Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Heat in stool room

We would like to add a small electric heater in the stool room as our 2000 model 3555RL has no heat in that area- If anyone has done this, please fill me in on what heater was used and how satisfied are you with the outcome? As always, thanks in advance for your input- Don

DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,
I assume you are talking about the room where the commode is located. Don't know of anyone who has put any kind of heater in that room. But several folks have cut holes in the walls so that there would be an exchange of air between the rooms that are the temperature desired and the cold/hot commode room.

All we do is to leave the door slightly ajar. This allows the air to stay the same temperature as the general coach.

We consider our approach to be adequate for our usage. But we are not full timers and that may make a difference.

If you do a search you may find some of the discussions regarding this subject. If my memory is correct I think Brad (can't think of his user name) did a nice job of adding a hole to allow air exchange. There are several members who have done some sort of modification.

By the way I would not put any kind of heater in the commode room because I'd be too afraid of it overheating. As small as it is it would take only a very short time to reach the desired temp.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:12 AM   #3
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Don my wife always uses a electric heater in the bath room when she takes a shower its not something she uses all the time but we have been doing that even with our 2004 montana and also with this one.
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:28 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have a heat vent in the John room... A electrical appliance in the john room can be hazardous to you health..particulary if you are a guy.

Think about it????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We have a heat vent in the John room... A electrical appliance in the john room can be hazardous to you health..particulary if you are a guy.

Think about it????
Hey Rich, having a little trouble with your aim?!

Actually, it would be fairly simple to add a vent in the floor. The furnace has extra ports for additional hoses. You would need a twist in flange to fit the furnace, a piece of the smaller diameter flexible duct hose, and a floor vent that matches the hose size.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
My stool room was only missing the HALF MOON on the door as far as inside cold weather comfort went. I mounted a shelf with sides about half way up an interior wall. I just put the heater on the shelf when we stop. I had to run a short extension cord to a electrical outlet, This setup works great for us. I also have a timer that I turn on to activate the heater and it will turn off if I forget.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We used one of the little "cube" heaters for years before it finally gave out. It was only about a 6" cube and sat on the countertop. It was a little pricey, but a really nice compact size. I can't find one just like it by searching Google, but there are some a little bigger, though. I thought Camping World still had them, but I couldn't find it. It had wood grain looking metal sides with all the controls on the back. It was similar to this, but smaller.

http://www.epinions.com/specs/Holmes...Ceramic_Heater
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Hey Rich that takes me back to my younger day's on the farm and first and last time my little brother and an electric fence met. HE HE I have installed a plug-in in the little boys room, and a electric heater works for us.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have also experienced the electric fence adventure.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote