Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Bedroom Slide Leak

After Irene passed by, I went out to check the Montana to see of we had any leaks, everything seemed good, until I walked on the floor on the other side of the bed.

My socks were soaked!!!

It seems like it was coming in at the front corner of the slide, and it was a little wet inside the slide on each side of the headboard, on the floor.

Got the shop vac out and picked up a good gallon of water.

Slides were in all the way before the storm hit.

Any suggestions on where to look for the leak?

THANKS......

oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Tom,
I had a leak in our 3150RL and it got wet on both sides of the bed. I finally discovered the leak was at the top of that metal strip that is about 4" wide at the bottom of the slide on the outside. Water would seep in there and travel under the bed to the sides at the head of the bed.
From the factory there was a small bead of caulk there and as we traveled it let go and there was a leak. Take a close look at that area and I think you may find some gaps in the caulk.

Then there is always those side seals to look at when you extend the slide. If they don't flip out all the way water can come in there.

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
Just cured a problem similar to the one described by Jolu. Both sides of the bed in our 2955 were soaked after a rain. Had to caulk the strip identified by Jolu, as well as the screws holding in the top corner plates on each side of the slide. Also found caulk gaps on the lower corner seams and fixed them. No more leaks!
gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Joe, I was looking at that caulk and it looks OK, guess I should dig it out and replace it.

Peter, the TOP CORNER PLATES, do you mean the 4 x 4 plated that are in each corner?

I did notice that after opening the slide up, I was looking at the rubber seal that's attached to the slide itself. The piece that goes across the top, when I pulled down on the end towards the front of the camper, water came out the hole.

This piece of seal does not overlap the side seal real good, its falls a little short. I looked at the same seal on the main slide and the horizontal seal is completely over the side seal.

Is it possible that the horizontal seal is cut too short allowing the water to run inside and down the slide. I did see water laying on the lip where the black seal sits that seals the opening.

Pictures will come tomorrow.

This leak did happen when the slide was in, not out.

Thanks Joe & Peter for your replies.....
Old 08-28-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jolu

Tom,
I had a leak in our 3150RL and it got wet on both sides of the bed. I finally discovered the leak was at the top of that metal strip that is about 4" wide at the bottom of the slide on the outside. Water would seep in there and travel under the bed to the sides at the head of the bed.
From the factory there was a small bead of caulk there and as we traveled it let go and there was a leak. Take a close look at that area and I think you may find some gaps in the caulk.

Then there is always those side seals to look at when you extend the slide. If they don't flip out all the way water can come in there.

Joe
Had the same leak along that seem on my 3150. Resealed it with silicone and now it's fine. T dried the floor with a hair dryer. It took me a few days to track the leak down and solve the problem. Now I see I am not alone!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:56 AM   #6
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Is it possible that the water is running behind the rubber seal.

[/URL][/img]
I did notice that if I pulled down on the horizontal piece of seal, water came out of it.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Tom I would not say it is not possible for water to run in at that seal. If it is not snugging up at the top when the slide is in.
I took a look at my seal at the top and it is over the top of both side seals.
If you want to replace that seal yourself, you can buy that seal at most rv supply stores or they can order it for you. It comes is all different sizes. If you go to a Montana dealer he should have the correct size. It is not all that expensive. The newer Montana has the black and grey seal. I used one of the older black seals on one leg of the big slide. It works just fine also.
That seal will just slide out when you remove those square corner pieces. There is one screw from that corner going into the spline of the seal.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #8
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Thanks Joe,

I also looked at my main slide, and the horizontal seal really overhangs the vertical seal. I also noticed that water was laying down in the lip right below where the black horizontal seal is that closes in the opening, in the same corner that leaked.

I guess I don't understand how water got inside the horizontal seal, unless, like Peter said up above, its coming through the screws.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
gypsies2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10209
Tom:
Sorry for the delay in getting back. Yes, I was referring to the 4 X 4 plates on the top corners. The screws that need caulk are the ones that screw onto the wall itself, lower right on the front plate and lower left on the rear plate. Hope this helps.
gypsies2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #10
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
When we had that same leak in our 3455 and it was as Jolu described. I would be looking all around at the base of the slide and along that metal strip, from there the water seems to travel along and in.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Thanks everyone, I will caulk the screws and re-caulk around the 4" band.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:14 AM   #12
acfeldman

M.O.C. #11661
If you are still under warranty take it to a dealer. Look real hard for damage to the wood in that room. If there is any damage to the wood have them replace every cabinet in there after they fix the leak. I had a slide leak on my last new class A and I didn't notice the damage at the bottom of the cabinets. That cost me thousands when I tried to sell it. Good Luck.
acfeldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:12 AM   #13
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
I have maybe 3 days left on the warranty, but I don't see any damage from the water. I guess since we got it all cleaned up and dried out the next day, we are OK.

I hate taking it back to the dealer, they are in Harrisburg, PA, a good 1.5 hour ride, and, well, I'd rather try to fix it myself than take it back there.
Old 09-03-2011, 10:40 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I had the leak in my BR slide and it turned out to be that 3 inch wide piece of tape that looks like eterabond the water was coming down the wall and then head board. I removed the old tape and put a new strip of eterabond over all the screws that hold on the gasket there was some areas that never stuck from the factory. but it dont leak now.