place upon reinstallation.
I had a similar issue with my bedroom bottom slide trim. Exterior caulking had failed and allowed water to collect on the bottom edge of the plywood siding. Using wood petrifier to solidify the rotton edge. Also the extrabond tape used on the slide roof still had plastic attached to parts of the tape and this created a roof leak. Factory or dealer had placed a substantial amount of caulking to resolve the issue in the past.

pauljbeaubien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #22
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If the 4" exterior trim is not sealed up it would make any difference as to weather the slide was in or out. Water will still get in and cause the floor to rot.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:11 AM   #23
sdetweil
Established Member

M.O.C. #13656
My bedroom slide broke too. The U shaped bracket the ram attaches to broke off from the wall flange. Looked like it was just spot welded.
sdetweil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #24
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
im dumb

On a few different occasions I looked at the top of the bottom trim piece to see if it might leak. While looking at it again today and deciding it is tight and was previously caulked my wife says "what about the hole on the side". So I looked at both sides trim pieces and there was open spots that would allow water with any wind to pour in. Both sides can and will be sealed up the next chance I get when it's dry. So This lesson for this newbee is look up, down and sideways when looking for any possible water penetration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	2429  
Billhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
If by hole you mean the sides of the vertical trim pieces, they should be sealed just like the bottom.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #26
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
side job

Can the sides be taken off without removing the bottom trim piece? I don't think I better try to remove the bottom because of the bad wood that is still under there I'm afraid I might not get the bottom screws back in solidly. The bottom piece seems tight and sealed. What would be the procedure, remove the sides, clean them up and then run a bead of silicone on the edge and mush the trim piece onto the fiberglass wall? (mush?)
Old 10-03-2018, 08:45 AM   #27
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I have never taken any of my trim off. I believe the bottom/sides & top are all separate pieces and can be removed separately from each other. If I did take them off, I would clean them up and back caulk them into place. Then caulk the joint.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:13 PM   #28
Billhorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22177
The final solution

Upon close examination of the bedroom slide outside wall I determined my previous conclusion probably wasn't correct. I thought the side trim pieces were the source of my water leak. After probing the seams it seemed that they were solid and sealed enough to stop water from getting in. I again looked at the top of the bottom trim and decided to push on it to see how well it was bonded. It pushed in easily and I could see the trim piece only covers the botton of the fiberglass wall panel by 1/8". I decided the only way I was going to get any sleep was to slap a strip of 4" eternabond tape over the joint.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eternabond.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	644.9 KB
ID:	2439   Click image for larger version

Name:	push.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	2440  
Old 10-05-2018, 05:51 AM   #29
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
I had a 2005 3670 that had a bedroom slide leak when new. If you look along the bottom of the slides in your picture you see a trim piece with a vinyl screw cover strip. The factory replaced that piece(on both sides) with a 90deg piece (like angle iron) and screwed into the side. Apparently water gets behind the screw cover and channels into the slide. All of the newer units were built with the newer trim.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 08:21 AM   #30
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Not pretty but that joint will not leak now. I did not tape any of those areas (yet) but I did tape the horizontal trim (top and bottom) on the slide sides (which have been known to leak also) I also taped the vertical joints going up the slides and re-taped across the tops
Old 05-12-2019, 03:02 PM   #31
kbabb72
Established Member

M.O.C. #5794
Send a message via AIM to kbabb72 Send a message via MSN to kbabb72
That is what happened to us! We have to repl plywood. What a mess.
kbabb72 is offline   Reply With Quote