Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
washer/dryer

We have a o6 3670 with the washer/dryer closet at entrance door. Has anyone installed a unit here and what kind was it? Thanks for help.

pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #2
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
You have the room for a stacking set but if you want you could go for the Splendide combination washer dryer unit and then you could put shelves or a closet bar on top of it. You will get different opinions on this but we have the Spendide 2000S in our 2955RL and we love it. It does small loads but it is so quiet you hardly know it's running and it does everything automatically.
We just do at least one load a day when we have hookups. Six weeks on the road and no wasted time in laundromats. We will never own another RV without a washer-dryer. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Ditto to what Don & Donna said. The only thing different for us is that we have the Splendid 2100. We live in our Rig, and it is so nice not to have to go to the Laundy all the time. We would recommend getting a combination washer/dryer.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:09 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We too have the combination and love it. We attached metal baskets to the shelves above so we can store all kinds of things and they travel safely. We also left the rod that was above the shelves there and use it to hang things while emptying the dryer. We just returned from a six week trip and didn't waste time in any laundermat!
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:59 AM   #5
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
We have the Majestic stackables. They are great because you can dry while you are doing a load. Have never had a problem with them and they really fit nice to.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
This thread has gotten the DW's attention. We have a 3400RL on order. Does anybody know the dimensions of the w/d closet? Since nobody has a regular house stackable (which are cheaper), I'd assume it will not fit??
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
You have to buy the apartment size if you are going with the stackable. The Splindide combo fits with maybe a inch or two on either side. We had to take the door off to get it in but was not a problem.
Happy trails..............................
Old 07-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathi

We have the Majestic stackables. They are great because you can dry while you are doing a load. Have never had a problem with them and they really fit nice to.
Thanks for reply. Have a question on your units. Can you run both washer and dryer off of same outlet or did you run a seperate outlet so beaker would not trip?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:28 PM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Pud 2,

Our unit's pre-plumbed and pre-wired for a washer & dryer. (I just installed a 5 C.Ft. freezer.)

There are two 110V outlets, (don't go getting a 220V dryer.) One's apparently for the washer, and the other's probably meant for the dryer, (if you buy the pair,) because they're on separate circuit breakers.

And when you try your first load, do make sure the black tank isn't where the drain is plumbed to! If it is, I suggest you leave the tank drain open.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:02 PM   #10
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
[quote]Originally posted by Gyro

Pud 2,

Our unit's pre-plumbed and pre-wired for a washer & dryer. (I just installed a 5 C.Ft. freezer.)

There are two 110V outlets, (don't go getting a 220V dryer.) One's apparently for the washer, and the other's probably meant for the dryer, (if you buy the pair,) because they're on separate circuit breakers.

And when you try your first load, do make sure the black tank isn't where the drain is plumbed to! If it is, I suggest you leave the tank drain open.

Steve

Thanks i don't remember if there are 2 seperate outlets one for washer and other for dryer. And i did notice the drain is in the black tank WHY IN THE WORLD THEY WOULD DO THAT I DON'T KNOW. Seems that is going to make us use a lot of tank chemical.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
pud2, I run both of them all the time. I haven't had anything blow yet. Even had the A/C going at the same time. Mine was pre plumbed also so I am assuming that they are both plugged into the same receptacle because there was only one in there.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:03 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Our 3400 has two receptacles. Since we have the combo only use one. We plugged a strip into the other and fed it down into the basement so we have AC available in the basement to run tools, etc.
Happy trails...............................
Old 07-04-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pud2
Thanks i don't remember if there are 2 seperate outlets one for washer and other for dryer. And i did notice the drain is in the black tank WHY IN THE WORLD THEY WOULD DO THAT I DON'T KNOW. Seems that is going to make us use a lot of tank chemical.
Pud2,

Well, it sounds like maybe my 3475 is different than some others. (I can't recall how the 3380 was wired.)

Our W/D closet has two receptacle plates, each next to the other. Each has only one receptacle. And there are two breakers in the AC Power panel...I'm guessing one for each.

Even our dealer's parts man was chortling over knowing that some of the rigs had been plumbed to drain into the black tank. I didn't probe, but I'm guessing he's heard some nightmare stories from the service department, or customers over that goof up.

I think the added waste of going through the extra chemicals would play a distant second to finding out that SOMEONE put a load in before checking to be sure the black tank was drained, and the "stuff" was now oozing out of the toilet, the washer drain hole, or through some possibly looser joints in the basement.

It's truly an evil idea on someone's mind to do that to innocent campers!

Steve
Old 07-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'm glad they changed it now... With my brain, that "Black Tank W/D Hookup" would have been an accident waiting to happen...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 03:31 PM   #15
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
I am thinking about replumbing and running it straight out to the main line after dump valves. It shouldn't have taken a collage degree to figure that out and i don't have one.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:42 PM   #16
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Great idea, Pud2!

On another, washer/dryer-related note, I’m curious.

I’ve heard about all the folks with washers, dryers, washer/dryers, fridges, and freezers in their W/D closets.

I have yet to see one mention how they managed to secure said appliances in those closets.

I just installed a 5 C.F. freezer in ours. It has two flat metal pads in the back for “feet.” So, naturally, I used heavy-duty Velcro pads to make sure it won’t be shuffling around while we drive.

I’m still trying to think of an innocuous way to ge it a bit of support near the front. I’m considering a piece of wood across the top, secured to either side of the closet with screws, and maybe another bit of Velcro to hold it to the top of the freezer.

I’ve already seen how easy it’ll be to put a strip of wood along the left-hand side of the door jam, so I can put a small sliding brass bolt to hold the door closed after I remove the top left sliding door thingy that is on that part of the doors that I’ve used the center bolt to make into a “one-piece” door. (Couldn’t open the freezer’s door with he original sliding doors still functioning.)

Anyone wish to share their method of securing the appliance?

Steve
Old 07-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Steve, we have the combo w/d and have had no problem with it moving while traveling. Of course on the 3400 it is almost over the wheels so should be in the least movement portion of the Monty. It is pretty heavy (I think around 160 lb.) so it is not going to walk off. We find that things travel very well in the Monty. We don't have the table screwed down or any of the chairs.
Happy trails........................
Old 07-04-2006, 04:12 PM   #18
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
When our Dealer installed our Splendide 2100 in our 3400RL they made a sub floor in the closet and covered it with carpet. Nothing moves. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #19
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Thank you, folks!

Sounds like my use of that Velcro will be all I need. Even if it might have been overkill.

I just didn't want anything walking around while we were on the prowl.

My next question will likely be whether to stack the freezer on top of a Splendide, or put a Splendide on top of the freezer. I do our laundry. And it does get old. Plus, the Splendide would be paid for in a year!

Steve
Old 07-05-2006, 01:40 PM   #20
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Just wanted to let everyone know about a washer/dryer i found that is made by kenmore. It is a 110 volt and is a stack unit of sort. It is compact size and looks like it is going to fit. I am taking it to the dealer for him to install. The good thing is it was cheaper and the parts or more readly avaiable for kenmore i would think and also alot eaiser to work on if needed. Oh yeah here is the MODEL # 88732. You can look at it on sears web site, just go to the appliances and type in model #. Hope this helps someone who is looking. Thanks for all of your inputs.