Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #41
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
On a 2011 model there should not be an in-line fuse unless someone added it. If you look on the back wall of the battery compartment, you should see either one or two auto-reset breakers that I believe would be rated at 50 amps on your model. The easiest way to find it is to follow the battery lead from the + side of your battery and it will go directly to this breaker. You will have to unhook it and remove it to see it's rating as it is usually printed on the underneath. When you hook it back up, do not overtighten it (Hmmm, wonder how I know that)? If it is a 50 amp breaker, the solution may be to lube the bottom of the troublesome slide with a good quality dry lube.
Bingo

bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #42
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I, fortunately, have had no problems with our slides or the hydraulic system. Did the noise fix with a quart of CAT stiction additive. On lubing the slides, just for a point of education for later on, how do you lube the slide for the bedroom? On our 2012 3402RL, the mechanism is totally enclosed, nothing exposed like the other three slides. Thank You Bingo for the education on the electrical problem you had, better than any book, and much better than experiencing it first hand
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:19 PM   #43
JohnG3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1972
Irlpguy, I'm still here, just travelling and busy for the past week or so. As to some of the replies, I just consider the source and figure if they think the topic has run it's course, they won't come back and the rest of us can continue with a civil conversation. I appreciate and learn from all the input from those who want to participate with positive input.

To answer the shore power question, the shore power is the first thing I do when we park. The trailer is plugged into a 15 amp circuit when stored. The slides worked fine for the first year or so. I replaced the battery last year and it worked fine for a couple trips and acted up again. I went over the connections and tightened all of them. Slides go out OK, most of the stopping is on the return. Still haven't picked up the American made breakers.

Thanks all for the positive input.
JohnG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #44
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
JohnG3 If you are planning on replacing the circuit breakers, might I suggest you purchase the manual reset type, that way you will know if the current draw is exceeding the capacity of the breaker.

You also said "battery" was replaced, I assume you may then only have one battery. If that is the case even a new batteries voltage may drop sufficient during the process of putting the slides in or out to cause a higher current draw. I would use two batteries for sure.

It is too bad we cannot have a gauge at each hydraulic ram to measure the pressure, when the pressure at one of the smaller slides exceeds that required to move any other slide, the other slide will move a bit. Unless there is a major problem with a slide I would not worry about the small changes in the way they go in or out. There are points on the slide mechanisms that benefit from being lubricated with a dry lube, I would check those area's just to eliminate any possible binding there.

There have been some good points made in previous posts here, it is worth reading them again. Keep us up to date in what you find.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 02:42 AM   #45
Dixiedawg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9927
Thanks Bingo for the reply. Even a novice like myself should be able to find the breaker following your directions. And I will buy some dry lube for the bedroom slide and hope that stops the stutter. Something else to do when we take it out of storage next month and prep it for our annual trip south. Wait, this is South Dakota maybe I should do the work while it is in the heated storage area I rent. It was 6 degrees the other morning when I got up.
Dixiedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 04:28 AM   #46
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
DixieDawg here is a picture of the underside of the bed frame in my bedroom slide.
The slide moves in and out on the plastic covering on the outside floor of the slide rubbing against the carpet on the raised part of the floor, note left side of the picture. If you have the hydraulic slide then I would suspect yours will be the same as this one and have the two sets of tubing that slide one inside the other, one is not visible in the bottom of the picture but is there. You can see the rusted condition of these and that was brand new. unless you remove the mattress and under matterss storage lids you cannot access these parts so you could not lubricate them. I suspect your stuttering is minor binding on those tubes going in and out.

By the way I have these pictures because after the dealer did the prescribed field repair for frame flex my bedroom slide one day went out minus the bed and frame. I repaired it myself so that it was done correctly and would not happen again.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:47 PM   #47
JohnG3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1972
Bought two Cole Hersee automatic breakers a while back. Finally had the time to install them today. Slides work like new now. So the lesson is, once the CB's open once, they will open more frequently until you change them again.
JohnG3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #48
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Good to hear you have solved the problem JohnG3, thanks for posting and keeping us up to date on the goings on.

I hope you have no further problems, if you do you will know where to look first off.

Old 01-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #49
rancherok
Established Member

M.O.C. #14538
would any of you have a picture of where you change a 40 amp breaker with a 50 amp breaker for the slide out. or maybe 80 amp breakers but I think with 2 40s you need a copper jumper. I have a 2013 Montana 3400rk. p.s I am still trying to navigate through this forum so this may not be the right place for this.
thank you
Leon
rancherok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:43 PM   #50
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is a photo of our rig's hydraulic section. The breakers are the two little things in the lower left corner of the photo that have red plastic insulators covering the threaded studs. In this unit, the left one that has the black cable looping up and to the right is the one feeding the hydraulic pump motor. I had the problem discussed and purchased an 80 AMP HI-AMP BUSSMANN BUSS CIRCUIT BREAKER 184080F MANUAL RESET from an Ebay vendor. Cost was a little less than $35. I replaced the auto reset breaker with the new 80 Amp breaker and have no stopping of the hydraulics, which did happen much more in cold weather.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:23 AM   #51
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Didn't read the total thread but on our previous Monte we had the same problem. Read all I could here on the Forum and went to an auto parts store and purchased the higher amp manual reset breaker and installed it. Had no problem from that point on! Have not had the problem on the 2013 unit yet but if I do I'll do the same thing again.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:20 AM   #52
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I originally had two 50 amp breakers. After the one for the slides failed, I replaced it with another 50 amp. After a year it started failing also. So based on info here, I replaced that breaker with two 40 amp breakers in parallel. I bought two very short bus bars at Lowe's and some heat shrink tubing. The picture below shows the result. No problems since.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:34 AM   #53
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
For those who replaced the breakers, did you hook up the new breaker to the other breaker as in the original setup?

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:33 PM   #54
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I hooked up the new breaker just like the smaller one was connected. The circuit from the batteries does not go through one to the other, but the hot leg connects in and out on the first breaker battery side, then to the second breaker on it's battery side, so electrically, the two breakers are separate from each other.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:03 PM   #55
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

I hooked up the new breaker just like the smaller one was connected. The circuit from the batteries does not go through one to the other, but the hot leg connects in and out on the first breaker battery side, then to the second breaker on it's battery side, so electrically, the two breakers are separate from each other.
Yes they are, the first breaker from the battery supplies the power to the slides and level up if you have it, this power is not affected by the battery disconnect switch but the second one is. I think they are all wired this way so that even with the battery disconnect switch off you can still operate the slides and level up. The protected side goes directly to the pump[motor solonoid. The power side jumps to the second breker

You will see from the second switch that the power goes from the protected side to the cable leading to the battery disconnect, then on to the main power panel.

If you are replacing the breaker because of hydraulic problems with a larger one, or intend to put in two breakers in parallel, then the one to change is the first one from the battery. Wire it as it is currently.

Old 01-09-2015, 03:20 AM   #56
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Thanks. That clears things up for me about the way the breakers are hooked up.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:14 AM   #57
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote