Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 AM   #1
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
2012 Mountaineer 346LBQ Review

I thought I would post a review of our rig after the first week of use. This is our 3rd 5th wheel and 6th camper. Overall we are very pleased with the new Monty. It is 3' longer and at least 1500lbs heavier than our previous Sandpiper. It pulls like it is smaller and lighter, it has the optional upgraded suspension, and we got 11.8mpg running 60mph on I35. Changing the tires to something better than the Chinese Marathons is a must. We went with BFG. They ran cool, about 10 degrees over outside temps, and never went above 10psi over the cold psi while towing. The remote control system makes set up and hook up nearly effortless. The entertainment system is good, but they didn't hook the tv up to the dvd sound so you must use the stereo when watching a dvd, I'll change that when I have time. Also, if the outside speakers could have been lower and further apart that would have been great. The a/c is adequate, but adding front air is a must. The furnace is good but with only one vent in the front bedroom on the near side of the bed, it needs improvement. The light switches in the monitor panel seem like a good idea, but it isn't. I would prefer them on the wall just inside the door. Plus, it would be nice if the scare lights worked independently. There isn't much room on the sides of the queen bed so it is a little hard to make. Storage is good, but why couldn't we get a laundry shoot to the basement, that is a good feature if you have it. A second switch to the water pump mounted in the rear bath would be a good idea since it is the easiest bath to use when you are on the road. The awning rests on top of the kitchen slide if you put it out all the way, so watch out for that. The convenience center is great, but the sewer hookup and valves for the second bath are terrible. If you have to hook up or drain with the slides out, you have to crawl under the slide to reach the valves, not an easy task. The good thing is the galley drains into the rear tank so it takes a while for the tank to fill up and doesn't fill up your shower tank. For anyone who is on the fence about the w/d combo. Get it! Our Splendide vented unit worked great, until the vent came off. If you don't use it for washing clothes, the ability to just dry our bath towels and put them away and not have damp towels hanging all over the coach is worth the full price of the unit. I can't imagine how useful it will be when swim suit season gets here. The outside kitchen is handy. Although the fridge has no light inside and the light in the compartment is almost completely blocked, so I added an led light on the panel door. The included gas grill works ok. It is big enough to fit 5 baked potatoes and then 5 steaks after you move the potatoes to the top rack. Overall this is a great unit that is a good fit if you have a few kids and want plenty of space (like us). Like any 5th wheel, some things could be changed and improved, but it is very close to greatness the way it is.

tracyclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
Good write up. Thanks
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The laundry chute sounds like a good idea, but I haven't talked to anyone who has one who hasn't had to reinforce the lid area. Our Montana has separately controlled scare lights so that may just be a difference between Mountaineer and Montana. We have camped where it is cold and haven't needed more venting in the front bedroom and I've even drilled some quarter size holes in the ductwork in the basement to better heat the basement, but then again our floor plan is different. Your comments on the drains are right on. Keystone loves to put the drain valve handles under slides. For many of us who don't have a second bedroom they put the gray tank drain for the kitchen sink under the kitchen slide. It sounds like you had a good time and got to know your rig and have ideas about how to improve it. There are a lot of great and talented folks on this forum who have "been there and done that" whose knowledge you can tap to make your mods go as smooth as possible. Hope we get to meet you down the road.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:00 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Hopefully like us, part of the RV fun for you is working on and adding personal touches and modifications to your unit.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
tracyclifton
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11859
In our Sandpiper the laundry chute was under the bathroom sink. We could just open the cabinet and toss our dirty clothes through the chute into a basket in the basement. It was convenient and when the cabinet door was closed we didn't even know it was there. One more thing that is a little off topic. I have had the TST TPMS for several years. When I checked it this spring all of my sensors had dead batteries. I sent 4 of them in to TST and within a week had four new ones for around $80 including shipping. They worked perfectly on the new rig this trip. http://www.tsttruck.com/Home_Page.html
tracyclifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You'll find many of us use tire monitors. Especially those of us who ran with Marathon tires on the rig for any period of time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
We have the same heat issue. It would get really hot in the bunk room and main area but cold in the bedroom. I ended up replacing the vents with standard vents that close. This pushes a lot more hot air forward.
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Laundry shutes are entry points for theives who break into storeage area and enter living area thru shute. I out a biscycle hook on the end of a 1" dowel rod, just reach in and pull to open and push to close. Enjoy your rig and welcome to the forum.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:16 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Actually we got locked out of our 2005 and the wife crawled in through the laundry chute to get our spare key! The outside storage door, I unlocked with my golfcart key so she could get in.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote