Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2009, 07:30 AM   #1
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Verizon AirCard with Router-Careful!!

I recently emailed an inquiry to Verizon regarding random disconnect problems with our Aircard/KR1 router to see if they could offer any assistance. Much to my surprise, the following was included with their answer:

We want to thank you for using our BroadbandAccess service. You can only use our Wireless Modem on one computer at a time. You can not Network the connection or use any router. Our Terms and Conditions for BroadbandAccess service outline the approved and prohibited uses for our data service. Please click the link below to view:

http://b2b.vzw.com/broadband/bba_terms.html

Guess we'd better be careful in providing too much info when trying to trouble shoot. I reviewed their web site and don't find specific reference to using a router, but I suspect it's buried in the legal jargon somewhere.

MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
MikeM

Of course they only authorize for one connection. That way they will get money for each connection. So never give them more info than you actually need to. What they don't know won't hurt you.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yeppers, the rep made it pretty clear to me when I got ours, especially when I asked if they carried the routers .

I used to get similar answers when I complained to Comcast about outages affecting my business - they would remind me that the cable network service in my neighborhood was for residential casual use only and not for a business. Ya right!

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
chalk your experience to that of finding an idiot for an agent.

especially nowadays where they have overage charges, verizon does not care if you use with a router or not. the more you use, you more you pay them.

in fact, last week they CERTIFIED the Cradlepoint PHS300 for use on their network: http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2661/64/
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:56 AM   #5
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
When using a router you can also be connected to a roaming network (extra costs) and not know it. You can see this if using Verizon Manager.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EVDOalex

chalk your experience to that of finding an idiot for an agent.
Well now lets be careful about the language we use to describe the other vendors, especially when they are not given the privilege to defend themselves on this forum directly.

Mike's response from Verizon has some credible reference to the policy in regard to networking their service, whether we like the answer or not. Short of stirring the pot, I believe the company's own agent is probably the best resource for answering for his own company's policy.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Bsmeaton,

Your statement about other vendors not being allowed to directly defend them selves is not exactly accurate. In a case like this MOC would welcome a representative from Verizon to clarify the issue. We would not welcome a direct ad from them or any company.

Perhaps EVDOalex's language was a bit harsh but I've seen dozens of similar statements from various members.

I do not believe EVDOalex's information was anything but helpful. Regardless of what the Verizon agent said the information given to us by EVDOalex certainly seems to contradict the info the agent is giving out.

I can see nothing wrong with EVDOalex's statements.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
My Bad - I just expected a higher level of professionalism from an honorary vendor than from an regular joe.

Your forum - your call.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
based on responses here, and a PM to me by a forum member, i think i need to clarify my statement.

i was not trying to besmirch someone who may be my competition and could not defend themselves in this forum...

what i was trying to say is that when a person calls a carrier and talks to an 'agent' of that carrier (as in an employee/staff), the caller is playing a game i've referred to as "agent roulette" -- sometimes you get one with brains, but too often you get an agent with no brains. at that point, its best to hang up and try again. and again.

i'm sure many others have played the game unwittingly, and hopefully are never faced with having to play it ever again.

man, that was verbose for no real reason. i guess i'm tired.

ok. i'll rety a shorter version. i wasn't trying to insult a competitor.
i was simply trying to say that too often, the employees of any carrier, are idiots.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeatonShort of stirring the pot, I believe the company's own agent is probably the best resource for answering for his own company's policy.
you're entitled to your opinion. consider yourself lucky if you feel you've never been mistreated by a cellular carrier.

however, i invite you to repeat an experiment that several have documented elsewhere on the web.

think of a question to ask your cellular carrier. not too complex a question, but not too simple. something like, what's the international roaming fee if i travel into canada or mexico... something like that.

in your free time, call and ask the question 50 times, or however many times you feel. see if this is what happens to you:
Old 02-19-2009, 05:46 PM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EVDOalex

you're entitled to your opinion. consider yourself lucky if you feel you've never been mistreated by a cellular carrier.
Actually it would seem I am less entitled to my opinion than you are, as my opinion results in administrator mitigation to defend your opinion - however, as the father of a Verizon employee - I find your stereotypical generalizations and name calling offensive.

I perhaps would understand better if I understood who you are, why you are an honorary member rather than a regular member, and why you tend to generate an immediate defense by many members and almost an untouchable status, yet you have such a short post history. Can I assume there is much more to your membership than is actually explained here?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:51 PM   #12
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton
Mike's response from Verizon has some credible reference to the policy in regard to networking their service, whether we like the answer or not. Short of stirring the pot, I believe the company's own agent is probably the best resource for answering for his own company's policy.
i remembered this bookmark after making my earlier post.
as further evidence that the verizon 'agent' (employee) that sent the email from verizon was wrong, i offer up this page:

Mobile Broadband Wireless Router Solution

note: i'm not promoting that "solution". in fact, it costs even more than a "normal" plan that thousands of our verizon customers pay for and use with a router.

all i'm trying to point out is that the USE of a router is NOT specifically disallowed, as was claimed in the email to MikeM.

In fact, nowhere on the bba_terms.html page referenced by the email sent to MikeM, does the word "router" ever get mentioned.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 PM   #13
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
you can assume all you want. if i were in your position, i would likely make the same assumption.

who am i? i'm a mobile broadband consultant and work for a "vendor" who is an outfitter for solutions that center around Verizon and Sprint's EVDO data services.

i work hard on many RV forums to provide education. you'll notice from my posts, there isn't an attempt at a hard sell to buy from who i work for.

all i try to do is ensure people have good information. what they choose to do with it, is completely up to them.

any point or opinion i will make, is made only when i know i have sufficient evidence to back myself up.

i apologize that my generalization of carrier employees intelligence offended you. i don't personally know your child (the verizon employee) and am not specifically speaking to his/her intelligence. it was not my intention to offend you, or your child.

however, i do invite you to ask your child, what his/her opinion is of their co-workers "on the whole".

as for the admin defending me... i thank them for seeing my true intent.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thank you,

For the apology

and explanation of your presence.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Don't know about Verizon, but we AT&T USB wireless with the Cradle point 1000 and we told AT&T we would be use a router and he said that yoour decision. AT&T is much improved since 2005 Air card. My question would be why would a persone buy a router if they weren't going to use more that one computer? Alex gave us the information and advice on what system we needed or that would work with our system. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #16
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy
My question would be why would a persone buy a router if they weren't going to use more that one computer?
three good reasons:
1) they have an antenna attached to their cellular device, and don't want it acting as a "leash". put the cellular device on the router, and use wifi to regain walk-around freedom.

2) the signal is better in top floor of house, but the computer/office are on ground floor. a router can let you locate the cellular device where there is better signal.

3) some people HATE the carrier's connection manager software. avoid it for as long as possible, by using a router.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Brad,

I commend you for speaking your mind.

I also need to tell you that I have dealt with EVDOalex several times to keep my equipment up to date, and functional. I have only received top-notched information, never any hard sell, and the very best of customer service from his/their company. I only wish I could say the same about my cell/air card service provider who is constantly trying to put their hand in my wallet.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Simon,

I guess I don't understand the honorary member thing first off, and that always gets me in trouble. I suppose a little better explanation in the profile would be helpful. Everybody here has a job, so just saying EVDO consultant doesn't seem to be enough to explain the actual use of the MOC by that member.

I also understand that plenty of folks admire the company and have had good service. Thats a good thing.

I am a vendor as well, and one of our golden rules is we never call down the competition. I learned that if we feel compelled to call down the competition, then most likely we've run out of good things to say about ourselves and have probably already lost credibility with the potential client. It would especially hold true when we're the only one in the room selling the product.

I may say worse here - but I'm not here in a professional capacity.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:47 PM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
EVDOalex has been very helpful to the MOC membership with his many posts and replies concerning air cards, routers and the like. For this I thank him very much. I have used his advice many many times.
I purchased items, thru his company, and have been very satisfied with their product knowledge and service.
As far as Verizon, I have been a Verizon cell phone user since early 2003. I have had the Verizon AirCard since Sept 2003. Am I satisfied with their service and product knowledge?? No way. For the first few years when I'd call Version or visited one of their stores I found myself explaining just what I meant by the words "air card". It could take 4 or 5 of their so called 'techs' to find someone that had a vague idea of what I was referring to.
Today, the only thing I contact Verizon for is a billing problem. If I need technical info concerning my cell or air card I either look at this forum or contact EVDO or 3g Store directly. I don't remember ever being disappointed with their wealth of knowledge and attention to my predicament.
EVDOalex is a God send to this forum and I wholeheartedly agree with his "Honorary" position and wish we had more just like him.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:23 PM   #20
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
bsmeaton,

This Forum is privately owned and operated. The owners can and do formulate the rules and mission of the Forum. We gladly accept suggestions as to how the Forum operates. But we do not countenance individual members attempting to set the rules. We have Moderators and Administrative folks to do that.

Please don't hesitate to bring forward any concerns you might have about the operation of the Forum but then leave it to the Owners of the Forum to set the final implementation of any accepted suggestions.

In the example quoted below you are questioning the concept of "Honorary" membership status. This status of membership is offered to folks who have shown some specific reason that they are capable of helping (or have already helped) individual MOC members or the membership in general. Most likely these will be folks that do not own and are not looking to own a Montana. Their job(s), however, may put them in a unique position to help us as a club.

They are "special" in the sense that they have been recognized as having special knowledge beneficial to our MOC members. They do not carry any more "weight" than any other MOC member and in fact participate at the invitation of the Owners of MOC. Should they show that they do not meet the needs of the MOC membership and are not adhering to the Mission of the MOC then the MOC Owners would simply withdraw their membership.

It is Not your decision to decide who has what status within MOC. That belongs to the Owners. If a member has status as an Honorary member then that means the Owners have granted that status.

It is clear to me why so many members "flock" to his defense (not that he needs anyone to do so). He has answered their questions to a satisfactory level. Or they have dealt with him through his business; which is offline, and have been very satisfied. He seems to be very technically proficient and in general comports himself in a dignified and business like manner.

If you have further issues with him or any other Honorary member please take it off the Forum.

If you have any questions and or comments about this post please let me know.

Thank you, RVWheels

Posted - Feb 20 2009 : 12:46:56 AM
quote:
Originally posted by EVDOalex

Quote from Bsmeaton:
Actually it would seem I am less entitled to my opinion than you are, as my opinion results in administrator mitigation to defend your opinion - however, as the father of a Verizon employee - I find your stereotypical generalizations and name calling offensive.
I perhaps would understand better if I understood who you are, why you are an honorary member rather than a regular member, and why you tend to generate an immediate defense by many members and almost an untouchable status, yet you have such a short post history. Can I assume there is much more to your membership than is actually explained here?

RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote