Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 PM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cbgaloot

Oops, sorry double posted. I thought the first one didn't work.
You can delete those double posts or even a post you regret. As the author of the post, when looking at it, you will see an extra icon on the top line (where the date of the posting is displayed). There are usually five icons, but as author there is a sixth one. The icon is a page with a trash can. Click on it and the unwanted post will be deleted.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #22
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
Thanks, Karl. (Or Susan)
cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:30 AM   #23
cbgaloot
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10337
I guess this is just another example of some RV dealers charging way too much for service.

I recently had a new 5th wheel hitch put on my TV.

RV dealer quote $1449, installed.

Local shop $803, installed. Different brand hitch but in the same price range when I checked on the web.

AND, when I first visited the local shop, he was installing a hitch for that RV dealer.

I'm not talking bad about all RV dealers, but I never met one that was shy about the sticker price.
cbgaloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #24
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
I just had ours in at a local rv service shop to have metal stems installed so I could use my TST system. They told me that metal stems can't beinstalled on my rims. Is there a special type of stem we need you use?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #25
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This web page has they type of valve stems I used on my TR6 rims. I used the 1505L. the TR6 rim has small holes so you have to get the small grommets.
So the first question is what type of rims do you have?
One of these should work for you.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #26
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
I'm not sure what type of rims they are. I'll have to check for markings when I get home and pick it up. They are the aluminum ones that come with the 2011s.

The shop was pretty busy today. I kind of get the feeling that they just didn't want to deal with finding the right stem.
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #27
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
drknapp,

There are a couple of different brands that one or the other of should work. The one I use on just about every application is the TR416. It comes with 2 sizes of rubber seals to fit whichever size hole your wheels have. They are held in place by a washer and a nut on the outside of the rim. I like this style best, but some wheels have a recess that the washer will not fit into. In that case, there is one made by Enkei that goes into the wheel from the outside and has two hex nuts inside the wheel to hold it in place. The Meyers part number for this one is 24123.

Take your trailer to a reputable tire dealer instead of an RV service center and I'm sure you will find it can be done. If you don't know any reputable tire dealers, try this website www.tirepros.com and use the dealer locator tab.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #28
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Thanks Lonnie. I'll take it to a tire shop. He said it was recessed and that's why they couldn't do it. I appreciate the help.
drknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #29
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I have the same trailer and it has Tredit To4 Al wheels. I had to use the Enkie valve that Lonnie B mentioned above Meyers 24123 with the double nut on the underside. The 416 would not work as the washer would not fit in the hole from the top. See my post under "Marathon Tires" for more info. Lonnie B is our MOC tire expert.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:58 PM   #30
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I also was told due to the recess they couldn't use a metal valve stem. Also as previously stated find a truck tire shop. Had mine done at one and they did 4 tires in well under an hour. Proper equipment makes all the difference.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:25 PM   #31
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I got my stems with the Hawkshead monitor system and I take a tire off and take it to the tire shop when I have the time or a slow leak in the tire and they install them included in the price of the repair.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #32
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

drknapp,

There are a couple of different brands that one or the other of should work. The one I use on just about every application is the TR416. It comes with 2 sizes of rubber seals to fit whichever size hole your wheels have. They are held in place by a washer and a nut on the outside of the rim. I like this style best, but some wheels have a recess that the washer will not fit into. In that case, there is one made by Enkei that goes into the wheel from the outside and has two hex nuts inside the wheel to hold it in place. The Meyers part number for this one is 24123.

I just got my Durvas 500s installed at COSTCO and got my steel stems at American Tire for $2 @. They were the only ones in the area that had them for the recessed stem hole. I looked on the Myers site and their # is 24194. It was for the small hole and I like the nut on the outside instead of inside. It was also rated for 200psi. May double nut them when I find a nice chrome nut. Hope they work

Take your trailer to a reputable tire dealer instead of an RV service center and I'm sure you will find it can be done. If you don't know any reputable tire dealers, try this website www.tirepros.com and use the dealer locator tab.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:10 AM   #33
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Ron, I paid $5 per tire X 5 tires here in Waynesville NC. You can come down here and have it done and spend the rest of the CW charge on a mini-vacation!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote