Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
jasonreaume
Established Member

M.O.C. #17160
Winegard Trav'ler install

I have a 2016 Montana 3721 RL and will be installing the winegard trav'ler Directv roof mount satellite. Any tips would be welcomed. If anyone has done this did you buy the aluminum base plate for extra stability or is without it doable. Thanks

jasonreaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:17 PM   #2
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Ours was installed for us and they did not use the plate. I asked about it because it made sense to me. On our 3160 they mounted on the off door side just past where the roof starts to slope and it is actually over one of the slides. It is nice having our local stations (Tri-Cities WA) while we were in Portland OR. On ours they routed the cables down the back of our pantry. Remember that you still have to have the receivers by the TV's if you want the HD capability.

TomMarty
Old 04-01-2016, 02:36 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

Remember that you still have to have the receivers by the TV's if you want the HD capability.

TomMarty
Now I'm confused and I must admit that it's certainly not the first time. Does this statement imply that Directv offers SD service without having to have a receiver? Some people (not me) don't feel the need for HD.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 03:08 AM   #4
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Satellite services require a receiver. For your install, layout your plan for running the coax and control cables from the placement of the satellite dish on the roof. If you are planning to have a receiver at each TV, routing of the coax must be understood, either to the TV location, or the convience center, if your unit has such. If the receiver also has a dvr, you MAY require 2 coax cables to allow for watching one channel while recording a second.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:21 AM   #5
jasonreaume
Established Member

M.O.C. #17160
I appreciate the tips. As the previous post stated, all Directv service needs some type of receiver, but only the roof mounted Trav'ler or a tripod with the Slim line dish allows for HD the carryout versions only allow SD.
jasonreaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:30 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ours is routed thru the front closet where the connection for the second TV and the normal antenna come together and somehow they hooked it all up right there. Sorry I don't know more about this, but that's not my thing. In my case I have a hopper near the livingroom TV and a Joey near the bedroom TV.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:21 AM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
David what I was try to say is you need a receiver near each TV or you would need a dual type receiver that has radio control through the remote if you do not have direct line of sight. Also if you want HD quality picture instead of just Digital you will need to run the HDMI cable from the receivers to the TV's. That is why I suggested the receiver by each TV so your coaxial carries the signal to the receiver and then the receiver puts out the HDMI on a short run to your TV.

Tom Marty
Old 04-01-2016, 07:33 AM   #8
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
I was able to use an HD cable splitter from the bedroom TV, and route it to the outside TV in the basement. With the Direct TV controller set to RF, I can change channels from outside. And, since we have an H D dvr in the living room, you need two coax cables to be able to watch and record other channels at the same time. My dealer did all of this for us, so I have no idea how they routed allowed the cables. I leave the HD dvr receiver in the trailer all the time, and bring a non-dvr HD receiver from home for the bedroom TV.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #9
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Just got our Trav'ler SK-1000 (Dish) installed on our new 3440RL. I purchased the dish online for the best price and my original dealer wss not only willing to install it but modified my warranty appointment to include the dish install as well, much props.

So while I definitely could have installed this myself I did not want any issues with the Keystone warranty should a problem arise. In hindsight I got a first hand look at a real lack of craftsmanship. Many years ago I was an electrical superintendent for a local mobile building manufacturer and I can tell you they never put out product like that on my watch. Forget about the visual appearance of the installation, the ends of coax cabling that were ID'd the same are not the same cable, stapling through wires making them useless. I believe 5 or 6 coax F connectors pulled off in either mine or the install technicians hands. This all made a 3.5 hour job turn into an additional 4 hours of troubleshooting just to get signal to the end points.

I am certainly glad I did not attempt to have the dealer install the Hopper 3, 4k Joey and associated Solo Node, splitter and A/B switch. I will do these myself later.

For those on Dish when you travel over a certain distance from your home zip code do you actually stop receiving your local channels? I know you have to call or chat to change your zip to get the locals for your new location, but I wasn't sure what actually happens to the reception of the "home" zip channels.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:08 AM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
When you leave the zone of the locals that you were connected to, it just displays a no signal message, like you are not receiving a signal from the dish. The other channels still work, and when we are traveling a long distance, we just don't worry about the locals, until we get to our destination.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:28 AM   #11
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Thanks Bob!
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:13 AM   #12
Sundogette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13254
We have the Winegard HD Traveler installed on our roof with Directv. Love it. Added the Distant Network Service to our account. That way, when we are outside our local spot beam area (Phoenix), we can receive network programming from LA or NY. We DVR most of the things we watch. Pete is an avid racing fan, so he wanted the capability to record racing events on network channels. We also switch to digital air if we really want to watch a local news broadcast...not very often.
Sundogette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #13
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I have the Dish traveler system in the RV and a Home system. When traveling I can either call Dish or go on line and chat with a tech and have them change to my local Zip code. I do have separate accounts for the stick home and the RV so only the RV account changes. Billing address for both stays the same.
Not to start something but I had Direct TV since about 1987 or so and would have loved to stay with them but found them very hard to work with when trying to get local channels while on the road. The last straw was AT&T buying them. As they can't run a phone company let alone a sat TV Company. JMHO is all.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:39 PM   #14
stengels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14162
Send a message via AIM to stengels
I understand that this doesn't involve the roof mounted satellite, but can someone tell me if I can get one of the portable units (King or Wineguard) and run the cable from the satellite, directly to my cable hook-up in the convenience center? I would then hook the receiver up using the cable coming to the television/DVD player?
Old 05-01-2016, 04:31 AM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
In installed mine, just follow the directions and you will be ok. I used an outdoor 4x4 box cover for the baseplate on the arm rest, saved a bit of money.
I ran my wires down by the bathroom exhaust. Take the cowling down around the fan and you can access that area. I snaked the cables using fiberglass wire snaking rods. ( like fishing poles)
I also changed my rooftop dish ( signal catcher) from Direct TV to Dish, not a problem either.
Good luck with it.
Jim. Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #16
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stengels

I understand that this doesn't involve the roof mounted satellite, but can someone tell me if I can get one of the portable units (King or Wineguard) and run the cable from the satellite, directly to my cable hook-up in the convenience center? I would then hook the receiver up using the cable coming to the television/DVD player?
Yes. I had the King Tailgater and the VIP 211z receiver, hooked up thru the cable connection (because the signal wasn't strong enough thru the satellite hookup. Lousy wiring at the factory.) It worked just fine. The portable antennas WILL NOT work with a DVR like the Hopper or Genie. Only with the single tuner receivers. The King Tailgater does have two outputs so you can hook up two different receivers (i.e. one in the living room and one in the bedroom,) but it can only pick up one satellite at a time, so you have to watch channels on the same satellite if watching on both tvs at the same time.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:07 AM   #17
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
The Direct TV roof mount works with the Genie DVR receivers. I just call Direct TV every time we change locations and they "change my service address". Any department you reach can change the service address. Sometimes they want to know the county name. There is usually a comment when they see my "service address changes" about our travels.
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:44 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Steve I just installed a King Tailgater on my MH. It's so easy. Cut every thing on choose your state and go set down and you will be watching TV in about 15 minutes or you can tell it to scan and watch TV 5 minutes earlier.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:53 PM   #19
TBW Ventures
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21572
We bought a Winegard Traveller, with a SHaw Direct Dish. We also got the Winegard Connect for better Wifi coverage and possible cell coverage (not connected yet). The cables for both go through the roof above the bedroom TV. Behind the BR TV we have the Winegard Travellor control unit and Winegard Comnect power switch as well as a receiver for that TV. Using the existing coax cables we connect to the LR tv which has its own HD receiver.

We have had one issue, the traveler would not lock on a satellite consistently after 5 moves. I contacted Winegard and the believe the issue is the cable pak from the LNB to the base. They sent a replacement and I changed it out this weekend. It did seem to fix it but with just one trial I’m not sure. Time will tell. Besides this issue I have been impressed!