Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 12:02 PM   #41
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dee, you are a nice guy and a good friend, enjoy it down there.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:37 PM   #42
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
How would a person tie down an electric awning? Or do people just put it in? Is there anything out there for electric awnings?
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:01 AM   #43
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I have to politely disagree with some of you. My awning setup was learned in Gulf Shores, Alabama and was used in Narvarre, Florida this October during a lot of wind and rain. I have 4 large augers about 3 feet long which screw in the ground. Two come straight out from the awning with ratchet straps securing them. Then two more are used at a 90 degree angle from the others. They run parallel to the trailer. They prevent the awning from moving side to side. I also set the awning supports vertically and then fasten them to the top of two screw in augers with 2 bolts for each auger. I also use 3 deflappers on each end and may add more of these in the future. I also have a sun screen which comes off the end of the awning and fastens with bungee cords to smaller augers in the ground. This sunscreen can be rolled up and fastened in place with velcro tabs if the wind gets too high. I find the sunscreen sometimes catches wind far worse than the awning. I also drop the front corner of the awning about a foot lower than the rear corner to facilitate drainage. This helps to prevent a collapsed awning. This system which I use is very common in Gulf Breeze Campground in Gulf Shores. We have been in extreme winds the last two Octobers on the Gulf Coast with no problems. We have seen others with collapsed awnings who didn't follow this protocol.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 05:49 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I see the weak point were the awning slides into that rail on the camper wall. This is were we have seen the awning rip off the camper..if in high winds and when the wind got up under the awning.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 06:11 AM   #45
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If mine didn't rip in the stormy winds we had, I am confident it will stand up under a sustained period of time. The additional de-flappers is the key, as Dave and Carol noted, more is better. That was my only weak spot. Like I said I rolled it up because it was too noisy. But I know everyone has their comfort zone, and I respect that. It is a gamble.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #46
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I have seen mentioned on this topic a bit about electric awnings. Does anyone have the weatherpro or similar awning that is controlled electicaly and then has a wind sensor to auto roll up the awning in high winds or heavy rain/snow? I would like you opitions on these awnings.
Thanks bunches
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #47
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
While shopping for a new RV I was at a dealer and a rv had its electric awning out and it had a wind sensor. This was in the summer and a strong wind came up just ahead of a thunderstorm.
I mentioned that the awning should come in as the wind was really blowing. The sensor was spinning faster and faster.
Saleman stated that its wind controlled about that time the awning was lifted up and the damage was done. He later admitted that the sensors sometimes get out of adjustment.
My last rv had a electric awning but it sure wasn't wind sensor controlled.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 AM   #48
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We were in Tucson, a big wind came by and 3 of the big class "A"'s lost their awnings, blew them up on the top of the rig, bent the arms. Sensor problems I guess. Baudry fixed them there.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:10 AM   #49
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Ozz, Had a guy down at Palmdale that built his own supports under the awning fabric . He used plastic pipe from Lowes or Home Depot. It works a little like the metal stuff you pay the big money for. His awning was faceing east. He will not be down this year, he went to AZ. You could have went over and checked it out. I know we have four blades of grass that slows the wind down compared to what you get on the island. I keep my awning up and my door side faces the west. I am going to rig up the nylon strap thing to keep my large slide topper from flapping in the wind.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:41 AM   #50
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have an electric awning on the new Big Sky, and I am wondering if they can be tied down in anyway. It doesn't appear that they can. They have a scissors mechanism to extend and it doesn't appear as it would take a lot of downward force at the end. Any ideas would be appreciated... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:04 AM   #51
MelsJoy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7085
Ok guys....
Its all well and good to have everything strapped down so well that "NOTHING CAN DAMAGE IT".... BUT.. as we learned last year from direct experience in little old AZ. gusts (about 90 mile gusts), don't ever believe it can't happen to you.

Because Mel leaves every two weeks for work he had our awning strapped across the horizontal roller in front and tied down with springs on the end of the straps, had the feet anchored in deep, and we had "8" deflappers on the Awning. It was so well secured I even had my Christmas lights attached underneath.

Well, at about 2:00am one morning, my neighbor happen to hear something outside and thank god, she decided to investigate. It was me, outside on a 6 foot ladder, trying to no avail to get the deflappers reattached. The gusts were pulling the material right out of the clamps. To make a long story shorter, I ended up having to also call my Aunt & Uncle, and it took 5 of us to get the awning down, and it was not rolled up. Mel had it so securely attached to the ground that it was almost impossible to take apart. It was obviously going to "RIP" the fabric, but, not at the trailer side, like most would think, but at the roller. We ended up just bringing it straight down and securing in with rope to the axels, which of course meant it covered the door and I had to crawl into the basement to get back into the rig. Not to mention the broken glass all over from the string of lights we ended up stepping all over because we couldn't get them off.

We "thought" we lucked out and had no damage. However, late this summer, we had the awning out at night, something we rarely do anymore, and we had unexpected gusts in the middle of the night, that darned awning ripped right off of the roller, and thankfully the roller and the arms just fell out away from the rig to the ground and not against it. So of course, we had to replace it. Oh and the arms are a little bit tweeked. So, my point is, Never, never leave your awning out when there is a possibility of wind or storms! Everything has a weak point. the first wind storm stressed out the fabric enough to make it easier to fail on the next wind storm. So be careful!
Joy
MelsJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:59 AM   #52
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We keep our awning down all summer with no ties only two de flppers on each end (all the others here tie down) I think the way we sit the side faces east and are blocked by others so not much wind gets to us. BUT it is SNOW time and we put it up if we are not out to use it to avoid snow crushing the awning it wont run like water. I put the awning up and it on the 3400 has a short and long leg, the front seams to roll up loose and the back is tight on the roll, I ran it up and down several times trying to get it to go evenly What do I need to do to get it straight?.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 03:51 AM   #53
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It may have stretched a little, you may need to wind more tension on your roller spring.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:46 AM   #54
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I thought about stretch but it is only one end, and some of the post say it wont stretch? I looked at tightening the springs and it may be a job for Superman I did it on a window awning but I may try. Thanks
Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 05:26 AM   #55
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

I thought about strech but it is only one end, and some of theposte say it wont strech? I looked at tighting the springs and it may be a job for Superman I did it on a window awning but I may try. Thanks
Bob
WATCH THOSE FINGERS!
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:26 AM   #56
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
One good strong wind and the awning goes over the top and you have to reach for the credit card to repair it will tell you what to do with the awning when your are away from your home. Good Luck
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote