Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Old_Salty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12298
'12 3750 FL smelly galley tank

The last two weekends we noticed a sewer type smell coming from below the kitchen cabinet area. Thinking it is from the kitchen grey water tank. I replaced the vent thinking that was the problem, but no joy. BTW, we did not have sewer hookups. Was wondering if the kitchen tank is vented, I did not see a vent in that area on the roof. Anyone else with this model experience similar issues? Dealer is some distance away. Not opposed to taking back for repair, butwant to exhaust the easier option first. Thanks in advance, Mike

On edit, other trips when we had sewer hookup, we did not notice this issue.

Old_Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Look under the sink and you will find a vent screwed into a standpipe beside the sink drain. Both of mine were bad, the other is under the bath vanity. Stinks to high heaven. Replacements can be found at local hardware store, lowes, Home Depot. If you can't find it I'll see if I can find the picture of it when I posted this a few weeks ago.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Ok went through this already. The other poster is correct but the vents used in the 3750 at least are unique and harder to find than he thinks. They were on "back order" but now avaiable at most dealers. They fail often I am told. The smell nearly killed me, especially when opening drawers in kitchen. Mine failed in one month. New one failed so "I glued the vent shut"! Don't yell at me guys but while they ordered my second vent I had to do it. If this new one fails again I will glue the new one forever. No dumping issues or problems while it was glued shut. Told vent was a safety device! Oh they are hard to get too, so be prepared!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

Ok went through this already. The other poster is correct but the vents used in the 3750 at least are unique and harder to find than he thinks. They were on "back order" but now avaiable at most dealers. They fail often I am told. The smell nearly killed me, especially when opening drawers in kitchen. Mine failed in one month. New one failed so "I glued the vent shut"! Don't yell at me guys but while they ordered my second vent I had to do it. If this new one fails again I will glue the new one forever. No dumping issues or problems while it was glued shut. Told vent was a safety device! Oh they are hard to get too, so be prepared!
I picked up two of them at my local hardware store, they are used in regular houses also. Some gave Artemus some bad info. See previous post of mine about air admittance valves on July 29
Old 09-06-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
this is what it looks like:

[img][/img]
Old 09-06-2012, 02:20 PM   #6
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
Will Montana replace these vents under warrantee? We are having the same problem.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
They will but as Artemus discovered most dealers you go to don't even know what they are (safety device they call it). They are one way air admittance valves but they are allowing some rather smelly air to escape the wrong way.
Do it yourself and save a lot of headache. Print the picture and go to your local hardware store, Lowes, or Home Depot.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Even if Keystone sent you a replacement it would be more of the same crap. A lot of homes and even commercial buildings use them. When you remodel and can't vent up you put one of these in. Even if Keystone used some kind of weird pipe size under there you could still use adapters and put a "real" one in there. Assuming that dealers know what things are isn't always a valid assumption.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Keystone replaced it but my tech ( who I trust ) said there was no room in the 3750 design to replace mine with another kind, or adapt it! He is always very straight with me. He actually came up with sealing idea... I did it so he would not get in trouble! Frankly I have little hope it will continue to work! Just one of those things... Funny how I even went to our new CamperWorld and got same story! They are called anti siphon trap vent device (ASTVD). I was told the rubber membrane drys out. It's spring loaded and does not seal completely. Was told on a web site you can use lubricating grease. I like glueing it shut! Probably not a good idea! Lol. Keith mine has a narrow base and was shorter I believe. Some screwy thing with 3750 model. I guess the pipe is right agaist a wall or cabinet. I can get under there to see, due to the size of my fat gut. Incidentally its interferes with seeing my feet etal! So I rely on others! Lol
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
Old_Salty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12298
I replaced the anti siphon valve. Helped a good amount, but still have the odor. Is the tank vented? If not, any gas produced really has no other avenue to escape. Again, when using sewer hookup, we don't get the odor (which leads me to the vent question).
Old 09-08-2012, 02:33 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Old Salty, that picture above is the vent, it's susposed to draw air in to allow the drain to work properly, then seal shut.
In you cap, or plug it, On such a short run, the worst that happen if you cap the pipe is the drain will 'burp', I think you can get by without one in a pinch, but it's best to have it. If it fails, just replace it with another... or have someone do it for you, a simple repair.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #12
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Old_Salty

I replaced the anti siphon valve. Helped a good amount, but still have the odor. Is the tank vented? If not, any gas produced really has no other avenue to escape. Again, when using sewer hookup, we don't get the odor (which leads me to the vent question).
Did you replace both of them? One under kitchen sink and one under bathroom sink.
There really is no other way tank orders can enter the interior if you run water in the sinks and shower to make sure the traps are full.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:45 AM   #13
Old_Salty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12298
The odor is only in the kitchen, primarily in the cabinets around the sink. The valve was easy to replace. Wish there was a vent for the grey tank, instead of this valve. I did a thorough tank flush when I emptied last, hopefully the new valve and the flush will resolve our issue. Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated. Mike
Old 09-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #14
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
We went to the local Canadian Tire Store and purchased a new cap. Will see how this one works. Thanks for the post, I would not have known about this without your post.
Michael
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote