Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Slider or not

I have a 2008 Silverado HD short bed. I have already learned that I have to be careful just backing out of my garage after knocking off my right side mirror. So....I know......do everything slowly.

That being said....I am going to pick up a new fifth wheel (3150) this Wednesday and the dealer will be installing the hitch. I am not getting a slider. I know the slider would take complete worry out of this. My two questions. With the large turning radius of the new Montana's is the slider absolutely essential? Similarly, isn't it just a case of having a good memory (and good watcher). If ya'll think it is absolutely essential I will ask the dealer to put in a slider. He is giving me the regular hitch for free.

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:24 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ok, here's the opener of the can.
Yes, absolutely, get the slider! MHO!!!!
I have a sb and a manual slider, have never used it, but it is there if I need it. Cost was only a couple humdred more for the Reese manual, but you can't use something you need if you don't have it!
Now, you'll get some more ideas about the auto sliders and they all work, it's then going to depend upon if you feel comfortable enough to get out and pull the handle manually.
If they are going to supply it, go whole hog, get the best!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
I believe that a slider is a must for a short bed. Too many times I have seen on this forum that people that have been around a long time have "forgotten" and crunched the truck and Monty after a short lapse of memory. I never dropped a rig on my truck bed either but got a bed saver just before the journey we are on now. Three weeks into the trip, BAM, dropped right into my NEW bed saver when setting up. It is up to you but I would highly recommend the slider.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
edmojenks, You mentioned on another thread that you have a 2500 with an 8 ft bed. Here you have a short bed. Maybe getting the tape measure out would be a good thing. Anyway, if a SB I would definitely get the slider hitch. I had one for a year with my 2500 and never used it, but just knowing it was there made a huge difference in awareness of surroundings.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #5
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
As erlier stated get the slider. I have a manual like Emmel and had to use it in a couple of campgrounds. When traveling across several states that you may stop in you may not know the exact layout of the campground.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
In 4 1/2 years I have only used our slider twice, but without it I would have never gotten into those spots. Shortbed yes, longbed no.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Long bed you don't need it short bed you do. The problem with the short bed is when you are backing into some of the sites.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Get the slider. I have a short bed with manual slider. It is great for those tight spots when turning. I always have to use mine when I position it for storage in the yard. For tight "U" turns it is also a life saver or should I say cab saver.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 08:02 AM   #9
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

edmojenks, You mentioned on another thread that you have a 2500 with an 8 ft bed. Here you have a short bed. Maybe getting the tape measure out would be a good thing. Anyway, if a SB I would definitely get the slider hitch. I had one for a year with my 2500 and never used it, but just knowing it was there made a huge difference in awareness of surroundings.
Sorry to be so confusing. I did say in another thread that I have an 8 ft. bed when I don't. Not sure why I typed that. I DO have a short bed.

Sounds like the opinions on here so far are 100% unanimous on getting a slider....at least a manual one.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I learned the hard way there are ten possible points of contact to monitor - left and right front corners of TV, left and right mirrors, left and right front overhangs of RV, left and right rear corners of the TV and the left and right rear corners of the RV. Taking your eyes off any of them can cause a problem, most other areas will be covered if you monitor these - I have had problems with four of them so far.

NOT having a slider means you will have two more to worry about (left and right rear of the TV cab). Do you really want to add more? As a vote for making it automatic versus manual to remove the worry about getting out and setting it, my BIL had a slider and "neglected" to use it because it he thought he "had it" but didn't. Ouch!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #11
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
If you don't get the slider, start putting away a little money each month. When your trailer hits the cab you will have something to pay the bill. On a short bed truck use a slider. I believe a good dealer would suggest a slider for a short bed truck.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
One thing to look out for if you get a slider. I did and would again. Haven't had a neccessity to use it. However, with the hitch at the next to highest position I have 6" clearance box sides to trailer. I have approximately 31" from pin to rear of pinbox and this gives me plenty of clearance up to 90 degrees. However, when I went to check out unit in the rear slide position, found out the pin box only clears the tailgate by 1/2". Not enough! I will need to either buy a v louvered tailgate or raise the hitch 1 1/2". Not sure I like that as I already seem a little bed high/trailer tail low with a 4x4. Sliders are probably a great idea, but check out all the possible clearances. Update: Slider saved my bacon in that tight RV park in Big Bend NP. Face to face sites with no one across from me when I backed in. When I went to leave all sites across from me were full and I had to hook up with slider to the rear and at a 45 degree angle. Lowered the tailgate on cables 30 degrees and it worked fine. Slider really screams though when rollers are not lubricated.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:20 PM   #13
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Just read on another forum about a guy with his 2010 sb truck and new 2010 5er that just destroyed the front cap on the 5 and the cab of his new truck the second day he owned it, he didn't think he needed a slider because the dealer told him so. Oh, the dealer that told him that is not paying for his damages. Get what you are comfortable with but be aware of the shortfall. For the difference in price of the standard hitch and an auto slider the difference paid for my 8 ft bed.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In 15 years, including, at that time, about 4 years of fulltiming, I only used the slider 4 times. But I should have used it a fifth time. That fifth time convinced me I either need to be more diligent about using the manual slider or I need to get the automatic slider that does not require any input or thought from me. I opted for the automatic slider.

In my opinion you can do just fine with the new Montanas without a slider but that does not eliminate the risk. It simply means you will have to be very careful. The biggest risk is getting into a situation where you are not comfortable going very slowly or having someone walk alongside to watch. Yes, it can happen. Think turning into a commercial driveway and some turkey comes flying up towards you hogging the middle of the lane causing you to have to cut the turn shorter than planned or stop and block traffic. In other words, it likely will happen when you are not in position to control the situation. In my case, I could have controlled the situation but didn't.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 AM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I posted in your other thread, but what the heck, I'm verbose.

With the supposedly new shorter caps it ma be that the cap will clear the cab, but I sure would make a few turns in a parking lot with someone closely watching. Also, you need to know how much clearance you have at the corners for those times you are on un-level ground as it will change the relationship of cap to cab.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #16
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
I thank each and every one of you for your response. So far the responses have been 100% in favor of getting a slider.

Here's what I still don't get. After buying my 2010 3150RL at an RV show I called my dealer today to set up an appointment to pick up the trailer this coming Wednesday(the place is a couple of hours from my house). I will also have the hitch installed that day. I asked again and he told me again that with the new design of the front end of the model I am getting that I would not need a slider. He said he personally drove my unit back to the dealership, was driving a short bed truck and checked it out himself. He said he jack-knifed the truck and still didn't come close to the cab.

Then again, what I am hearing some of you say is that you won't always be on even ground, etc.

Sounds like I need to go ahead and get a slider, but it is curious to me that the dealer wouldn't say something like "if you want to be absolutely sure, go ahead and get a slider." My sales experience with this guy couldn't have gone any better.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:27 PM   #17
richard66
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5896
Your dealer is doing the backing and turning on level asphalt without anything around. IE: ideal conditions. Have you ever seen these conditions at any campgrounds? Need I say more. If he insists you will have no clearance problems, get him to put it in writing. Short bed trucks need slider hitches to be safe.
richard66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
If his truck is the same as yours then have him hook it up while you are there and then have him jackknife it to see if it clears. Better yet see if he will let you jackknife it.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #19
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I went with an automatic slider for one reason. 34 years in the insurance business I have had too many clients 'forget' and pop the back of the cab. Cost of repairs or increase in rates for an at fault collision claim is more than the difference in the purchase price of the automatic slider. For us, the decision was a no brainer.

Glenn's posts were a great deal of info on this topic as well.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:49 PM   #20
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
edmojenks,
I have a long bed so no need for a slider. But I have a friend who had short bed and knocked the rear window out as well as dinging up the cab. If I had a short bed I'd certainly have a slider..... Not only that but I'd have an automatic one. I'd do that because I know I'd start "stretching" the ability to make a turn and before you know what happened I'd have smashed the cab!

In regards to the salesperson... You have to remember that they are trying to sell something. They will say pretty much whatever they think you need to hear in order to make the sale. They may think that if they say you need an expensive hitch that you might not buy the trailer or truck!

Remember that YOU are the one ultimately responsible and if you smash the cab it is your fault not the salesperson!

Good luck and travel safely.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote