Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #1
horsefire

M.O.C. #10390
Keeping rodents out

Does anyone have a good solution for keeping mice out of the trailer when it's in storage?

horsefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #2
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Welcome to the MOC Forum. We have had good success by strewing Bounce dryer sheets throughout the rig, including the basement and in drawers and cupboards. Then when you take the rig out of storage and you are on the road, the sheets can be moistened and they take the bugs off the front cap real nice.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
We also use the bounce scented sheets with pretty good luck. this past winter we changed up and used pure peppermint, a couple drops onto a cotton ball and also used a product called fresh cab, we put about 4 of those throughout the trailer and used the peppermint in the storage areas,under the sink,in the closet,we had no visitors this past winter. I have to thank the MOC members who recommended the peppermint and fresh cab product,they worked well. You will find some past post on this subject.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
racerjoe beat me to it on the Freshcab and Jim beat me to it on the dryer sheets! I've been getting Freshcab at the local TSC(Tractor Supply Co) and also use the dryer sheets like Jim and racerjoe have said. I winter our Monte down on the Platte River bottomland and there are plenty of little critters down there but have had no problems with them over the past three years or so using the above. I also buy a box of mothballs or mothball crystals and spinkle them on the ground around any part of the Monte that touches the ground(wheels and front landing gear) and that also seems to help too. I toss several of the Freshcabs in the basement and front storage areas and several around inside the unit like under the sinks and pantry area. I scatter the dryer sheets throughout the Monte inside like in places that Jim said and also take a few and throw in the basement and even in the LP tank areas. I'm going to try the peppermint oil on the cotton balls this next winter and put some up in the ceiling by the vents and ductwork and maybe some in the floor heat ducts also. We'll see, IF I REMEMBER TO DO IT THAT IS!!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
The dryer sheets also work very well if you have an ant problem.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We wintered in Florida and we tried the peppermint oil and the bounce dryer sheets along with cayenne pepper, even the sonic noise plug ins ...no luck using any of these. So we went to glue traps and regular snap traps and stop them that way. They never got passed the storage area. We were in a park that had a whole lot of critters.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:05 AM   #7
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Trust me bounce sheets,moth balls and those electronic devices do not work!
You have to find location of entry
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
They worked for us but as I said I also scattered mothballs or crystals around the wheels and landing gears where they could crawl up on to get into the unit. No problems maybe it was also the FreshCab packets that kept them out but didn't use them until two years ago and just used the mothballs and dryer sheets before that. Haven't tried the electronic deals since the unit is not plugged in down where I store it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:43 PM   #9
bjj5633
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9546
I agree with the keep them out idea. all kinds of entry points under the rig. several holes in the propane tank areas,big holes under the slide outs. holes around the rear stableizers. good luck.
bjj5633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:40 PM   #10
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We had mouse problems while in storage. Two months after putting our new leather recliners in the critters got in and ate holes in the chairs!! The storage area manager put in some kind of mouse deterrent (DH says they were baited poison traps) and we put in snap traps with peanut butter. Whatever they did worked. We are now traveling with 2 kitties and I think that will be deterrent enough!! Hope you solve your problem.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 AM   #11
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
It sounds like the mice around the country all have differing tastes. We have tried the dryer sheets and didn't get good results so we went for the peppermint oil from the health food store. Since we made that move we have not had mice in the trailer so I wopuld have to say it has worked. Over the winter months we refresh the cotton balls with a few drops of the oil several times.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote