Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Washer Not Balanced

Lately when our washer goes into the spin cycle it shakes the whole Montana for about 10 seconds. You could always feel it a little but it has really gotten worse in the past month.

This is the longest we have been parked in one place, almost 5 months. We are on blacktop, and of course I have the 6-point level system.

I have checked several places with my level (kitchen island, top of washer, kitchen counter, moryde assembly) and they all indicate the Montana is leaning slightly to the non-door side. I assume that since we have been in one spot for awhile I have lost level.

We are pulling out in the morning so I don't have to correct this immediately, but I would like to have some ideas on how best to correct it for in the future.

Can you just turn on the level up system and hit "auto level"? Will that simply make some calculations and slight adjustments without letting the front drop a foot to start off with?

Or would you turn on the level up system and go into manual mode and try to correct it?

Old 12-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Is the W/D attached to the floor. Our sure does vibrate on spin fore about 10 seconds as you said but not as bad as you state. We have been on our level up system for 6 months at a time with no loss in level. IMO I would not trust the level measurement inside the Montana. It is hard to find two spots on the inside that are level. Our stove is not level, the counter is not level. the bathroom counter tops are not level. Everything inside has a different level .Helen uses a golf ball dropped on the kitchen floor to see which way it rolls to check level and the bathroom door to see which way it swings.We have found that the auto level on the 6 point is very accurate and will trust that level over any thing inside the RV.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The leveling system uses two boxes to arrive at the side to side and forward to back level. Inside the front compartment, you will find the electronics box attached to the ceiling in the center. A level placed crossways in this same area should show you what the side to side level is. The fore /aft box is buried in the floor, attached to one of the floor joists...in the center of the rv and behind the wheels. Saw it when I had my bottom down. You can place a level on the frame to see how level the rv is in this direction. I had to re-calibrate the level as set by keystone because it wasn't all that close. Easy to do. John
Old 12-14-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
When our Whirlpool washer goes into spin, it has a medium speed spin for about 10 seconds to gauge the balance of the load, then it compensates and goes into a high speed spin. It's a lot smoother. Our washer is bolted to the floor and we are on levelups.

While in the medium spin it shakes the whole Monty, so don't leave any glasses on the edge of table when you are washing.
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
To your level up question, we are getting rain in AZ this year and I've had to adjust the level about once a week. I do it manually. The manual function will also show you how close to level it feels it is and I go from there. Works well for us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #6
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Thanks for the hints. The DW keeps the spin cycle on low or medium, so maybe it would shake less if it was actually on high spin. I will locate the level box in the front compartment and check it with my torpedo level.

Once we get off the road today and level I will check level and keep checking since we will be in this first CG for a few days.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
How do you adjust the spin cycle on the washer? Would like to have ours spin faster.

Opps....Never Mind......Just should have ask the Wife first!!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:46 PM   #8
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
Aside from the washer issue (mine does the same thing) has anybody hit the auto level after being level for a few days? I thought about doing it a couple weeks back after we settled a tiny bit after some rain but chickened out and just dealt with it since we were leaving a couple days later.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #9
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
davidaf, yes, you van hit the auto level button any time you want too. Just be sure you are ready for it, cause it will lower the front down a good ways, then move up and down just like you unhooked from the truck.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:43 AM   #10
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Well, we had that same problem and as it turned out the actual bearing on the drum went bad. We were faced with either replacing the unit, dropping it off at CW for repairs or doing it myself. Of course it was out of warranty when it happened.

I contacted Splendide and they sent me a new drum kit...for about $65 plus shipping.

Here are the pics of the work I had to do:

http://s962.photobucket.com/user/myb...%20Dryer%20Fix

All total it took about 2 1/2 hours to fix.

You can check the bearing from the back of the machine by taking off the panel and if you see black dust around the bearing it is shot.

Also if the inner SS drum freely moves inside the plastic outer drum the bearing is most likely shot.

Good Luck!

Les

Old 12-17-2014, 02:57 AM   #11
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Seems that my auto level does not make the Montana exactly level. I probably need to recalibrate the system. For now I went into manual mode and raised the non-door side about 2 degrees, which made the washer almost level. The DW put the spin on high, and instead of actually shaking it now only vibrates through the rest of the trailer.

This was how it performed the first few months after purchasing the unit new, but we were moving frequently then.