Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #21
Montana_2912

M.O.C. #2912
We started with a "3280" in 99 and upgraded to a 3670 "Big Sky" in 2002. Loved both of them. The layout in the 3670 is fantastic for our needs.

Bob

Montana_2912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 01:22 AM   #22
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
We've found with the 3670 we can be off the road into the 5er make soup and sandwich... wok the cat (I mean walk)... and do the dishes and be back on the road in 35 to 40 minutes... if we're trying to make some miles it's faster then most restaurants..... I'd hate to give up that easy access.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 04:45 AM   #23
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Linda

Just be sure and check out all the models in the approximate length you would like. Montana has a lot of great designs. Sit in the models and think how things are going to work. Like stopping on the road for lunch----can I get to everything? If I have to stop for the night and can't put my slides out--can I get around? Where will I put my big items in the kitchen and elsewhere? How will it work if you have guests, kids or grandkids spending some time with you? If all this checks out with a 3400----GO FOR IT AND ENJOY!!!
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 09:23 AM   #24
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
As I've said before we love our 2005 3400. We looked long and hard before buying and this is our 3rd unit. We are living in it now but did consider the slides in while traveling. Even when we had units where we could reach the stove, we never cooked when stopping for lunch and always use paper products. So we have this planned for the times when we will travel. I received a beautiful wine picnic bag for my birthday. Folds up so is now in storage in a cupboard. When we travel it will be filled with plates, cups, utensils, and napkins. Sandwiches will be in frig which we can reach. Or whatever else we want. The main thing for us when we travel is the restroom which is accessible. Plus we can pull out just one slide so if we need to we can pull out any slide we want. Eating lunch while traveling is such a small part of the whole experience that if you really like the 3400 then go for it, you won't be sorry. If you have to have soup, make it in the morning and put it in a thermos. If you cook, you'll have to turn the propane on unless you travel with it on. There is so much room in the 3400 that it is a really nice unit to live in. There is a lot of high storage and I am short but I have a small fold up stool and a tall husband. It was an interesting challenge to get things placed where they can be reached. And you will change them several times. Happy Montana.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #25
Montana_2663

M.O.C. #2663
This is a great site!! And thank you to all who responded regarding my questions on purchasing a 2005, 3400RL. We did go for the 3400RL and did our final walk through last Friday. The unit will be delivered to Long Beach, where we will begin our use of it. Have yet to get the "right" truck, but that will come. We love the floor plan, and with all the input from you Montana owners, we will love the use of it as much as you all do. We really appreciate all the information, and we were so glad we posted our question of purchase prior to the actual doing so. Made our anxiety in making the decision a whole lot less than otherwise. Will check in with you often. Happy trails to all of you too. ~Linda
Montana_2663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 11:11 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congratulations, Linda! I hope you really enjoy it. It's a beautiful model.

In case you haven't already seen the other threads, this next May is a get together of Montana owners from your part of the country. I think it's up around Mt. Shasta.

And next October is the 2nd International MOC rally. This one will be near Reno, NV. At the first one this past September we had 67 Montana/Mountaneer rigs there! We really had a great time.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 05:11 PM   #27
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Gail, that's exactly the way ours acted. Since the new arms were installed I started just snugging the deflappers instead of cranking them down tight we've not had the problem any more. So I'm convinced tightening them so tight caused the problem. You can remove these arms from the awning and put them on a picnic table and maybe straighten them a bit?
Hi Steve!

Apologize for the delay....I've been reclusing. I'm going to show Larry you're suggestion. Hopefully, we can fix this ourselves and not need new arms. Or just wait till the awnings are on sale again. Thanks, so much, for your input.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I think I would add a little to the point of making sure you can get to everything with the slide in. I would alter that just slightly to say make sure you can get to everything you need to get to or you can develop a serviceable workaround. For example, we can get to the bathroom and to the fridge but not the silverware drawer. Our workaround? Vicki just wraps some silverware in napkins and puts them in a cabinet or drawer that we can access with slides in. Works for us and there's no need to eliminate from our choices a floorplan we otherwise love. Getting to the fridge and bathroom are musts for us. Everything else we can work around rather easily. The point is to make sure that you can function as you desire when the slides are in.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #29
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
While travelling I make sure I leave the bread in the container on the counter under the kitchen window together with the butter (so it will be soft) again in a container. When we get to a Rest Area I make sandwiches. The first time out in the 3400 I did mess it up as I had forgotten I could not get to the cupboard beside the fridge but we just made do and I didn't make that mistake again. Otherwise as everyone says we can get to the washroom which is the most important, especially when travelling with a 3 year old which we often do. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 05:52 AM   #30
Montana_3368
Established Member

M.O.C. #3368
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Linda

Wondering if anyone has any "heads-up" alerts before we purchase a Montanna 3400? Are they as good as they seem to be? Would love any input.
Heads Up...depends on how you will be traveling and this advise is for all 5th wheels under consideration, the most important thing we have looked for is when closed up the island kitchen shuts you off from the refrigerater, consequently if you are stopping on the road for lunch it is near impossible to use the refrigerater!!
We have been fulltiming for three years now and are on our second Montana and this closed position has been equally important as the open floorplan!
Montana_3368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #31
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We put our settings so that the dining area/couch slide can be opened alone and open it just 12 inches or so. Then we can get to the fridge and sit on the couch to eat off the coffee table if we want to do so. We've been able to open this one slide everywhere we've parked without bothering anyone as far as we know.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:05 AM   #32
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
when we found ours my wife fell in love with it! that was it! we went to all other types to compare, but there was absolutely nothing out there that she liked as much. even setting money aside, we couldn't even find anything in the high end motorhomes that she liked as much. I even pushed for another motorhome as I loved the class A that we had previously.....but you know how that goes.....once you find something that you like....it's all over.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 04:19 AM   #33
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Since we have the 2955RL we can get to everything with the slides in, but I still keep a basket of plastic silverware and paper plates in the cabinet above the table for quick stops so there is no cleanup.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #34
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
We went to an rv show here in sacramento and while we were looking aroung at all the units my wife hollered that she had found her 5er and their was no need of looking any further. When I found her she was in a 2004 3685fl and so we put it on the burner for a while so we could shop and on th 8th of november 2004 which was our 46 wedding anniversary we purchased a 2005 3685fl and we love this unit and at the present we go somewhere every month. We have had a few problems with it but they have been small ones. November next year when I retire from the railroad we are going on the road full time and with this unit we don't have a problem with room. It is beautiful unit and it tows just great on the highway.

puzzie & muzzie pigpen
3500 duramax dually
3685fl
Montana_1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:48 AM   #35
Montana_3299
Established Member

M.O.C. #3299
Puzzie... your "shopping for RV" experience sounds exactly like ours. Once we set foot inside the door we loved it. Have thoroughly enjoyed it for 9 months (picked it up in August 2004) but now changes in job responsibilities indicate that it will be several years before we both have coinsiding times we can get away so, regretfully, we are going to sell this one and hopefully somewhere in the future the work load will change so that RVing will again be possible. We hope they'll still be making this model. ENJOY..... I envy you!
Montana_3299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #36
Montana_3334

M.O.C. #3334
Linda
We just put down our deposit last Saturday to purchase the 3400RL model. We did a LOT of comparisons and finally went toe to toe with JAYCO Designer series. But the 3400RL won out. The one thing that tends to bother me about Keystone is their one year warranty vs other MFG's two year. If they are as good as everyone says, then why doesn't their warranty reflect it?? Keystone exec's should be asking themselves this question.It is my only real concern with the purchase.
My wife LOVES the 3400RL layout.
Montana_3334 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:36 PM   #37
Montana_1631
Established Member

M.O.C. #1631
SE from north carolina sorry to hear that you have to sell but look at it this way you had 9 great months with the unit. My wife said she was not going to work pass the age of 60 and I guess she meant it as she has not worked for the last 3 years. I hope that you get to return to montana's again in the future. We bought ours on our 46 wedding anniversary on the 8th of November 2004 and we have been out in it every month since then and we just keep planning for every month ahead. In the month of august we are taking off and we are going to Nebraska for the wife's family then on to Iowa for my family and then down to Lousiania to see some friends and then over to Oaklahoma to see our daughters god parents we were stationed in Japan back in the middle 60's and then it is on to Las Vegas to see the rest of the wife's family and then we have to come home again and that is the bad part. Good luck on your future adventures.

Puzzie & Muzzie Pigpen
3500 duramax dually
2005 3685FL
Montana_1631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #38
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ft Army, you have made your point in several places. Thank you and goodby.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:32 AM   #39
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You are welcome to make your negative posts. It is a little tiresome to read the same thing over and over again. It sounds like you are trying to be vindictive. You made your point in three different posts, not just one. Maybe you should look up the definition of "hypocrite". You may choose to call me anything you wish. Not wishing to hear unnecessary redundancy hardly fits the definition. Name calling is a beyond the normal tenor of this forum, but take your shot.

I would make this suggestion. If either of us have additional comments to address to each other, why don't we put them into the form of a private post and spare our Forum friends.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:21 AM   #40
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Stiles,

FT Army is obviously one of two things

1.) Very frustrated with his unit and getting responses from whomever he talks to that are not to his liking

2.) a Troller.

IF, he is number 1, we all hope he can get some resolution, get past the angst and frustration and on with his life.

IF, he is number 2, he has accomplished his goal which was to get some MOC members all riled up!

If you look at his profile, there sure is not much there, which lead me to wonder if he was number 2.

FT Army, if you are number 1, you have my sincere hopes that you find a unit which will serve you well, and my apology for peggin you as a number 2.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote