Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
Bio Diesel

This subject has been mentioned in the past by others but here is a recent experience.

We just returned from a two week trip to and from Oregon to Colorado. I keep careful records on all of our trips to compare over the years, so I am sure of the facts.

We fueled up in Wyoming, Idaho and Oregon at a number of Truck Stops. At one Truck Stop in John Day, Oregon, and another in Medford, I noted that the pumps sticker stated that 10 to 20 percent Bio Diesel was the fuel. No other stops on our trip had Bio Diesel.

After fueling up at these stops I observed a noticable reduction in power while driving until our next fuel stops. I also noted a lower MPG than normal when driving with both tanks with Bio Diesel.

When I fueled up after driving with Bio Diesel in the tank, fueling with normal Diesel, power and MPG got back to normal each time.

I also noted that Bio Diesel cost $4.25/Gal, just the same as other Diesel.

Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:54 AM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I encountered this same notice on our recent 5000 miles trip. The first time was in Savannah, GA. I was so concerned that I did not fill up and went to another station even though it was a bit more expensive. The second [and last] time was at a major petroleum outlet and I did go ahead and add the fuel. I did not notice any difference, but then I was not looking for anything and had no records. These two time are the first and only times I have seen this notice [though I may have overlooked it at other times--I can't be certain.]
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:01 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I believe the only people out there that state they got good milage from Bio Diesel are the ones useing it, and believe they are because of the hype from the sellers. I dont think I will ever try it in my Ram even though it says I can use it.
Remember when the big deal was convert you car to propane in the early 70's same thing there less horse power, but I was paying 35 cents a gallon for it too and didnt care.
The real deal from our beloved, oil manufactures, and oil cartel have diesel selling higer than high octain gas, we can thank Ronny for his visions of deregulation, we will be paying for it all including Bio in the near future.
I guess if a person that uses Bio who can get it for less, and dont care about the power loss along with less milage, use it.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:07 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I would not expect a noticeable change with a small percentage of Bio Diesel added to the regular. Now if you move on up and run exclusively Bio Diesel I'd certainly expect to see a drop in mileage. But would not expect it to be too severe.

Like David and Shirley I did not notice any difference when using the low % Bio but then again I was not really looking for anything. Did not notice any loss of power. Did not notice any difference in mileage..... When fueling I was well within my normal range. But was not checking closely. One of these days I'll run a close watch.

Good luck, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Kinda Lazy this morning and really don't want to go and get the GM manual. But I think its says you can use Bio Diesel up to B-20. I have used Bio-Diesel and noticed no difference. Not saying there is not a difference. Just noticed gas is up 11 cents a gal. Diesel in Longmont Colorado was $3.69.9 thats the cheapest since we left Tennessee on June 10th.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Have never used the bio fuels, that I know of anyway, BUT I paid $3.43 a gal for diesel at Frys, of course I had a $.20 a gal discount. Not saying this is great, just saying........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:59 PM   #7
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
As most say, it is a lot of hype, and trying to get us less dependent on fossil fuels. I was a diesel mechanic at one time, so have studied this quite a bit. Bio diesel is OK, IF you have the fuel system that is compatable with it. Woe to those who try to run it in an older system, you will be looking at a lot of money. The "bio" in the diesel is an excellent cleaner/detergent, just like the "alcohol" is in gas. But, too much "bio" in the diesel, and the old system seals are not designed for it. Bye bye fuel pump, injectors, etc. A fellow I know started running bio diesel in his older Volkswagen. About 3 months, and suddenly fuel was leaking everywhere. $1400 later, he could run bio.....with his NEW bio compatable system. With a small amount of "bio" in the fuel, it shouldn't be a problem, and shouldn't impact fuel mileage much. The "bio" has a bit lower "cetane" rating (cetane rating being similar to gasoline's octane rating). The higher the cetane rating, the more BTU's (power) from the fuel. If you are a farmer in the midwest, making your own bio fuel, the benefits are obvious!!! The other drawback to bio diesel is it's lack of low temperature flow characteristics. A couple of years ago the loco transit agency tried using it, and it was fine, until we had a cold spell. Half the fleet wouldn't start. They had to leave the engines running all night to keep the fuel warm and flowing.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My last fill-up the pump had the Bio-Diesel sticker on it. Lot's of 18 wheelers at the pumps, and the ULSD sticker was on the pump. I have noticed a significant reduction in MPG on this leg of a 4500 mile so far trip. We'll see when we fill up again with non-bio next time. The lower MPG could be because of the Missouri hills.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I noticed quite a bit of diference in mpg and power when I was in south dakota while using it. I am trying to stay away from it now.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:40 AM   #10
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have been making Bio for about 5 years now. The problem with purchasing Bio is you do not know what the feedstock (base oil) is. Different oils have different BTU ratings. My experience has been than AG/Bean based oils have lower BTU ratings. (Less BTUs = Less Power = More Fuel needed) Most lower than Dyno Diesel. Bio made from a Animal Tallow/cooking grease tends to have higher BTUs. (Higher BTU = More Power = Less Fuel needed).

Last year I was given 100 gallons of Peanut Oil that was used by local group for Frying Turkeys for Thanksgiving. Good clean almost virgin oil. But I saw a decrease of 10% when burning that oil. When I use to get grease from a Waffle House that had lots of animal fat in it I saw a 10% increase in mileage but boy was it nasty stuff to work with.

So it is not hype but lack of information of what they are actually selling you. In most states any Bio consternation under B100, the Bio is considered a fuel additive and not actually a fuel. In most cases there are not any regulations or very little over site on additives vs actual fuels. Oil has to trade in the $100 range for Bio to be economically feasible to produce and still be price competitive with Dyno Diesel.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote