Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
Peg Jack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8568
urgent boondocking

Driving thru Arkansas on way to sunny Fl. when all of a sudden truck just stopped in middle of highway. Lucky not going 55 mph or more and were able to pull over into turning lane. After having it towed 40 miles to a Ford dealer(AAA) They think it might be the oil pressure regulator and of course need to keep it until tomorrow, sooo we know zero about boondocking without a generator and very little water. Please can you give us a quick rundown as how to live for at least a day in the cold. Burr!!! Hugs

Peg Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You did not say where the Monty is parked. If it is near a potable water hose you can fill your fresh water tank. Your refrigerate and water heater will work off propane. The furnace also heats off propane but its fan runs the battery down much quicker than the fridge or water heater. We find the black tank will hold up to seven days or longer. With Navy Showers (3 minutes of water flow) you should be able to get four or more showers. Washing and rinsing dishes can consume a lot of water.
If there is a 120 VAC pug and you are permitted to use it you might be able to use it to recharge the battery. Just remember not to use the microwave, and keep refrigerate and water heater on propane. Monitor your propane usage.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 02:51 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
You will be living on 12 volt and propane systems. Assuming you have 1 battery in good condition, you can stay warm for a day/night. Turn your furnace on and set the desired temp. Your refrigerator will work on propane if you switch it to gas or it is on auto.
Only use the lights you need. Turn the others off. Make sure the outside lights are off.
Your stove will work as always. Just limit your dirty pots and pans since you have limited water.
With minimal water you just have to conserve. Make quick flushes, maybe buy a couple gallons of drinking water, and cook on the grill to limit clean up of pots and pans.
Make sure both propane tanks are on.

Have fun. It's all part of the experience.

Good luck with your truck!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Glad a couple of savvy members have offered up some tips for boondocking...hope your truck gets fixed in short order and you are back on the road soon. Take care.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:33 AM   #5
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I guess Motel 6 is out of the question?
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #6
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Keep us posted on your repairs.
We would also like to hear about the boon docking experience and how it went.
Old 11-19-2010, 04:22 AM   #7
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Quote; "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, BUT to SKID in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out and LOUDLY proclaiming...WOW...WHAT A RIDE!"

Well, I guess you're getting the "used up, totally worn out" part in a bit early!!!
We hope it's not anything too costly and that all will be well for the rest of the trip.
Keep us informed, OK?
Larry and April
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 04:38 AM   #8
Peg Jack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8568
thank you for quick suggestions. I guess my main worry is probably how long the battery would last and I guess this is why most of you have generators? We did end up staying in a Econo-lodge with our 2 furry loved ones but what a mistake. First I truly know why I make the statement of "at least I know who slept in my bed last night" and boy were our neighbors noisy all night. I sure hope they can fix our oil problem today because they will be closed for the weekend. We are still smiling because we are very happy with our recent decision (September) to become fulltimers and things like this are to be expected. See you on the highways.
Peg Jack is offline   Reply With Quote