Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #21
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
When we sold our house we stayed in our 3500rl for a few months in our daughters yard until an appartment was available at a 55+ community. My grandaughter went to school and told her teacher my grandma and grandpa are homeless and living in our back yard. Now that was funny.

jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #22
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We are very lucky. Our kids understand our lifestyle and hope they can follow in our footsteps (tire tracks?) some day.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Who cares.....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #24
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I too have experienced this type of judgement, however mine was more based upon my age. I bought my first Mountaineer when I was 21 yrs old, bought my next Montana at 22 and my 3rd Montana at 24. I just recently traded my 3400RL in for a new 5th wheel at the age of 33. I also became a full timer at the age of 33. For me, it is a lifestyle that I truly enjoy and it fits the means to a job that has me on the move every 3-5 years. With the housing market and economy where it is, it made more sense for me to bank the income and live more economically in my coach. Over the past 12 years of rv'ing, I have run into folks who make comments about my age, both good and bad. I've heard all about my living a lifestyle that is beyond my demographic, and trying to fit in where I dont belong (retirement age group). I let this get to me once back in 2006 and have decided that I am going to take Rich's advice...who cares. I am comfortable with my lifestyle and I know that I live this way not because I have to, but because I want to. Until then I am going to continue on this full timing rv'ing lifestyle as long as I enjoy it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #25
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

I too have experienced this type of judgement, however mine was more based upon my age. I bought my first Mountaineer when I was 21 yrs old, bought my next Montana at 22 and my 3rd Montana at 24. I just recently traded my 3400RL in for a new 5th wheel at the age of 33. I also became a full timer at the age of 33. For me, it is a lifestyle that I truly enjoy and it fits the means to a job that has me on the move every 3-5 years. With the housing market and economy where it is, it made more sense for me to bank the income and live more economically in my coach. Over the past 12 years of rv'ing, I have run into folks who make comments about my age, both good and bad. I've heard all about my living a lifestyle that is beyond my demographic, and trying to fit in where I dont belong (retirement age group). I let this get to me once back in 2006 and have decided that I am going to take Rich's advice...who cares. I am comfortable with my lifestyle and I know that I live this way not because I have to, but because I want to. Until then I am going to continue on this full timing rv'ing lifestyle as long as I enjoy it.
Right on! Well said.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:55 AM   #26
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Who cares.....
X2
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #27
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by richfaa

Who cares.....

kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:50 AM   #28
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I was explaining to someone the other day about our full-time lifestyle and he said it sounded like a nightmare to him. To each his own I guess.

CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:52 AM   #29
tyler_bustos
Established Member

M.O.C. #11981
I am 42 and my wife is 39. We are already planning on becoming "trailer trash" when my daughter goes off to college. We both have careers that can be put on the road. I may have learned my lesson earlier than most, but it's not all about the big house in the gated community (we did have that). It is more about the memories you build through a life time of adventure. We are just lucky, I guess, that we get to start our adventures earlier than others.
tyler_bustos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #30
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I try to cultivate the mystique, that is why I have 9 pink plastic flamingos. I try to share them with anybody who doesn't like them. Besides, the rig is too new to make us trailer trash
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #31
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
When you have wanderlust it is difficult to move your stick home from place to place.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 01:38 AM   #32
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We received the comments all over the map when we were planning to go full time. Most were words of encouragement from folks that didn't have the desire to become full timers or even RVer's for that matter. They were excited for us and our adventure. Our kids and some of our friends have indicated an interest in planning their vacations around our travel destinations. Our feeling is that our full timing will enhance the relationships with both family and friends. We could predict who was going to give us negative feedback before we even brought up the subject to them. There were only a couple. Their personalities would not permit them to open up to any other line of thought other than their own preconceived ideas and full timing did not compute in their mindset. Their discomfort with our lifestyle is theirs, not ours.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:05 AM   #33
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
We owned a house for 26 years. Raised 2 great girls in it. Now it's our turn to do what we want. We just remember we're doing what most people dream of doing. Our kids are behind us 100%. And that's all that matters. Period!
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 04:22 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To be honest we have never had anyone family or otherwise say that to us.If our previous 06 3400 or this 2013 3402 Big Sky looks like trailer trash then I guess we are.I will add to my "who cares"...."so what"
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #35
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Most of my friends and family WISH they could do this but they have kids etc... but like Rich says I don't give a Rats ass who thinks I'm trailer trash ,My wife has a funny T-shirt that says"TRAILER PARK QUEEN"
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #36
DoingitEarly
Established Member

M.O.C. #9278
Send a message via Yahoo to DoingitEarly
Just two weeks ago I had a long lost friend come to town and looked me up at my old office, the manager there who replaced me told him
I didn't work there anymore and lived in a "trailer" south of town. Well when the friend found us he told me that during the drive out to see my wife and I he said he kept thinking I was fired from my job and had to live in a "trailer" and was feeling sorry for us. After a three hour visit, he NOW wants to live full-time in a "trailer" too!
DoingitEarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #37
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We have a good friend who has planned for a long time to travel Route 66 in his Corvette. Last Sunday he visited us in the Big Sky for the first time. Now he is reconsidering whether Route 66 might be a bit better trip with a Montana rather than a Corvette.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #38
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have been here at Clark County Shooting Complex for 5 days. It is a classy joint. So far I have managed to plant 4 small flamingos in around the one tree on our site, as that is the only ground soft enough to push their wire legs into with a hammer drill. I am going for one of the big ones tonight. I have 3 large plastic ones left. One a night should get us tossed by Monday, or not If there aren't any comments then they might start to wander around the CG.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #39
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I think I'd think twice about taking a Monty on some sections of Route 66. I toured some of the Old Route 66 out in Arizona a few years ago (in a rental car) and there are some turns and switch backs that I wouldn't be able to make with our TV solo without backing up once or twice, so I don't see how you could make it with one of these monsters behind the TV.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #40
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

We have been here at Clark County Shooting Complex for 5 days. It is a classy joint. So far I have managed to plant 4 small flamingos in around the one tree on our site, as that is the only ground soft enough to push their wire legs into with a hammer drill. I am going for one of the big ones tonight. I have 3 large plastic ones left. One a night should get us tossed by Monday, or not If there aren't any comments then they might start to wander around the CG.
If I was an upset member I'd just look at those pink birds as targets you set out