Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Roof Problem

I was on the roof of My 2014 3582RL and noticed that there was nails coming up on both sides of my roof. I also noticed the panel below the rubber roof was loose, you could push up and down and it moved. Just curious if anybody has had a similar problem and how do they repair this? It looks like they are going to have to pull up the rubber roof to repair the panel below the rubber roof?? Are the rubber roofs glued down? It looks like if I continue to travel in the RV that the nails might protrude through the roof. Do they really use nails or do they use screws to hold the panel down? Seems like a bad way to do the roof.

Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 01:54 AM   #2
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
It is a bad way to do a roof, and shame on Keystone for continuing to do them this way. Our roof now has approximately 12 staples pushing up. I am closely monitoring them. I first brought this up to Keystone Customer Service several months ago. Last month our selling dealer submitted a claim for repair that was flat out denied by Keystone. When I followed up with Keystone they said if the staples ever pushed through the roof membrane then they would reconsider my claim.

Another MOC member (OZZ) has made some suggestions on how to repair the staple issue which I will probably do myself. As far as a whole panel of sheeting starting to come up, that could be a problem.

Even though Keystone has denied my claim right now, anyone else with these types of roofing issues should not hesitate to at least contact them. They told me that they warranty the roofs longer than the initial 1-year (worthless) factory warranty.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:00 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim-- Since your unit is a 2014, take it back to the dealer and show it to them. They use staples to put the roof underlayment down and I had some of the staples coming up so while at the Fall Rally I showed it to one of he service techs that came around for a session we had and they scheduled our unit into the Service Center. They took the rubber roofing up in the area that was having a problem(yes the roof is glued down by the way) pulled the staples that were coming up and replaced them with screws then re-glued the roof down. Contact Keystone Customer Service and file an official report on the popping staples and other problem. You will then have an official file and the dealer can then file for the repair. DON'T just take it to the dealer without calling Customer Service or they may just flake it off. Let us know what you come up!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:43 AM   #4
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Jim, please let me know what happens with this roof staple issue. If you read my posts (just updated today) in "Repairs & Service" section you will see I am having some issues with the exact same problem.

Rondo, now I really wish we could have made the fall rally! It is amazing to me that they (Keystone) would take care of this staple problem so quickly with one customer and then treat others so badly. Once I prove to them that they have been notified of my staple issue on two prior occasions, I would like to be able to provide them with your information in an effort for them to explain to me why they would be willing to fix your staples and not mine. If you do not feel comfortable sending me a PM with your name, date of repair, and VIN of your unit then I will understand. But without that information they probably will just keep quoting their "staple repair" policy and continue to blow me off.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM   #5
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
I contacted the dealer today and talked to the Service Department and said that she was not aware of this problem. I was curious how they would repair and she did ask the technician and he said they used nails to put the roof down and probably meant staples. I am really surprised that they use staples and not stainless screws and then have something put over the screws before they put down the rubber roof. My fear is they are going to repair the spot that is coming up and I will have more problems with another section of the roof after the basic warranty runs out. Hopefully everything go well with the repair in April. I will contact Keystone and see if they can open a case. Does anyone know if the 12 year warranty on the roof covers underlayment problems or is it just the roof material?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #6
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
Climbed up on the roof of our new line Big Sky this afternoon. Low and behold! Staples coming up. I'm shocked . . . not. I'll just add it to the growing list.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Welcome to the "new". Keystone customer service.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
I climbed up on my roof to do a better inspection. I thought I just had a problem on the right rear about 3 feet but I found that there are staples coming up on both sides. The underlayment is loose from the front to the rear. It appears that the entire roof will need to be replaced and then have the underlayment repaired properly with screws. I see that was the way they repaired Rondo's roof.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Joe-- Our unit was not in for just the roof problem. When they checked the unit on the 15 minute Tech time at the Rally, I had a list of items to be checked. They decided to bring out unit in and it was estimated that it would take about 40 hours of work to take care of the items on the list. While in there, they found several other items and fixed those also. When they went to check the roof and the staple problem, as I stated earlier, they cut the estimate down to around 20 hours because they did not have to replace the total roof. They found no evidence of damage so everything is good now. IF something should happen later down the line, it is documented and they should take care of it because of previous documentation! I've found talking to them and not doing any threatening or bad talk to them works a whole lot better than jumping down some ones throat because YOU feel it is a real problem and YOU need it taken care of IMMEDIATELY! As they say " A little sugar is much better than vinegar!"
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Thanks Rondo! I agree with your advice. I will definitely not get upset. I just want it fixed correctly so I don't have a problem later and if I do have a problem later that they take care of it. It is sad for the money you spend on your coach that this would happen. I travel with 2 buddies and they both have Montana's one is a 2010 and the other is 2012 and I inspected their roof and they have no problem. It is sad that the 2014 Montana's are having this problem. You would think that Keystone would want to get this problem corrected even if the coach was out of warranty.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:02 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will have to send Helen up on the roof to check out the staple issue. We do have a few bubbles. good ole old world craftsmanship.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:08 AM   #12
MRSXBADHABITZ1
Established Member

M.O.C. #16027
I contacted the rep from montana that was assigned to email me while I was shopping. He's been a great asset to answer pre purchase questions. I've asked him to check into this, as it seems to be a production line issue, and I'd love them to fix it before producing my unit? If others have Tia issue, please list your model numbers?
MRSXBADHABITZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:59 AM   #13
MRSXBADHABITZ1
Established Member

M.O.C. #16027
Thanks Laurie. I will forward this email on to the appropriate people here. I can almost promise though that if they have been seeing this issue a lot the problems have been corrected because we have been building 2015 now for over 10 months and I checked to see if they have heard these issues on our 15's and no one said they did. Thanks again.

Jason Clark
Keystone RV Company
Shoppers Konnection Division
Phone: (574) 535-1437
Email: jasonclark@footsteps.net
MRSXBADHABITZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The reason Keystone does not hear of our problems is because we report them on this forum and not to Keystone.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:41 PM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

The reason Keystone does not hear of our problems is because we report them on this forum and not to Keystone.
Or they ignore them because the sales figures do not support changing the current mode of doing business! Profits rule and complaints can easily be cast by the wayside! A few complaints compared to thousands of sales tend to be shoved aside. If you have a fifth wheel, be prepared to take matters into your own hands for the majority of the issues that arise. Been there, done that!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:59 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bingo is correct on taking matters into your own hands. However we have heard the "we never heard of that problem" many times from Keystone. When I say ..it is all over the MOC forum the answer is .. we do not read the MOC forum. I for one report every problem large and small to Keystone and insist in go on my record under my VIN.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:53 AM   #17
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Jim-- Since your unit is a 2014, take it back to the dealer and show it to them. They use staples to put the roof underlayment down and I had some of the staples coming up so while at the Fall Rally I showed it to one of he service techs that came around for a session we had and they scheduled our unit into the Service Center. They took the rubber roofing up in the area that was having a problem(yes the roof is glued down by the way) pulled the staples that were coming up and replaced them with screws then re-glued the roof down. Contact Keystone Customer Service and file an official report on the popping staples and other problem. You will then have an official file and the dealer can then file for the repair. DON'T just take it to the dealer without calling Customer Service or they may just flake it off. Let us know what you come up!
RONDO, never heard from you so maybe you didn't ever read the posts after yours. I sent another e-mail to Keystone Customer Service (Jamie Salazar) telling them that photos and further documentation was on the way from myself and dealer reference staple issue. I also provided your name and information and asked them for an explanation of how they could so readily repair your staple issue and then refuse others. Hope you didn't mind but I felt it was important to get some type of answer from Keystone of why they refuse to honor their factory warranty for some of their customers.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 AM   #18
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:

Joe-- Our unit was not in for just the roof problem. When they checked the unit on the 15 minute Tech time at the Rally, I had a list of items to be checked. They decided to bring out unit in and it was estimated that it would take about 40 hours of work to take care of the items on the list. While in there, they found several other items and fixed those also. When they went to check the roof and the staple problem, as I stated earlier, they cut the estimate down to around 20 hours because they did not have to replace the total roof. They found no evidence of damage so everything is good now. IF something should happen later down the line, it is documented and they should take care of it because of previous documentation! I've found talking to them and not doing any threatening or bad talk to them works a whole lot better than jumping down some ones throat because YOU feel it is a real problem and YOU need it taken care of IMMEDIATELY! As they say " A little sugar is much better than vinegar!"
I have never "jumped down anyone's throat" at Keystone's Customer Service, and I have never demanded that my roof or any of the other issues be taken care of "immediately". When I called to check on the status of the roof warranty claim and the Keystone Customer Service idiot told me that the staples are not a problem because the weather makes them go up and down, I did not go off on him. When he assured me that even if they continued to stick up, 9 out of 10 times they would never actually penetrate through the roof material, I just listened. Even when he assured me that Keystone would be there for me in the future if the roof did start leaking, I never objected or raised my voice.

When I realized that this Service Rep failed to document anything about my roof, plus my wonderful dealer failed to even submit a warranty claim in the first place, how could I possibly continue to sugar coat. I did not contact Keystone by phone again, but I did send an e-mail to follow up with them letting them know how dissatisfied I was with this roof issue. There was no bad language in the e-mail, there was no ranting/raving in the e-mail. I simply pointed out to them that they had failed to provide the workmanship they should have, and now they were failing to honor their factory defective workmanship warranty.

I may refer to Keystone Service Reps as "idiots" on this forum. I truly believe some are, at least the one I talked to earlier this month was. But I know better than to start sending stupid threatening e-mails to a company and think I can get anything done that way. I can assure you that any of my future correspondence with Keystone, Trailer Life Magazine, or anyone else that could help in making them honor their factory warranty, will be professionally written and cordial.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:05 PM   #19
DebbieM
Established Member

M.O.C. #14203
We are having this same issue right now! Ours is in for repairs and the dealership thought the roof sheathing and membrane should be replaced and sent pictures of the boards warping, bowing, staples sticking up, etc. Keystone denied our claim today. We are not happy! Our 1 yr. warranty is up in April on our 2013 3582RL. We have copies of the pictures and will ask for a copy of our service repair report. We are staying in a motel as we are fulltimers. Keystone said this is normal and if we run the A/C for 7 hrs straight, the staples will go back down. Rediculous!

--Debbie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

Quote:

I have never "jumped down anyone's throat" at Keystone's Customer Service, and I have never demanded that my roof or any of the other issues be taken care of "immediately". When I called to check on the status of the roof warranty claim and the Keystone Customer Service idiot told me that the staples are not a problem because the weather makes them go up and down, I did not go off on him. When he assured me that even if they continued to stick up, 9 out of 10 times they would never actually penetrate through the roof material, I just listened. Even when he assured me that Keystone would be there for me in the future if the roof did start leaking, I never objected or raised my voice.

When I realized that this Service Rep failed to document anything about my roof, plus my wonderful dealer failed to even submit a warranty claim in the first place, how could I possibly continue to sugar coat. I did not contact Keystone by phone again, but I did send an e-mail to follow up with them letting them know how dissatisfied I was with this roof issue. There was no bad language in the e-mail, there was no ranting/raving in the e-mail. I simply pointed out to them that they had failed to provide the workmanship they should have, and now they were failing to honor their factory defective workmanship warranty.

I may refer to Keystone Service Reps as "idiots" on this forum. I truly believe some are, at least the one I talked to earlier this month was. But I know better than to start sending stupid threatening e-mails to a company and think I can get anything done that way. I can assure you that any of my future correspondence with Keystone, Trailer Life Magazine, or anyone else that could help in making them honor their factory warranty, will be professionally written and cordial.
DebbieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 04:31 PM   #20
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DebbieM

We are having this same issue right now! Ours is in for repairs and the dealership thought the roof sheathing and membrane should be replaced and sent pictures of the boards warping, bowing, staples sticking up, etc. Keystone denied our claim today. We are not happy! Our 1 yr. warranty is up in April on our 2013 3582RL. We have copies of the pictures and will ask for a copy of our service repair report. We are staying in a motel as we are fulltimers. Keystone said this is normal and if we run the A/C for 7 hrs straight, the staples will go back down. Rediculous!

--Debbie
Finally the monsoons stopped and I was able to get up on the roof of my 2012 today only to find the material that creates the rounded transition between the roof and side (metal or ?) has pushed the roofing material up and is loose for at least 2 ft on one side, somewhat less on the other, this is near the rear of the RV, even with and rearward of the AC. There is no sign of staples sticking up and I can feel no loose staples but the transition is loose.

Perhaps in an attempt to solve the problem of staples protruding in 2012 was to simply not use them, who knows. Guess I will run the AC for 7 days and see what happens...NOT...Does this solution apply regardless of whether you are in Arizona or the rainy Pacific Northwest. What a crock of crap.

I will be away for several days so I will be unable to check the roof further, which will give me time to think about how I will address this issue. I do have extended coverage but do not expect them to pay for an obvious defect created by Keystone alone.

[quote}
Part of an original post by Rondo

I've found talking to them and not doing any threatening or bad talk to them works a whole lot better than jumping down some ones throat because YOU feel it is a real problem and YOU need it taken care of IMMEDIATELY! As they say " A little sugar is much better than vinegar!"

Rondo, please do not assume or suggest that those who have not met with stellar reception by Keystone's "customer service" representatives that those folks were not courteous and patient. I never said a bad word in either my emails or personally, nor suggested the work had to be done immediately, I was professional with everyone I spoke to.
Now having said that if I was to be told that if I ran my AC for 7 days straight that staples would miraculously go back to where they should be I would like the roof, come unglued.

Attempts were made by my selling dealer to treat me like a mushroom, feed me nothing but S*(T and keep me in the dark, why is it Keystone and a good majority of their dealers assume we are all retards. Will I call them on that kind of feedback, you bet your bottom dollar I will and have done so, only to have a very embarrassed service manager or worker have to do a lot of back peddling.

I hope that those with this problem continue to inform the rest of us on their progress and resolution, it is beneficial to all of us, whether you have the problem currently or not.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote