Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Alltell internet

I have the Cingular Laptop connect and I am pretty happy with it. A friend is shopping and he is thinking of useing Alltell for mobile internet why I am not sure why as I have not had good dealings with them. But I am trying to be unbiased. Anyone have any information I can forward?

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
We have been using Verizon for the internet for about 5 years and have been very pleased with it. The connecting cord and disks are now down to about $35.00, we paid $70.00. We have loaded the disks onto 3 computers, in fact, just yesterday I reloaded onto another computer. It works wherever we have cell phone service, which with Verizon is almost everywhere. Sometimes when we are in an extended network we can't get online, but that's not too often. We don't have to pay an ISP, just our monthly Verizon rate for the 2 phones. We use our computer after 9 and on weekends with the cell, it is a little slower, not like hi speed or wifi, which we are on now, but we are full time and have found it to be the most reliable and cost effective way to go. Judy
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
Does Verizon own alltell?

The reason I ask is that the local phone dealer here switched from Cellular 1 to Alltell and now advertises Verizon. I heard that Verizon bought Alltell.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #4
Connorsmom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6592
I use a Sprint Broadband air card. The card costs $49.00, but they have a $49.00 mail in rebate, so it's really free. It costs roughly $50.00 a month for unlimited usage. It will work anywhere Sprint is, which is almost everywhere, especially since Nextel merged with them. I'm even using it down here in the Everglades, and trust me when I say not much works down here...LOL I've only had it for about 6 weeks now, but I really like it. I've used it everywhere from Michigan down here to the Glades.

Jan
Connorsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:28 AM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
I have an Altell air card on my work laptop. I have had alot of trouble with it. It won't work properly unless you have full bars and that seems to be only when you are in very close proximity to a cell tower. I also have a lot of problems getting the computer to recognize that the air card is installed. I'm not sure whether this is an Alltel problem or a computer problem. When the air card is working, to me, it seems significantly slower than dialup. My work cell phone is Alltel and my personal cell is Verizon. The Verizon cell is far superior to the Alltel. My company changed from Verizon to Altell a few years ago as a cost cutting measure. Most cell phone users are still complaining of the poorer coverage after the changeover.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We have the same as Don and Judy and are very happy. Our model phones work with the program we have and if we want to upgrade our phone, there's a program for that too. Waiting until 9 pm isn't bad. Then there's free weekends.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote