Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #1
Rockyman

M.O.C. #9705
Black tank pressure

We have a problem with our black tank pressuring up. When I flush the toilet air pressure bubbles/forces the water/waste up, sometimes splashing onto the seat. I emptied the tank today and backwashed it, only to have it pressure up again tonight.

Does anyone have any fixes?

Our unit is 2009 Montana Mountaineer 347THT.

Joe

Rockyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My guess is your black tank vent which goes to the roof is plugged.
Not sure how to unplug it. Maybe water down that vent pipe. I would think it is a straight pipe so a long rod if the water does not work. Again thinking out loud. Others should have some ideas.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rockyman,
I think John is probably correct. Your vent pipe may be plugged. Another problem might be that you have a blockage in the black tank drain. When you drained the tank did it seem "normal"? For the tank to be basically empty and still burp up onto the toilet seems really strange. Even with a plugged vent pipe it just seems really weird. What you describe is almost that your black tank is almost full!

Do you have washer/dryer? If so does it drain into your black tank?

Please let us know how your problem gets resolved.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:39 AM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I agree with John that the first place to look is your vent. Years ago, I had a friend of mine with the same problem in his stick house. It was a blocked vent. One thing that you could try is to have the DW open the toilet valve (shut off the water so the toilet won't run) while you drain and see if the problem goes away. If it does, it's the vent.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:19 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl

My guess is your black tank vent which goes to the roof is plugged.
Not sure how to unplug it. Maybe water down that vent pipe. I would think it is a straight pipe so a long rod if the water does not work. Again thinking out loud. Others should have some ideas.
Good luck and let us know what you find out.
Had that problem once. Unplugged the vent with a really heavy fishing weight on a string dropped down from the roof.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If you are still up north, you may have snow around the vent where it can't breathe. Down here we sometimes get yellowjackets (paper wasps), mud daubers, and little critters making nests just about everywhere they can get into.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I agree about the vent possibly being plugged. But I know for fact this also can happen when you're building a pyramid at the bottom of the drop pipe. It's close to plugging the downpipe from your toilet, in other words. This can happen if you are using toilet paper that does not disintegrate. Have you tried the "shake test" with your paper? If not, put one sheet of paper in a jar of water, shake a few seconds. It should disintegrate. It should be very obvious. After maybe five seconds of shaking ours disintegrates so much I can pour it down the sink drain and nothing catches on the drain strainer.

If you do find you have the pyramid problem, your rv dealer will have tissue digester. Use it exactly as directed on the bottle. I tried putting ice in the tank and driving for over 70 miles on wavy rough roads. I tried just about everything else. The tissue digester helped a lot. But what worked best was putting a high pressure hose nozzle down the toilet, covering it all with towels to avoid me getting splattered, then turning the water on high pressure. That freed a pathway. Then I used the tissue digester to get rid of the rest.

Let's hope yours is just a vent pipe obstruction. I know mud daubers / wasps will sometimes build a nest in there as will some small birds.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
arrrggh!! the dreaded WHITE PYRAMID !!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 04:29 AM   #9
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I know when I replaced the Black Tank Vent Cap on my roof with an upgrade windvane style, I could see an obstruction in the pipe, it looked like a crescent moon shaped piece of Luann about a foot down..part of the ceiling? It did not completely obstruct the pipe so I didn't pursue trying to remove it...
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
underpar

M.O.C. #10082

I have not had this problem so I am just guessing. Is it possible that the vent tube has come loose and droped down into the tank??
underpar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:27 AM   #11
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
[quote]Originally posted by sreigle

I agree about the vent possibly being plugged. But I know for fact this also can happen when you're building a pyramid at the bottom of the drop pipe. It's close to plugging the downpipe from your toilet, in other words. This can happen if you are using toilet paper that does not disintegrate. Have you tried the "shake test" with your paper? If not, put one sheet of paper in a jar of water, shake a few seconds. It should disintegrate. It should be very obvious. After maybe five seconds of shaking ours disintegrates so much I can pour it down the sink drain and nothing catches on the drain strainer.

Steve, what brand toliet paper do you use? I need to get some.

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Angel Soft. We use the Double Roll. We tried the MegaRoll but to me that was too hard on my hiney. I like the Double Roll. It's 2 ply and comfortable . There are other brands that work well, also.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Shake test is a must. We wil use anything that is labeled "septic tank safe" and..a lot of water.We do prefer Angle soft it seem to disintegrate faster in the shake test.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'd recommend the shake test even when the package says septic tank safe. The reason I say that is our prior experience with Quilted Northern. It was labeled as septic safe and passed the shake test when we started using it. After a couple of years we finally had the problem that started this thread, burping back through the toilet even after dumping. We used our high pressure water nozzle to break it loose, then I did another shake test. The paper failed the test even though its packaging still said septic safe. I oopened another pack of rolls and found they also failed. That's when we switched. Maybe we got a series of anomalies in paper or maybe they changed something in their tissue production process. I have no idea why it changed. So I recommend highly the shake test.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Thanks Steve, it probably is a good idea to do the shake test...we are using the soft from scotts and it passed the shake test.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 02:12 PM   #16
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Check out the Walmart RV section near the Automotive department. We have used the 2ply "TST brand RV and Marine" paper. It has worked for us for two different rigs and for about 2 years each. I haven't done the "shake test" but felt that this type would do the trick.
Best wishes, hope you can get this one out of your way and on to fun time again.
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote