Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 08:28 AM   #21
sbemis611
Established Member

M.O.C. #17705
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinrob View Post
I'm interested in this 3MM Ferrite Choke. Did you install on the power line in back of camper where camera attaches or are you speaking about the power connection to the monitor in the truck? Where can I pick up one? Looking at the Furrion Manual it appears there is a diagram that shows a something that looks like a Ferrite Choke in the installation instructions

I bought them on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You have to buy 10 but they are cheap.

Steve

sbemis611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 11:55 AM   #22
LaydBack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbemis611 View Post
I had a similar problem with my Furrion Observation Camera. The issue I found was two problems where causing the camera to cut out.

1) The antenna tip needs to be closer to the back of the trailer so that the Donut of coverage pattern goes down toward the Tow Vehicle.

2) It seems like the wiring of the camera power is pretty noisy as you can imagine basically all the 12V wiring becomes antenna and it is injecting the circuits with a tremendous amount of interference. I installed a 3mm ferrite choke on the power line and this eliminated most of that problem.

Now the signal is much stronger 4 bars min all the time and I no longer have any loss of camera input.
I experienced intermittent episodes of losing the signal to the monitor, to and from the Goshen rally. I too had TPMS system, Bluetooth, cellular, and hotspot signals going. Link to ferrite choke and pics would be great.
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 12:01 PM   #23
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
If you got the legacy package, they owe you a camera. If not, a search for rv back up cameras will have many choices. Furrion just isn't a brand that has given me much satisfaction.
No Legacy, just a prewire. I haven't really begun to research it yet, but since there appears to be some contempt for Furrion I was just looking for some input on what the members here considered to be the best alternative.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #24
sbemis611
Established Member

M.O.C. #17705
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinrob View Post
I'm interested in this 3MM Ferrite Choke. Did you install on the power line in back of camper where camera attaches or are you speaking about the power connection to the monitor in the truck? Where can I pick up one? Looking at the Furrion Manual it appears there is a diagram that shows a something that looks like a Ferrite Choke in the installation instructions
I installed the choke on the power input side of the camera not on the monitor side. However it would not hurt to do both, however I believe the monitor side would require a bigger version of the choke.

Steve
Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #25
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
1) The antenna tip needs to be closer to the back of the trailer so that the Donut of coverage pattern goes down toward the Tow Vehicle.

Do you mean the antenna on the camera? So basically the antenna should be vertical and centered on the camera, and pointed toward the truck as much as possible?

I installed a 3mm ferrite choke on the power line and this eliminated most of that problem.

Did you access the power wire from inside the back of the camper? I have cabinets across the back. Do you have to remove the cabinet back panels to get to the wire? Or did you find the wire somewhere else?
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #26
sbemis611
Established Member

M.O.C. #17705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post

Do you mean the antenna on the camera? So basically the antenna should be vertical and centered on the camera, and pointed toward the truck as much as possible?

I installed a 3mm ferrite choke on the power line and this eliminated most of that problem.

Did you access the power wire from inside the back of the camper? I have cabinets across the back. Do you have to remove the cabinet back panels to get to the wire? Or did you find the wire somewhere else?

No if you remove the camera from the housing there will be a 1/4 inch connector that plugs into the camera itself. Clamp a choke on above the connector and push the whole thing back into the camera housing will take you longer to get the 4 screws out than the rest of the job.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:00 PM   #27
sbemis611
Established Member

M.O.C. #17705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post

Just realized I missed one of your questions the antenna on the camera has a kinda notch in it but if you leave it there is is pretty vertical to the trailer the problem is that the radiation pattern of those types of antenna is like a sliced in half donut if you where to look at it from the side with the donut hole being the center of the antenna. So with the antenna vertical most of the radiated power is flying over the Tow Vehicle since the camera is mounted so high on the Trailer. if you push the tip of the antenna closer to the Rig it tilts that radiation pattern on making the fatter part of that donut pattern inline with where the dash of the Tow vehicle is. If you are still unsure of what the heck I am talking about let me know and I will see if I can find or draw (not a pretty site) a picture
Old 09-25-2018, 06:55 PM   #28
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Antenna position

Thanks for the excellent explaination!!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:12 PM   #29
LaydBack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21214
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbemis611 View Post
Just realized I missed one of your questions the antenna on the camera has a kinda notch in it but if you leave it there is is pretty vertical to the trailer the problem is that the radiation pattern of those types of antenna is like a sliced in half donut if you where to look at it from the side with the donut hole being the center of the antenna. So with the antenna vertical most of the radiated power is flying over the Tow Vehicle since the camera is mounted so high on the Trailer. if you push the tip of the antenna closer to the Rig it tilts that radiation pattern on making the fatter part of that donut pattern inline with where the dash of the Tow vehicle is. If you are still unsure of what the heck I am talking about let me know and I will see if I can find or draw (not a pretty site) a picture
Sorry, but I'm not picturing it....drawing please
LaydBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #30
sbemis611
Established Member

M.O.C. #17705
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaydBack View Post
Sorry, but I'm not picturing it....drawing please

Okay found a one see below this is the shape of the pattern of RF energy that comes off the tip of the antenna it radiates out like a big doughnut. As you can see from the pattern the signal decrease as you leave the central plane all the way to zero so by tilting the antenna you can aim the fat part of the doughnut toward the Tow Vehicle creating a more powerful signal.

Old 09-27-2018, 08:17 PM   #31
Gregg
Established Member

M.O.C. #21231
Had nothing but problems with TADIBrothers

I have to take this statement back. I spent 4 months working with TadiBrothers trying to make a wireless camera work on my 2017 Montana 3721RL. We tried everything. power noise suppressors. Separate power wire all the way to the camera. multiple antennas remotely mounted so they we closer to each other. the TadiBrothers wireless system is supposed to work out to 100'. at on point I had antennas 31 feet from each other we moved the all over the TV and top of the trailer. the problem was intermittent signal. Even setting stationary with the engine off and a recording digital volt meter recording the supply voltage. IT was finally determined there is so much aluminum in our Trailers the interference is to much to provide a consistent signal. So I am having to go to a wires signal. EDY a manager at TadiBrothers refunded my money. Of course I was out a bunch of shipping. But We learned a lot in the process. I do appreciate the effort Eddy at TadiBrothers put into trying to make this system wireless system work.
Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote