Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
slide gear & rack

I have been spraying slide lubricate on the gear & rack periodically and it doesn't seem to be doing anygood,they are still showing rust.Why can't good old fashion grease be used here,I don't see how this could come in contact with anything inside of the of the monty.I thought I read somewhere not to do this,it could get on the rugs.I can't see how unless I'm missing something.Thanks for any input

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:55 AM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Grease will attract dirt and debris and will gum things up. The best is to continue to use a dry spray lube.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have been using thetford slide lube. My super slide made creaking noises and stopping when half way closed. After I started using Thetfords the slide started operating normally and does not stop when I am closing. I never tried anything other than Thetford so I can't talk about the other brands but it worked for me.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 AM   #4
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I've never used any slide lubricant. Is it necessary?

I don't have any hesitation or noise when the slides come in or out.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Reviving this post of March. I, too, would like to know about slide lubricants. My slide rails look awfully dry. Is Thetfords a dry lube? What, if any, do others use???

Inquiring minds want to know.......

Thanks Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I use a dry lube and that is what is recommended. Something that will not attract dirt.

Robbie, it's a good idea to lube the rails and spray the gearpack as best you can, occasionally. If the slide starts to hop a little when moving you'll know it's time to lube. I try to lube a couple of times per year whether it is hopping or not.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 PM   #7
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve,

I lubed the slides gears with silicone....is that OK?
Old 06-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
MIMF, who used to work at Lippert, always said silicone spray is fine. It's what he recommended as a cost-effective lubricant for the slide rails and gearpack. Keystone recommends a dry lube like TFE 101. Last year I got them to give me a can and I'm still using that can. Someone here found it available on the internet but I've not yet had to go buy some. This can has another lube or two left in it.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:39 AM   #9
COPINMI
Established Member

M.O.C. #5945
Send a message via Yahoo to COPINMI
I started having one slide move a lot slower than the others and I thought I was having a power problem. I then lubed up the gears and that seemed to solve the problem. I'm regularly, once a month, lubing up the slides now.
COPINMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:36 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Just in case your slide slowing down problem continues, we had one slide, the big one, start moving very slowly in one direction. It turned out to be a small leak in a hydraulic line. Just an fyi in case lubing doesn't solve it indefinitely. Mark the fluid levels on the fluid tank both when retracted and extended. Then watch that level to see if you have a leak.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:06 AM   #11
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
I’m confused. How would lubricant have anything to do with the speed of the slide? Those are gears working. The only way lubricant could have anything to do with the speed of the slide going in or out would be if the slides and rails were rusted which would put a tremendous stress on the motor which in turn would put excess stress on the hydraulics.

I just don’t think that lubricating the slide is going to make it travel faster, maybe easier (on the hydraulic), but not faster.

Just a bit of rambling to try and figure this out, but does this make sense? What did I miss?
Old 06-05-2007, 09:30 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What I was talking about is fluid in the tank. Just so we don't confuse that with lubricating the slide rails and gearpack.

Any moving part that is not lubricated will create more friction which will try to slow it down. That's my guess as to why the phenomena of a slide moving more slowly when it needs lubing. I've not noticed that myself. Mine tends to hang up just a little, then hop to catch up, over and over as it retracts or extends. When it needs lubing, that is.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve,

Whew...Thanks,now I get it. I have never seen any hesitation or hop when the slides are retracted; guess I've got them lubricated properly.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #14
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Hey Gents, WD-40 works fine also. It cleans, retards corrosion (rust) and displaces water. Works great for me.
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had this discussion with the lead tech at Foley's in Burlington. He advised only spraying the bolts on the side of the mech and not the gears themselves. He said that the carpets will turn brown if spray gets on the bottom of the slide. Seems like too many answers for this question. Where can I get the company answer.....Or should I just disregard the company????

Confused in Spokane.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What I was told by Keystone and Lippert (MIMF) is to lube the teeth on the bottom of the square tubes and then shoot a little lube into the gearpack at the coach end of those tubes. If you use a dry lube it should not come off onto the carpet. It's when you use wd-40 or other oil-based lubes that I think you'd get the marks. Or if you use any lube that attracts dirt, then that dirt might come off onto the carpet.

When Keystone told me to quit using the stuff I bought at Camping World they did a demo for me. They shot some of my lube on a piece of cardboard and then spread dirt on it. It stuck. They then sprayed the TFE 101 on the other side of the cardboard, spread dirt on it, turned the cardboard over and ALL the dirt fell off. So that's the test I will give to a new can of lube before I use it.

Robbie, you asked how a dry slide could move slower since it's geared. I see your logic but assume the additional friction of an unlubed slide would cause the motor to work harder and probably slow down. This is just a guess.
Old 07-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #17
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve,

That makes sense. I've been using the silicone without problem. Already thought about the carpet getting oily thing...

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:20 AM   #18
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
Alright, here’s the web address, http://www.fastenal.com/web/products...ex?sku=0600668

This stuff is expensive $89. for 9.5 oz. Yikes, but if you can get a couple of years with it, it’s preventive maintenance.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:48 AM   #19
Andy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5871
OK, update, wasn’t paying attention, that $89. was for a box of 12 cans. Duh!! Would be ok if you had a few others to split up the box.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:48 AM   #20
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If anyone going to the rally wants some 101 lube I have a few cans
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote