Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #1
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Slide lube

How do I lube the slide mechanisms and what do I use? ThaNKS.

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 08:07 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Radhazjoe,

Probably the best way to lube your slides is to just bring them in and put them out every week or two.
You don't want to let the Chrome plated hydraulic rams get pitted or let any rust build up on them.
When you bring them in and out it keeps them oiled up with the ATF that is in the rams.
I don't think you want to grease or oil the rails or gears, as dirt, dust and junk will then stick to everything and that would not be to healthy.
I'm sure Dale (M1MF2) will be along with the proper things to do with your slides. He works for the manufacture.

J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Radhazjoe,

I have used a silicone spray on the rack and pinion for the last four years with good results. Keeps everything running smoothly and does not collect dust and grit. It is available at your local home improvement or hardware store.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:57 PM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
All gears work smoother with lubrication and your rack and pinion slide out is no exception.
I use a spray lubricant on mine and every couple of years I will spray them off with a good degeaser like Walter's Slapshot and re lubricate them. These gears should have an easy life and probably will last the life time of the unit even without lubrication, but as a millwright, I can not let any gear go unlubricated.

I agree with John on the hydraulic ram, but if I was going to sit for a few weeks without moving the slide, I would probably spray it with LPS 2 or some other anti-corrosive lubricant spray.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:11 AM   #5
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Thanks for prompt and knowledgablereplies. We don;t sit often for more than a week but are strongly considering longer time frames after a year of racing around the USA.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:47 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
At last year's rally, we had the Montana service techs give a seminar and they went through all of the maintenance recommendations for the trailer. Silicon spray on the seals and the rack and pininion were the recommended choice from the factory. In addition, spray a little on the side of the slide in an "S" shape on the side of the slide and that will lube the slide seals as well. The silicon spray will keep the seals nice and flexible.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's been awhile but I got out and lubed the rack on ours today. I use the TFE 101 (I think that's right) that the Keystone Service Center recommends. It does not collect dirt like many other lubricants including that sold by Camping World and Walmart. I also wiped down the ram with wd-40 but that's the first time I've done that on this almost four year old Montana. It looked shiny and smooth as new before I lubed it but I did it anyhow. I did not get the seals lubed. That will be another day. That and scrubbing the roof and cleaning the rest of the Montana.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #8
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
OK Guys, mechanically challenged new guy needs help. I was getting a little curious since it sounds as though our 2005 3400 slides are "groaning" a little more than they used to when we bring them in or out.
I think some helpful definitions may be in order...
I think I understand the seals are the sides and top rubber things that keep the wind and weather out (somewhat).
But, help would be appreciated in describing the (1) rack; (2)rail (I think they may be the two rails under the slideouts, but confirmation appreciated); (3)pinion.

Also, I looked at the Montana "Slideout maintenance" on this forum and thought I understood it said use only mild soap for lubrication....???
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You are correct about the seals. They are the rubber things on all four sides of the slides. They keep the weather outside. You can get slide seal lubricant from rv dealers, camping world, and some walmarts. If the groaning you hear is a squeal type sound it's probably the seals. Some of that is normal but when it gets real bad that's a clue they need lubricating. The purpose for lubing the seals is to keep them from drying out too much. Keep them pliable so they perform the intended job.

The rack is the long bar with teeth on the bottom. On the coach side of the rack you will also see a gear with teeth. The teeth on the bar is what you lubricate. That and I shoot lube into the gear (pinion) teeth best I can without moving the slides, too. I think rail refers to the same thing. There should be two under each slide.

You may also have heard the term "ram". That's the round chrome rod. There is one for each slide. The ram moves in and out to move the slides. There is a seal through which the ram slides back and forth, into and out of the cylinder. It is a hydraulic process. If the ram gets burrs or otherwise gets rough it can damage that seal.

If this just makes the water more muddy, please post back and we'll try again. Or if I got something wrong, someone please correct.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #10
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I think Steve explained it all quite nicely. If you look closely at the gear that meets the rack you will see a plate in either side of it. these have a bushing that the gear shaft goes thru. Just squirt a little oil into the area between these plates and the gear once in a while as things tend to get a little rusty.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote