Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Day 2 of "Mission get Monty from Capone town'

OK so you did not see day 1. Of course not because I [Jim-cause Kathy would NEVER do that] forgot my MOC user ID-duh! So, even though we were on the road toward the windy city [where our dear 5ver is shivering in a storage lot] I had to place a call to our Folsom, CA neighbor Ken [who incidentally has a 2955] and ask him to check out the site and call me with my user ID -and he did-thank you. And by the way speaking of Ken, he gave us the best new Montana owner orientation I could ever imagine. I am betting that his tips and Monty knowledge saved me some embarrassment and $$ heartache. That's done now so here I am typing in a cheap hotel room 140 miles west of Cheyenne. I now know why I love CA weather. Brr' its 25F and I miss the 80's. Anyway we departed at 3:30 on Thur and logged about 340 miles before sacking in. Today we were able to put away another 600. We are hoping for duplicate of today tomorrow. The weather has been sunny and pristine. Our new D/A is enjoying 17.8 MPG at 75 MPH. The only prob is we do not have our home in tow [yet].
So since I did not mention a challenge -yet-here is one that cropped up today. Since I am going to be the laborer who installs the capture plate [for the Pullrite slider] on the pin box while sitting in the Chicago storage facility-it would have been nice to have not forgotten all the mounting hardware [bolts and taps and drill bits]. Yep, me the tool guy really pulled one this time. So, the next couple days will be hitting the machine shops....stay tuned.

Here's the schedule;
Chicago and tool time Sunday eveing or worst case- Monday morn.
And then [Sunday or Monday] with our Keystone jewel in tow it's off to Detroit.
About 6-7 days in the Motor City and then we're going to point the Chevy's hood toward Nashville [see friends], then continue south/southwest and following no special route-end up in TX for a couple days [more friends] and then back to the home in Folsom, CA [sooner or later].
I'm believing we ARE doing OUR part to use OUR fair share of fossil fuels this April!
I'm also thinking we will surely be getting a crash course in RV'ing during this maiden voyage!

Next update: hopefully tomorrow evening from Omaha.
Take care,
Jim n Kathy
P.S. we promise photos [soon]of the tailgater's we have been having in rest areas.

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 02:44 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You're not even towing and you are already having fun! Great!

If you are in the Houston area, give me a holler. I'm only 40 miles from there until some time early May.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Welcome to the Midwest and it's wonderful weather! You're not doing to bad for MPG with a new TV. I've got 18000+ on my 2007 now and averaging between 19-24 with it. Was told will see the best mileage at 25-30,000. We'll see!! I emailed you for when you get into or around Omaha. Hope to hear from you when you arrive!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #4
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Jim, not to throw any tools at you, but do you have a break controller for your truck (to control the electric breaks on the Montana)? If you do then you should be all set, if not you might consider getting one.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote