Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #21
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikksen View Post
Haha 21 pairs of shoes I have a family of 8 and each has been allotted a limit on shoes they can take!!
I bet she did not wear more than 3 pair. Doubt she will do that again. She cut back a little on clothes now with a separate washer and dryer installed. She tried the combo maybe 4 times before she gave up on the LOOOOOng cycles and small loads.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #22
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunz View Post
According to his calculations he already has a 2000lb safety cushion, just how much does he need. Not everyone enjoys over paying!
If the OP already has a truck and it can safely tow his current trailer then by all means use what ya got till you are ready to upgrade.

BUT the argument you make goes right out the window when you think about not only a safety cushion but also ROOM TO GROW! Lets be honest, how many folks do you know that bought a smaller 5th wheel and where looking at a bigger one before they had made their second payment?

Based on my own experience (see below) my general advice to folks that are just starting to look at towing and 5th wheels for the first time is buy way more truck than you need for the camper you are looking at now. Because about 80-90% of people that buy a small 5th wheel to start with end up getting a bigger one and in very short order (as in way before they need a new truck)!! Not having to trade both truck and trailer helps a LOT!!! Besides IF you decide that you don't like 5th wheel camping it is very easy to sell what is in very high demand on the used truck market (IE: Long Bed 4x4 Dually).

Having said that I can tell you that I didn't listen to the advice of others and bought a 3/4 ton to tow my previous camper. I delayed upgrading to a larger camper (and had to pass up some fairly good deals on same) till I bought the 1 ton dually! I wish I had listened to the wisdom of others and went ahead with the 1 ton from the get go.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #23
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Since he already has a sufficient hitch for what he needs, I'd say the window's closed!
Theunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:16 AM   #24
Erikksen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21640
Got my new 5er home last night towed great not nearly as bad as I was expecting. We are excited and the montana 362rd is way cool for a big family. I especially like that the microwave vent blows stove aromas, steam and oils outside we were worried about cooking inside. It also has a large pull fan in the ceiling above the stove to exhaust so I think we can cook in it without smelling like a greasy spoon...
Erikksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:29 AM   #25
Erikksen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21640
When I bought my truck it was to be a daily driver in a large city with stop and go traffic and small roads and small parking spaces at work. I had no fifth wheel at all. The 2500HD I bought had a parking lot dent in the back of the cab and had bad injectors. I got it almost half of loan value and my stepdad helped me repair it. It's been a great truck and I'm hoping for 100,000 more miles before I retire it. But when planning a long term pulling vehicle for full timing, a heavier truck is recommended I completely agree. We don't have finances available to replace it right now. I'm taking all the suggestions very seriously about tires, brakes, exhaust brake, airbags, and pin weights.

Now, has anyone taken on the need for more propane storage?
Old 05-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #26
Erikksen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21640
Wow, first week in the HC and already a BB gun accident. Shattered lower portion of my hall window. Asking the dealer for a quote today.. expecting $500 for the part.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #27
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Wow, first week in the HC and already a BB gun accident. Shattered lower portion of my hall window. Asking the dealer for a quote today.. expecting $500 for the part.
Most likely a glass shop will come to you, replace the glass, and charge less...
Old 05-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #28
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Welcome to the forum. A great place to learn and share. Enjoy your new rig.

Alaska is a great place to visit - IMHO the number 1 RV destination on our continent.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #29
Erikksen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21640
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Most likely a glass shop will come to you, replace the glass, and charge less...

All the posts for replacing frameless windows in this forum seem to say the same thing.. OEM only.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:33 PM   #30
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
That's true if they are frame less windows!

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 HC HM352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW CC LB 4x4

Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:33 PM   #31
Erikksen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21640
While we are really enjoying our 5th wheel the 6 point leveling system leaves a lot to be desired. It trips the breaker every time I try to level. Even with the front jacks. I suspect the battery is too small and the voltage is dropping. I think I might price a set of 6 volt tractor batteries to put in series and have plenty of current capacity at rated voltage.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:47 PM   #32
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Erik, I'm assuming that your 6point level-up system is a Lippert or LCI. I would give them a call directly to their Customer Service and explain the situation that is happening. They have one of the best Customer Service systems around and will talk you through the whole thing on analyzing your problem. I have two 12 volt heavy duty marine batteries in our unit and would not be without them. I had a problem when I first took our unit home with the 6 point level-up system and called Lippert Customer Service and they talked me through the whole process and we finally found out the dealer had put in a bad battery. I took it to the dealer and told them what went on and they gave me a second GOOD battery and have had no problems since. Give Lippert a call and I think you will solve your problem. Let us know what you come up with and what they say.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #33
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
While we are really enjoying our 5th wheel the 6 point leveling system leaves a lot to be desired. It trips the breaker every time I try to level. Even with the front jacks. I suspect the battery is too small and the voltage is dropping. I think I might price a set of 6 volt tractor batteries to put in series and have plenty of current capacity at rated voltage.
The Ground Control 3.0 system? On the 2nd 5er with that system and never a problem. I've had 2 size 27 marine deep cycle batteries installed on both. The control panel will show the charge of the batteries. If they are going low a real battery cut off switch is needed, not the one that leaves many items drawing while off. Maybe your battery has a weak cell? Maybe a battery charger is needed if it sits too long. Water level always good? If the batteries have gone dead a few times they may not get fully charged or hold a charge. My neighbor runs the system on one size 27 deep cycle battery that he watches closely.
The CS number for LCI offers great advice. They may have an idea why the breaker is tripping!