Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2018, 06:39 PM   #401
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredetteb View Post
The pivot door has constantly been coming unscrewed from the top carrier trolly. I don't understand how, but that's a question for another day.

Has anyone found a way to secure the bolt from the door to the trolley so that it doesn't unthread?
I used blue loctite

Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:50 PM   #402
fredetteb
Established Member

M.O.C. #20521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
I used blue loctite
That was my first thought but it brings up the question of "how" the bolt keeps unthreading.

(this would be easier if I could draw)

Here goes;

The bolt hooks in the top of the door and is held in place with a lock nut. The bolt threads then screw into the center hole of the trolley that rides along the track on the door frame. When the door opens the trolley slides along the track, allowing the bolt inside the center hole to turn slightly allowing the door to do it's unique pivot action.

If I put loctite on the threads, how is the door supposed to piviot open if both ends of the bolt are held in place?

Part 2 of this mystery is the unscrewing itself. If the bolt is threaded into the trolley and turns when the door is opening (loosen) wouldn't it turn back when the door is closed (tighten)? How does the bold come unscrewed? There must be some 4th dimension the door travels through.

Anyway, I'll try the loctite and see if that helps. I like the door itsef, but this trolley/bolt setup could use a redesign.
fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 06:00 AM   #403
N1282X
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22428
This is a great idea! Other Montana models already have it there. I plan to temporarily move mine and check for proper operation.
N1282X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:42 PM   #404
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizzie View Post
The heat kicks on and all is well BUT the kitchen floor fills with air and lifts ever so slightly! I would have thought the flooring would have been glued on?!? Clearly it is not. Now, it doesn't lift much but there is definitely air getting in there and once the heat goes off, the floor goes back to normal. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm thinking the best way to handle that one is to pull the vents in the kitchen and seal up the flooring there and all will be well. Unless the air is coming from elsewhere, then I don't know where to start.

Any input is appreciated. Safe travels to all.
Phizzie, dealer just finished my punch list for the initial 90 day shake down. Lucky for us we were the second rv to have this issue so they knew exactly what to do. I was told that none of the floors are glued down. To fix the issue they pulled up both vent covers, injected glue on both vents toward the centre and around the vents. Also went down below and removed the ducts so they could reattach them correctly and sealed them up good. Floor no longer rises and it does not get hot. Also increase in flow to bathroom and bedroom.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #405
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredetteb View Post
That was my first thought but it brings up the question of "how" the bolt keeps unthreading.

(this would be easier if I could draw)

Here goes;

The bolt hooks in the top of the door and is held in place with a lock nut. The bolt threads then screw into the center hole of the trolley that rides along the track on the door frame. When the door opens the trolley slides along the track, allowing the bolt inside the center hole to turn slightly allowing the door to do it's unique pivot action.

If I put loctite on the threads, how is the door supposed to piviot open if both ends of the bolt are held in place?

Part 2 of this mystery is the unscrewing itself. If the bolt is threaded into the trolley and turns when the door is opening (loosen) wouldn't it turn back when the door is closed (tighten)? How does the bold come unscrewed? There must be some 4th dimension the door travels through.

Anyway, I'll try the loctite and see if that helps. I like the door itsef, but this trolley/bolt setup could use a redesign.
The other fix I am thinking about if this loosens up again it to use a left hand threaded bolt.The problem is once it loosens it creates a space & will not tighten on its own, thats were a left hand threaded set up would work.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #406
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
But wouldn't that just loosen up when you closed it? Somehow I don't think that it matters.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:03 PM   #407
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Since the blue loctite seems to be working Ill leave it for now & see what happens.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #408
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Well, it fits! Finally got around to loading our Arctic Trail S X S into the garage & it actually fits, although I did have to air down the front tires. I think I will air down all four tires so it does bounce as much & I still have to lock it down. I have a few good ideas I will try & post pics when done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0036.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	3124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0037.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	3125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	286.9 KB
ID:	3126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0039.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	3127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	3128  

Old 02-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #409
TennTom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22087
Kudos.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #410
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Vacuum Storage

Finally found a spot for the vacuum in the bathroom closet above the top shelf. I made up a mount with a detent for the motor & charger on one wall & mounted the other parts on the side wall. I mounted them with their own backing to distribute the load to the framing as the laun offers no strength. we can access the vacuum from the bed room or bath room & I wired an outlet off the washer so it will charge.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:04 PM   #411
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Question, has anyone removed the generator shroud & converted that space into storage? I personally dont think I will ever install one & its a big area that can be turned into nice storage. If we do add a generator it be a diesel mounted in the truck bed & a honda 2000 for in between.
Old 04-22-2019, 09:00 PM   #412
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Roof Ladder

Has anyone modified the rear ladder so you dont need a ladder to get to it? Im thinking a flip down section adjustable to the ground, I hate the existing set up & have moved this up on the mod list.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #413
fredetteb
Established Member

M.O.C. #20521
Quote:
Roof Ladder

Has anyone modified the rear ladder so you dont need a ladder to get to it? Im thinking a flip down section adjustable to the ground, I hate the existing set up & have moved this up on the mod list.
When we bought ours the sales rep told us the short ladder was a "safety feature" to prevent unauthorized access to the roof I just use my step ladder that stays in the toy hauler.

I've wondered about a permanent extension but don't have the engineering imagination to work it out. Perhaps a modified boat deck ladder would work.
Attached Images

fredetteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #414
kescue
Established Member

M.O.C. #20145
Montana 381TH Water Tank clean and fill

Anything I need to be aware of before I clean and fill my water Tank on 381th? Any lessons learned, tricks, what to be thinking of??

Labels on unit are a bit confusing as they don't really look like they are specific to this rig.

Thanks
Keith

Keith and Jana Escue
2018 Montana 381TH
2016 Ford F350 King Ranch
kescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:06 PM   #415
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by kescue View Post
Anything I need to be aware of before I clean and fill my water Tank on 381th? Any lessons learned, tricks, what to be thinking of??

Labels on unit are a bit confusing as they don't really look like they are specific to this rig.

Thanks
Keith
Water tank drain is front drain under unit in center forward of axle. The other drain closer to the axle is for ice maker.

The only way to fill the tank is to hook up a hose to normal supply location and turn the valve to fill tank. Although in a pinch you could use your onboard 12volt pump to pull from a bucket.

The vent line for the tank comes out about half way down the frame on drivers side. It has a plastic clam shell cover. Watch the levels as you fill and turn off filling just after you reach full on the indicator lights. If you overfill water will run out the vent line. No reason to panic but do stop filling ASAP to prevent overpressure.

And yes the labels are confusing!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 07:55 PM   #416
kescue
Established Member

M.O.C. #20145
Thanks Jim! Appreciate the info on this. Have to see where this clam shell cover is at, I have never noticed it. We should all get together and just create our own 381TH owners manual online. Or create a Montana 381TH YouTube channel Nothing better than other experienced RV'ers...

Keith and Jana Escue
2018 Montana 381TH
2016 Ford F350 King Ranch
kescue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 08:39 PM   #417
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
It says you can remove the vent cover & add clorox/water mix with a hose & funnel into tank.
Old 05-03-2019, 07:22 AM   #418
klewis6787
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23375
How much room do you have in front on it in the garage. Looking at a Can Am Maverick trail but it is 118" long.
Kurt Lewis
klewis6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:30 AM   #419
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by klewis6787 View Post
How much room do you have in front on it in the garage. Looking at a Can Am Maverick trail but it is 118" long.
Kurt Lewis
I tried one, it doesn't fit, that's why we bought the AC, our friends own a dealership and let us try them first.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:03 AM   #420
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
I tried one, it doesn't fit, that's why we bought the AC, our friends own a dealership and let us try them first.
You would not be disappointed with the AC trail, very capable machine.