Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Peg Jack
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8568
noisy slide awnings

Any suggestions for stopping the flapping of slide awnings when windy?
My furry pets are going crazy with the noise.

Peg Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've heard that's one of the major drawbacks of slide awnings. Here's a couple of ideas:

- Get a pool noodle (those long styrofoam looking devices used in pools as float toys) and put it between the awning and the roof of the slide. This might make things more taut.

- If you need more tautness try a inflatable ball or two or three or something similar, but I caution that you don't want to stretch the awning too much causing it to sag or distort.

Whatever you do, you want to try and maintain the slope to allow runoff. Finally, DO NOT forget to remove them when retracting your slides (you might want to tape a note over the slide switch as a reminder).

Others should be along soon with other ideas.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
The straps that hold the awning...give them a twist or two before you connect the loop to the catch. It will stop the strap from vibrating. Can't help you with the top of the awning unless you put a rope over the slide outs when the wind is really blowing.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Peg Jack

Any suggestions for stopping the flapping of slide awnings when windy?
My furry pets are going crazy with the noise.
You could take them off and send them to me; I’ll pay the shipping!
Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Peggy and Jack,
This topic has been discussed extensively before, a search for flapping and/or noisy awnings may help bring the previous solutions to light. I remember beach balls, straps over the awnings and someone had constructed frames out of PVC pipe that they inserted under both ends. Another potential remedy is making sure that the awning covers are properly adjusted, a search should reveal this info as well. If you do come with a new radical solution above and beyond the normal ones listed, let us know. The other solution is always camp in the middle of a bunch of Montanas and have them serve as wind breaks. This can be accomplished by attending another rally (such as next years Northeast Rally, or Great Lakes rally, or even the Virginia - Mid-Atlantic rally). Imagine that, I even managed to get rally advertising inserted in the middle of a noisy slide awning thread,, we do hope to see you all again at one of the rallies next year.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We have a long 3inch wide tow strap that we throw over the long slide and secure underneath with bungee cords. We tried the beach ball but in a strong wind the covers still flap. I guess one of the inherent drawbacks of these things. I still prefer them to nothing. A personal choice, I guess. Don't leave the straps on too long as they may damage the covers themselves. During hurricane Ike, while we were in Ohio, we actually retracted the slides when we went to bed that night, we were rock and rolling for sure.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
...or you could just take them off.

More worthless RV junk; mine sit side-by-side next to the louvered tailgate at the local landfill.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have 2 awning hold down strap kits from Camping World that I wrap around the slides to stop the slide toppers from flapping and making noise
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

We have a long 3inch wide tow strap that we throw over the long slide and secure underneath with bungee cords.
Ditto...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote