Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
When Keystone Ships units

Do they wrap the trailer or cover it while in transit? I wonder because mine has been coming through all the crap happening across the country and I hope that all that ice and snow is not getting driven into every orifice on the roof, etc.
I would hope they protect it to some degree.
Or do they just haul it out the same way I will be once I own it.
Bob

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:18 PM   #2
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
They, Keystone, contract with independent carriers to transport the units to the various dealers. And, no, the independent carriers do not cover the units they transport. You'll get what you get plus some road grime...
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The transporters are required to wash the trailer upon delivery but I watched them wash a couple and they ain't at all thorough. They will get the worst off and the dealer will give it a better washing as part of his prep but you will still have some road salt up under where they didn't go.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:52 AM   #4
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Ever see what appears to be a convoy of trailers...kinda like a moving rally...thems a delivery of RVs.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 01:23 AM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
The sooner they can deliver, get signed off and back to get another, the more coins can jingle in their pocket. They dont worry too much reguarding condition as long as the unit is deliverable.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:15 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Everyone is right. While we were at the dealer, a new unit arrived. They had sent him back out to wash the unit. Keystone doesn't even supply the battery. The driver had one of those lawn tractor batteries he used to run the slides out for inspection. He told me he makes very little on the deliveries, but they (he and wife) do get to travel a lot. I gave him a brochure for RV's built in East TX and he was going to try them for a load back north.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:21 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I transport rv's part time for a transport company out of Goshen. I have done this for 5 years,even transported FEMA trailers. I do not transport after Oct. I may have transported your Montana. Lets get this wash thing correct. Keystyone or whatever company contracts with a transport company to have someone transport your rv to the dealer. I just called dispatch and the pay FOR LOADED mile is $.94 to $1.05 . That would be closer to $.94 than the $1.05 That IS money from Goshen to the dealer, your on your own on the trip back. You can take a pay advance or just pay everything out of your pocket and after you send in the paperwork you get paid. The amount allowed on the paper work for a RV WASH IS $20.00. You have no idea if a dealer will wash the rig or if they want you to get it washed before delivery, until you call them about a half hour before delivery. I have had some dealers that have a truck wash place that will wash the rig for $20.00 close to the dealer and you do not have to go out of your way to get there. Remember thats $.94 a loaded mile to the deaer,anything out of they way is out of your pocket. I love those dealers. Some dealers just take the $20.00 and have the janitor wash the rig. Some dealers want you to wash the rv. I have done this and I do not like it. You have to wash ouside with some crap wash brushes and no hot water, but wow, you do not have to give them $20.00 out of your pocket. I had one place in TN. wanted the rv washed and it was pouring rain. If a dealer charges more than $20.00 for a wash you have to call dispatch and let them negotiate the wash price.TRY TO GET YOUR RV. WASHED FOR $20.00. I would be more concerned that the dealer took a lot of time to do a through inspection of your rig for factory defects.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:51 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My son-in-law's father is also a transporter and says about the same thing. Not a big profits deal for the transporter. $1.00 a mile, 10 miles = $10 - fuel costs = $6 to $7. That's about $35 per hour drive time. If you are coming back dry, cut that in half. It is not the greatest pay in the world. Then having to wash the unit on top of that, little wonder you don't get a pristine wash job.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #9
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Another thing, Slickwillie didn't tell you, is that the transporters rarely use their truck brakes when transporting. Only in an emergency. The thought is "why should I wear mine out when I have this nice new tlr back there?". So if your far from the factory, it would behoove you to make sure the brakes are adjusted up.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #10
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
More customer quality. They've sold it so on to the next one and let this jerk fend for himself. Not really showing much pride in their product.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Bob,

I don't know of any company that routinely wraps or covers their RV units for transport. I've seen some MH units with plastic covers on the front but that is all that was covered. And I have not seen any TTs or 5ers that were covered or protected. Perhaps there are some companies out there that do cover their units but I've not seen them.

Guess no company has any pride!

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 12:33 PM   #12
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Agree with Dennis, never saw a one wrapped, and we have seen a bunch of em sitting in Goshen and Elkhart County waiting for delivery. Lost count on how many we have seen being toted out of there, headed for dealerships. One afternoon on the way into Elkhart on a rather back road we must have counted 20 or more, we were on such a back road we figured we would not see another vehicle at all.

It is kinda fun driving around Elkhart county if you have a big truck, all the haulers wave at cha figuring you are one of them! Lots of waving going on!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote