Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Ceiling fasteners

I noticed that a couple of my ceiling nails were extruding about 1/8 inch, and grabbed a step stool to investigate. I pushed up on the ceiling, and there was about a 1/4 inch gap between the ceiling panel, and whatever is behind it. I tried to tap the nails back in, but they would not hold. I tried a slightly longer and larger nail, and hit something solid! I'm guessing that it was one of the aluminum roof trusses. What exactly is behind the ceiling panels. Is it plywood. If so, I can just re-position the nails so that they don't hit the trusses!

mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
I would check with dealer to be sure there are no wires running along the ceiling. That is all you need. Since it is under warranty, I would let the dealer fix.
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
No...Montana nails the ceiling into the roof trusses with a short hard steel nail shot from a gun. You can't nail into the aluminum truss with a hammer. The only thing that I've found that will work are drywall screws... then you have to figure out how to hide the heads.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 01:34 AM   #4
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gruffy

No...Montana nails the ceiling into the roof trusses with a short hard steel nail shot from a gun. You can't nail into the aluminum truss with a hammer. The only thing that I've found that will work are drywall screws... then you have to figure out how to hide the heads.
Thanks Gruffy. That explains it. I'll go ahead and screw a couple drywall screws into the truss, and cover up the heads with a dab of joint compound.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:11 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Mike,

they use white wood putty at the factory for such cover ups, or wood covered wood putty for the cabinets and such. Just a heads up on that.

Good luck!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:42 AM   #6
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Mike,

they use white wood putty at the factory for such cover ups, or wood covered wood putty for the cabinets and such. Just a heads up on that.

Good luck!
That sounds even better. I was worried that the drywall mud would fall out!