Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
kountry traveler
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9428
Cleaning Roof

We have a 04 2980RL and am planning on giving the roof a good cleaning before the cold weather sets in.
The white roof is not real bright and there are black marks which appear to be mold or mildew all over the roof. Is there a special
cleaner that will restore the roof to its orignal color.
I have tried Greased Lighting and bleach on
a small area but the results were negative.
Would appreciate any input from someone who has better results then myself.
Thanks,
The Kountry Traveler

kountry traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Kountry Traveler,
You've asked one of the most asked questions on the MOC. A search may turn up some threads regarding this.

In answer to your question regarding cleaning the roof the short answer is to simply use a dish washing type detergent like Dawn. We use Dawn and just scrub really well. That gets most all the dirt and black spots. It does take some serious elbow grease but ends up cleaning it well and does not do any damage to the roof.

I would not use anything too caustic so as to not damage the roof membrane.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #3
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
We attended a seminar at the Fall Rally put on by Dicor, the people that make the rubber roof material. They said to use Tylex bathroom tile cleaner. They said to be very careful and not let it run (full strength) over onto the sides of your unit. Just spray it (or wipe it) on and use a damp cloth to wipe it off, doing a small area at a time. After you wipe the Tylex off with the damp rag you can then rinse the area with a garden hose.

I have not tried this method but they said if you call them they will send you the cleaning instructions. Sorry I don't have their info handy.

on edit: the Tylex is to clean the black spots (mold) off. For regular cleaning we use a mixture of dish soap and water scrubbed on with a medium to soft bristle car wash brush.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
If you use Dawn, use the blue Dawn. It has no citrus or flowery smell and will not attract birds looking for food. They can peck holes in your roof.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Don't use anything with petroleum distillates in it unless you want a new roof. A Dicor rep at a rally several years ago said the main reason for cleaning the roof is to spot any physical damage to the rubber.

I don't think products containing citrus or ammonia are supposed to be used either, just a mild dish detergent like the Blue Dawn mention above.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Jim said not to use citrus or flowery smell it will attract birds. Is there a cleaner you can use to run them off with there Squirrel friends?...

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
corncob
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8226
Just finished doing my roof today. Used a mixed of Dawn (non-citrus) and also poured some rubber roof cleaner purchased at Walmart into the bucket. Hand scrubbed the tough stains. Used a soft brush for most of the area (extendable and hooks to the water hose if desired) purchased at Walmart also. Works well but nothing will ever bring it back to new.
corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

Jim said not to use citrus or flowery smell it will attract birds. Is there a cleaner you can use to run them off with there Squirrel friends?...

Bob
Gunpowder?
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I suppose you could mount one of those plastic owls up on the roof to keep the squirrels and any other critters from coming up there! You might even get a few comments from your fellow campers on your addition if you place it in the right position! But the cleaning is done with some good old elbow grease and Blue Dawn dish detergent and as said prior- "Don't expect it to be like it was when new"-- that will never happen! I normally wash ours in the spring and then just before putting it to sleep for the winter(as if that does any good-- since it sits outside in the elements all winter here in Nebraska. Trying to talk the DW into heading South later this winter so maybe I'll get it washed one extra time! LOL
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 03:18 AM   #10
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I agree with Ron's post above. Dawn works good I use Basic-H by Shaklee. I just clean the roof to get the crud that comes off easy. The birds will never tell anyone if my roof is not pure white.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We (Helen) will do the roof maybe twice a year as per Dicor's recommendations. Nothing fancy, regular dawn. Don't care what color it is..who stands on overpasses checking for roof color.Just try to keep the dirt that runs down the side of the camper to a minimum.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #12
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
If I recall correctly, Dicor also indicated that the roof "oxidizes" as a matter of design. So part of the 'dirt & color' is this process. They related it to your roof on the stick home. If you check the gutters you will see some of the sand washing off, again by design.

Just an fyi
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I let Earlene do the roof. If she's happy with it, I'm happy with it.

There are pictures somewhere on this forum of her on the roof, as proof.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:01 AM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ron, we used to use a plastic owl at our stick house, worked fine for about one season, but the red squirrels ate the head off of it(brave little buggers). Bought another the next season and ended up giving it to a friend when we hit the road. Some squirrels cannot be deterred by anything except gun powder and lead...... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote